PDA

View Full Version : Collapsible stock length

Wondering Beard
27 November 2010, 12:43
I've seen four, five and six position receiver extensions for collapsible stock but I can't tell if it makes a diffence in stock length.

With the stock all the way out (and assuming the same stock), are they all the same length or are the ones with more positions longer?

Paulo_Santos
27 November 2010, 13:29
If you are short, I'd get the 6 or 5 position stock. The difference between the 4 and 6 position stock is that the 6 position stock has more positions for the short length. The 4 position stock goes from closed to open in the mid position, which sucks if you like your stock in between the closed and mid position.

AR-10
27 November 2010, 14:01
Listen to the above post, and don't assume that a 4-position tube has four, equally spaced out holes. They don't.

Buy a 6-position receiver extension and forget about it.

Wondering Beard
27 November 2010, 15:00
If you are short, I'd get the 6 or 5 position stock. The difference between the 4 and 6 position stock is that the 6 position stock has more positions for the short length. The 4 position stock goes from closed to open in the mid position, which sucks if you like your stock in between the closed and mid position.

If I am short? You mean my height?

I'm 6'3" but I'm not sure what that has to do with my question, unless I missed something.

Right now, I use a 4 position milspec tube from Colt and shoot it with the stock all the way out. It's a position I like and I wouldn't want to go any longer (this last part being the basis of my question).

Now, if I where to buy a new AR whose tube has 5-6 postions and I extend the stock all the way out, is it going to be longer than the 4 position tube with its stock taken all the way out?

Paulo_Santos
27 November 2010, 15:08
If I am short? You mean my height?

I'm 6'3" but I'm not sure what that has to do with my question, unless I missed something.

Right now, I use a 4 position milspec tube from Colt and shoot it with the stock all the way out. It's a position I like and I wouldn't want to go any longer (this last part being the basis of my question).

Now, if I where to buy a new AR whose tube has 5-6 postions and I extend the stock all the way out, is it going to be longer than the 4 position tube with its stock taken all the way out?

Yes, I meant your height. I'm short and the 4 position stocks suck because they are too short in the closed position and too long in the first position. Generally they are pretty much the same length in the extended position. Some will vary some, but it isn't drastic. The difference is generally in the spacing of the holes.

Wondering Beard
27 November 2010, 15:26
Aah

Makes sense now.

Thanks [:)]

AR-10
27 November 2010, 15:32
This is the best pic I could find that shows the two types side by side:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5492/90760665.jpg

In answer to your query, the first and last holes will be in the same spots - the difference is what happens between those holes.

Wondering Beard
28 November 2010, 14:00
Thanks AR-10, that helps a lot.

One question: are the Mil-Spec tubes only 4 positions or can they be had with 5-6 positions or is the difference only one of tube dimensions?

AR-10
28 November 2010, 14:07
Mil-spec receiver extensions can be found with 4, 5 or 6 holes.

I've never seen a commercial receiver extension with 4 holes, I thought only Colt used them and their tubes are definitely mil-spec. (Edited to add, that does not mean they don't exist...)

Your best bet is to get a mil-spec 5 or 6-position tube, that way you'll have a lot more buttstock options to choose from and you'll never find yourself needing one more hole to achieve the desired length of pull.

Quib
28 November 2010, 14:32
I've never seen a commercial receiver extension with 4 holes, I thought only Colt used them and their tubes are definitely mil-spec. (Edited to add, that does not mean they don't exist...)

Your edit is correct......they do exist, my son has one on his carbine.

Eric
28 November 2010, 23:16
If I recall correctly, very early RRA ones were 4 position.