PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 SPX

neobium
29 November 2010, 10:21
I have taken my Mossberg 930 SPX out a couple of times to shoot it, and am having some difficulties. The first time, I used target loads (Winchester or Remington, I forget which) and had a couple failures-to-eject (a stovepipe or similar as I recall). Then, this weekend, I bought a box of Winchester target shells at Walmart and had a couple of similar failures and finally around round 12 or so, a showstopping failure. The spent shell remained in the chamber, and the bolt locked up and refused to open. Additionally, a shell fed out of the tube underneath the elevator door, and a second was partially out of the tube. I had to remove the whole trigger assembly to get the shells out from behind the elevator, and also pull the mag tube cap and jerk on the barrel to get the bolt to finally let go.

I called Mossberg, and the tech just said "you can only shoot high-powered shells in that gun" - which I had not heard before. I skimmed the manual, and saw no indication of that at all - and it just sounds ridiculous, anyway. What I HAVE heard on some forums is that it might be best to break the gun in with powerful shells, and then things are smoother afterward.

Anyone have knowledge on this?

Fallschirmjäger
29 November 2010, 11:00
Current wisdom (which means we have no statistical evidence to prove it, but it seems to work anyway) is that new 930's seem to appreciate being "broken in" with a few runs with full-strength shells before moving on to anything else. Try a few boxes of full-strength loads, even if they're WallyWorld 3inch turkey loads and see what effect that has.

Optimus Prime
29 November 2010, 12:42
I've had issues with the cheap Winchester bulk ammo in my 930 (non-SPX.) Grab some Federal (same price at Wal-mart here) and see how that goes for you, zero issues in mine.

neobium
29 November 2010, 12:47
I was thinking I'd try a break in period with some full power ammo, and I also thought the cheapo shells could be a part of the issue (they weren't even brass, something silver, but not steel - aluminum?). But I was surprised at how spectacular the fail was. Two popping out of the mag while the spent one jams and the bolt sticks shut - yikes!

m24shooter
29 November 2010, 17:15
The problem with talking to the guys at the service center is that they frequently either have no idea what they're talking about or they are wrong. You don't have to use full power loads, but the shotgun is a defensive intended shotgun and does tend to do better with the hotter loads. That said, I've never really had problems with lighter loads.
It sounds like you may have some cheap rounds that are sticking in the chamber. I've heard of problems with the cheaper value pack type rounds having the alloy in the base expand during firing and gripping any imperfection in the chamber. This isn't just with the 930, but notoriously with the 870 Express and a few others. The cheap stuff is just that: cheap. I would clean the shotgun very well, inside and out. Polish the chamber with some steel wool and a wooden dowel in a drill. Polish, don't remove metal or anything like that. Run some high end rounds through it at or above 1200-1250 fps. I've heard of some people even using 3" slugs for a while in problematic new shotguns and then the problems go away with lighter loads.
It may be that with the gas system shotgun if the bolt locked forward that might have induced the feed problem.
You may also want to try running your gun wetter.

Not_A_Llama
24 December 2010, 21:11
I'll just leave a bit of my experience with this gun - mine chokes on the Winchester Universals from Walmart. It's a fail to eject issue that sometimes couples with doublefeeds. It appears the shells aren't powerful enough to cycle the gun. My gun also chokes on Super-X's, and the "Federal Multipurpose". Curiously, the blue-boxed Federal Game Load shells are cheaper than the cheap 4-packs, and work very well - they're speced at 1290 FPS.

My friend's 930SPX eats all ammo perfectly well. Disconcertingly, I sold my Remington 11-87 Police to finance my 930SPX purchase - the Remington fed the Winchesters fine.

The gun's been back to Mossberg once, to no avail. It did get a lot more brass markings on the inside of the receiver, but it doesn't seem much else was done.

I'm curious if anyone with a 930 SPX has had any luck specifically with the Winchester Universals?

RELOADER1
28 December 2010, 01:54
Just a quick note: I recently purchased the SPX and have not yet gotten out to fire it. However, after reading several posts on the web about malfunctions and break-in periods, I decided to COMPLETELY disasssemble my new gun to give it a thorough cleaning. Man, am I glad I did! You couldn't imagine the filth and grime I pulled out of this gun. Especially inside of the magazine tube. Before I disassembled the shotgun, I put seven rounds in the mag and cycled it several times. Many times the follower got hung up in the tube resulting in a FTF. Also the action release button was quite stiff and gummy feeling. A thorough cleaning has solved theses issues and I'm looking forward to shooting the gun. Scheduled to go out and shoot it on the 30th of Dec. I will post my experience soon thereafter. Hopefully good news..LOL

m24shooter
28 December 2010, 16:04
When you clean the new ones, make sure you get the gas ports. I've heard of some of that funk (which seem to be in ALL Mossbergs) has been found to be fairly solid in the ports, creating malfs. After the crud was cleaned out they did just fine.

