PDA

View Full Version : New to building and very large ideas.

Citizen
29 November 2010, 09:36
Hi all,

I am new to build AR's. I have been reading as much as possible so that I am educated. It seems to me that it isn't that difficult to really build one. It seems that if you know what parts you need and how to put it all together (and also some minor mechanical knowledge) that anyone can do it, please correct me if I am wrong.

I plan on buying a stripped lower receiver and the buying a parts kit. I will be getting my own Magpul stock and grip. Then I will buy an upper receiver, bolt carrier and charging handle. Now for the barrel I have some questions.

I would like to do a setup I have seen in the past: Longer Rail system than barrel and flash hider is the only part actually visible of the barrel. Now the two options I am looking at is a 13"5 rail on a 11.5" barrel or a 13.5" rail on a 14.5" barrel. Preferably the fist option. I like the Noveske KX3 idea with this as well. So it looks like if I were to go through with this setup I would need Barrel, rail, low profile gas block, flash hider, and parts kit for the barrel.

Now what am I forgetting or not thinking of here? What problems (if any) can I run into while doing this?

Thanks in advance.

AR-10
29 November 2010, 10:05
I have recently discovered that more "real estate" on the handguard is always a good thing.

I put a 7" on my carbine and after mounting everything up there just isn't a lot of room left.

Just so you know, Rainier Arms sells a 14" DD Lite that I think is made exclusively for them.

Here it is:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1076

If you scroll down there's a pic of one around a 14.5" barrel.

Citizen
29 November 2010, 10:36
Also the other option I have been looking at is a 14.5" barrel with a 14" Rail. So that DD Lite is a very viable option.

Hmac
29 November 2010, 13:04
I assume you're aware of NFA barrel length restrictions and the hoops you have to jump through for a short-barrel rifle?

Creeky73
29 November 2010, 16:23
Might I offer a little bit of advice about building your own? As someone who got seduced by how easy everyone makes it sound to build an AR (and it is, once you have the tools) let me forewarn you: if you do not have the majority of the tools needed for the build already, I would pass on building it. At least pass on building the upper. The lower is no big deal at all, and I would even recommend doing it so that you know exactly how it works. But for the upper, especially if you are going to do it by the books, you could easily spend $200 just on tools alone. That is $200 you could tack onto your budget for a nicer upper, and just buy that part pre-built. Now, if you have access to someone who has the tools and you don't have to spend that much money on it, go for it. As for myself, I had to absorb the full cost of every single tool needed for the build, and I spent a grip of cash on it and mind you that most of these tools are going to sit in a tool box and collect dust once I am through with my current project. And I totally wish I would have just bought a built upper (which I eventually did anyway, and now still have half a gun sitting around in parts waiting to be built) and called it good. Everyone talks about how much better of a gun you can build for the same money as buying one off the shelf, and that is absolutely true, if you don't have to buy the tools as part of that particular build. Just my worthless $.02.

Paulo_Santos
29 November 2010, 17:19
If it was a gun I was going to depend my life on and I never put one together, I wouldn't do it myself.

Eric
29 November 2010, 21:59
Might I offer a little bit of advice about building your own? As someone who got seduced by how easy everyone makes it sound to build an AR (and it is, once you have the tools) let me forewarn you: if you do not have the majority of the tools needed for the build already, I would pass on building it. At least pass on building the upper. The lower is no big deal at all, and I would even recommend doing it so that you know exactly how it works. But for the upper, especially if you are going to do it by the books, you could easily spend $200 just on tools alone. That is $200 you could tack onto your budget for a nicer upper, and just buy that part pre-built. Now, if you have access to someone who has the tools and you don't have to spend that much money on it, go for it. As for myself, I had to absorb the full cost of every single tool needed for the build, and I spent a grip of cash on it and mind you that most of these tools are going to sit in a tool box and collect dust once I am through with my current project. And I totally wish I would have just bought a built upper (which I eventually did anyway, and now still have half a gun sitting around in parts waiting to be built) and called it good. Everyone talks about how much better of a gun you can build for the same money as buying one off the shelf, and that is absolutely true, if you don't have to buy the tools as part of that particular build. Just my worthless $.02.
I was going to essentially say then same thing, but then figured is was easier to quote. [:D]
Also, there are a bunch of reputable shops that will build what you want if it is not available as an off the shelf item.

Citizen
30 November 2010, 10:55
Yes I have been thinking about all these things which pushes me into to forgetting some of the earlier idea's and just go with a 16" barrel. BCM sells a 16" complete upper receiver with a Troy rail systems that looks like a great option.

TehLlama
3 December 2010, 20:03
My experience is that a very light rifle feels shorter than it really is. A 6lb 14.7"/BC1.0 will feel handier than most SBR's, and simple light rifles often come with the added benefit of being more affordable (read you can use better components where it matters most: barrels, BCG's, FCG/LPKs)

Tremendously long rails look great, but if you're not using the real estate all the way up, that's just added weight at the worst part (balance wise) - I'd say a 16" middy with a handguard in the 9-12" range would be an ideal starting point (TROY TRX Extreme, VTAC, DD Lite).
A 16" CHF Lightweight barrel would be there as well - BCM, DanielDefense, and Centurion all make great options there, and you can get them complete from a variety of places (e.g. the Smartgunner DD Packages, the BCM Factory BFH uppers with TROY rails, or Monty's direct options with Lite rails).

The KX3 is intended for shorter barrels, and I wouldn't bother. The Battlecomp (1.0 or 1.5), SEI Vortex, TROY Claymore, Levang Comp, or AAC Blackout would be the options I'd consider.

Citizen
4 December 2010, 22:00
Thank for the input. I am glad I don't have the money for this now. It gives me plenty of time to decide whats right and for the most part get the idea's of 'oh this would look awesome' I am pretty practical and so a heavy weapon with too much real estate isn't really what I'm looking for. Most likely I will go with this BCM with the 10" rail.

The Wolverine
5 December 2010, 11:37
Go to http://www.brownells.com and watch the videos, they have a complete video series on the web site that you can watch on every step of the build, I did, and just put one together, and will build another.