RELOADER1
6 January 2011, 17:42
Hey guys, as I said before I had planned to shoot my 930 SPX on 12/30. Well, I did make out and I am happy to say that everything went absolutely great. My SPX shot flawlessly with all types of ammo. The first round down the pipe was "el cheapo" low base, low brass, wally world Federal 1oz. #6 bird shot. I shot many, many, many rounds of this stuff (200 to be exact) ( 8 boxes) and the gun refused to malfunction in any way! Please note: there was NO break-in period required to get this gun to function dependably. Like I stated in an earlier post, I gave my SPX a very thorough cleaning before ever attempting to fire it. Some of the things that I did notice were: The rear sight had to be adjusted down about 11 clicks to be on target at 100 yards with a Winchester 1oz slug. After the adjustments the slugs were right on the money. Also, I guess maybe the only complaint I can come up with is the rear sight base or rail worked loose after about 50 rounds. Luckily I had a Leatherman on hand with the appropriate bit attachment to re-tighten the base. That's the best I can do with the con's on the gun. I am absolutely excited about owning this gun! In my opinion it is 100% reliable and worthy of trust in any situation. I think Mossberg got it right on this one guys. Time and usage will be the only testament to it's durability but as far as reliability is concerned my gun gets 5 stars. I've ordered a Tac Star side saddle and heat shield and I will post pics when I get' er done. From what I've read the heat shield will require some modifications. Pics to come.[:D]

m24shooter
7 January 2011, 07:51
Some guns have required a break in. I think it just the uniqueness of shotguns in general, similar to patterning.
The rails should be checked before you shoot as that is a problem that a lot of people have reported. At least yours had the right screws in them.
I would say Mossberg got it mostly right on the 930 SPX, there are quite a few things they could have done differently and better in terms of design, and a lot they could have done better in QC and service.
Glad your shotgun is working, and hope you have fun with it.

Force
8 February 2011, 03:41
I just recently acquired a Mossberg 930 SPX.
Gave it a thorough cleaning, then took it out back for a test run.
Shot a box of Winchester Expert Hi-Velocity #2 shot to start with. No Malfunctions.
Moved to some cheap no name 8 shot. Ran 2 boxes through the 930 with 0 malfunctions.
Finished up with about 10 slugs, and 50 rds of 00 buck.
Again, 0 malfunctions of any kind.
Gun ran like a damn Singer sewing machine ! Ate everything I put in it.

I did notice that the front 2 screws on the receiver mounted pic rail were lose after firing. Blue loc-tite fixed that.

I would like to thank M24Shooter for his excellent review that he started back in 2007.
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?167-Mossberg-930-SPX-Review&highlight=mossberg+930+spx
( His review pretty much sealed the deal for me over the Rem 870 Tac)
I added a Tac-star 6 shot side saddle, and a Nordic barrel clamp with Pic rail.
The 930 SPX is now my Patrol shotty of choice.

m24shooter
9 February 2011, 11:12
Thanks, glad you liked it. Keep shooting that shotgun!
I will continue to update it, and I'm hoping to have some more stuff written up in the next few months.

Wastegate
7 March 2011, 13:16
M24Shooter, I noticed porting on you most recent pics. Who did the port work?

m24shooter
7 March 2011, 18:44
That was done through Mike Shain at Aimpro Tactical in Conifer, Colorado.
He's got a good shop and does some great work. I just sent him the FCG for my 590A1 for an overhaul today. He's also got another 930 SPX barrel that he's working on for me.

BLACK LION
9 March 2011, 20:30
I just brought my SPX home and I had a "Bulldozer" kit waiting for it. I took it apart and went through it to clean it up a bit and then I frog lubed everything that was metal. I began the process of attaching the Bulldozer rail and when I finally reached the end I ran into a "black swan".
Please tell me how in the hell I get the damn spring back in the mag tube??? Thx...

Sup Force.....

m24shooter
13 March 2011, 07:57
You have to put the spring in before you put the mag tube extension back on, just as with normal assembly.

Policetacteam
19 March 2011, 16:29
Curious if anyone has had any issues installing the Nordic Components barrel clamp with tac rail. The section that is supposed to fit around the barrel appears to be too small! The section that goes over the magazine tube is a perfect fit but when it comes to the barrel it is just too small!! I've checked and double checked to make sure the correct half is on the right magazine tube and it is! I love this clamp! The machining and finishing are perfect, the edges have been radiused and have no sharp edges. It is very simple yet extremely solid...it just doesn't seem to fit this barrel! :/ Ideas!?!

m24shooter
21 March 2011, 14:51
I emailed you on this, but to put the info out in the open it may be the barrel you have.
The third gen barrels are thicker than the first two, and that may be what your issue is.
I will check into it and see what I can find out for you.

Vern1968
21 March 2011, 16:32
Curious if anyone has had any issues installing the Nordic Components barrel clamp with tac rail. The section that is supposed to fit around the barrel appears to be too small! The section that goes over the magazine tube is a perfect fit but when it comes to the barrel it is just too small!! I've checked and double checked to make sure the correct half is on the right magazine tube and it is! I love this clamp! The machining and finishing are perfect, the edges have been radiused and have no sharp edges. It is very simple yet extremely solid...it just doesn't seem to fit this barrel! :/ Ideas!?!

Had the exact same problem you have. I also love the clamp, very high quality. What I did was found a socket that had near exact diameter as the barrel. I put it on a air wrench and turned on the inside of the clamp. It (the clamp) being aluminum wore away evenly and is now a perfect fit on my barrel. The only thing I would do differently is to attach some very fine emory cloth to the socket somehow to make it easier. Make sure you don't grind down into the threads of the clamp. Two people would make the job a lot easier. I marred the tar out of my barrel and extension tube trying to make the clamp work before the fix. I'm trying to make mine look like m24's gun. I want to run this thing hard. I also ordered the Vang Comp safety and the Mesa Tactical side saddle. Both items were backordered, damn. I'll try to get some pictures up. Next purchase, Elzetta light with a Gear Sector or Larue light mount!

DCC
28 March 2011, 23:54
930 SPX CATASTROPHIC FAILURE

Hey all, new to the forum but I thought my post would be of interest to 930 spx owners. Bought mine new in December, broke it in using buckshot/slug loads (also did thorough cleaning prior to first time out) after which I started to feed birdshot with only occasional FTE's. Then the problems began. I began having FTF AND FTE's, after which the bolt catch assembly pin FELL RIGHT OUT OF THE GUN DURING FIRING. Upon further inspection, I found that the retaining clip that holds the pin in place was no where to be found and to this day I'm not sure how it came out in the first place. Called mossberg, customer service rep by the name of Santa asked for my address and after approx 2 weeks, i rec'd new clips in the mail ( I was never asked to return the gun for servicing).

I replaced the clip (easy enough) and off to the range I went.

After the second round of birdshot (federal, low base ammo), the bolt COMPLETELY LOCKED UP and after further inspection the RECEIVER WAS BULGING BOTH AT THE EJECTION PORT TOWARDS THE RAIL, AND FROM LEFT TO RIGHT. The bolt lock up lug apparently forced it's way back into the receiver after the second shot without dropping out of the way first, causing the reciever to deform under the recoil of the load! I am convinced that if I was using buck or slug rounds, the receiver would have completely blown apart seriously injuring myself or the shooters next to me. The worst part was that my wife uses the gun...if something happened to her, I don't know what I would have done. Placed a call to customer service and spoke with Javier Contreras (per recommendation by some members on this site). They would not put him on the phone and the rep I spoke with initially said that I should have send the gun in to the service center the first time around. I forwarded them all of my correspondance with the first rep indicating nobody ever said to send the gun in for service. 4 days later, I rec'd a pre-paid postage stamp to send the gun in.

About 3 weeks later, Javier called and said they would most likely send me a new gun. 1 week after that, I rec'd a brand new shotgun (evidenced by a new serial number) with all of my complaints that I sent to them resolved ( I included pictures of the failed receiver). The new gun had a straight front sight post (the original was canted), and it appears that the service center had bored 1 of the 2 gas port holes larger to accomodate lighter loads. I took the gun to the range a week ago and so far has cycled 75 birdshot loads without any break in using heavy loads.

I am very hesitant to shoot this new gun wtih heavy loads due to my experience with the other gun. I'm going to continue to shoot light loads through before I transition to heavy loads to make sure that this gun functions the way it's supposed to. I contemplated selling the new one, not exactly sure at this point what step I will take next.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling but if any of you have run into this type of problem, please post your experience. If you need advice on how to deal with their customer service, post up as well. This was a headache and a half and I just want to save anybody else the hassle.

m24shooter
29 March 2011, 07:15
The only other rupture that I've seen/heard of has been the guy with the Wolf squib load that shot another round into the stuck slug and burst the barrel. Never heard of the bolt release pin falling out. That little pin is tiny and I can't imagine how that failed.
Glad you're ok and that OFM took care of getting you a new shotgun. Would have liked to have seen pics though.
I've shot standard and 3" loads without any issues.

DCC
6 April 2011, 23:03
Update: Thanks for the reply m24shooter. I've taken the new shotgun out twice now and so far has had no failures/malfs. Used Winchester bird and wolf slugs/rem buck and no problems so far. Looks like Mossberg bored one of the two gas ports a bit wider to cycle the birdshot. Whatever they did, it seems to be working. Also, I've put a total of about 200 shells through, and I'm not seeing the bolt lock up lug wear down like my first one did. I think the 'rounding off' of the lock up lug in the first shotgun allowed the bolt to travel back before the carrier during the impulse, thus creating the bulge in the receiver. Well...i"m still doing trials with this gun so I'll keep everyone update if I run into problems. Slowly gaining some trust in it....

BTW: i do have a pic of it on my phone, not sure how to post that up. Pick doesn't do it justice anyway but if someone would tell me how to post, I would!

Fnalley
18 May 2011, 16:29
930 SPX CATASTROPHIC FAILURE

.......after which the bolt catch assembly pin FELL RIGHT OUT OF THE GUN DURING FIRING. Upon further inspection, I found that the retaining clip that holds the pin in place was no where to be found and to this day I'm not sure how it came out in the first place. Called mossberg, customer service rep by the name of Santa asked for my address and after approx 2 weeks, i rec'd new clips in the mail ( I was never asked to return the gun for servicing).

I replaced the clip (easy enough) and off to the range I went.

I just had the same pin fall out on me. I was out at Front Sight doing a 4 day shotgun course. I was loading when I felt something hit my hand then landed on the ground. I looked down in time to see the pin. I decided I better investigate and tried to unload my gun and as soon as I moved the bolt back, the whole release mechanism went sideways and got a severe jam. Took the mag nut off and unloaded the mag out the top. After inspecting the gun, I realized it was missing a clip for the pin. This gun was brand new.

I'm going to call Mossberg customer service tomorrow. This is not the 930 SPX, it is the 930 Tactical with heat shield and muzzle break.

I didn't have any FTE or any other types of malfunctions, but I only had put a 100 rounds of buckshot thru it. All Federal Flight Control stuff. When I got the gun, I did clean it and the mag tube was pretty gnarly.

Luckily I brought my Benelli Nova as a back up and finished the course with it. That gun works great except for the petrified wood recoil pad. [:D]

Pochos
23 May 2011, 16:25
The " break in" period is a bad excuse, guns are purchased for protection.
The snas happaned to me on another gun this is all crap.
Have ever heard a Break In period from HK, Beretta, SKB, etc most fauliares are ralted to USA made guns.
Thet have poor QC and tolerance issues.

raven01750
29 August 2011, 15:09
Well, M24 Shooter did a Fantastic Review on the 930. Plus with the NRA's 2009 Shotgun of the Year Award I pulled the trigger (so to speak) and ordered my 930 SPX. After almost three months waiting, it came out of the box with the following problems which are well documented.
The front site was cantered to the left severely.
The magazine tube was bent at the end.
And the gas system return spring didn't compress smoothly causing it to catch on the edge of the pusher assembly at the last coil and then POP the remaining way inside the pusher assembly.
After waiting almost three months for this shotgun, to say I was disappointed is an understatement. To think that "I" was the unlucky guy who got all of the documented problems was even worse. Especially since the front site issue has been documented since at least 2008.
I packed it right up and sent it back to the Texas facility for repair noting what was wrong and to please check the entire gun out for any other problems that may be hidden. Three weeks later it returned. With most of the same problems... They did replace the barrel. And it wasn't cantered to the left quite as bad as the first barrel. But cantered anyway. The gas system return spring was replaced. But it binded so bad that it almost wouldn't return to it's normal position. (This might be a cause for FTE?) The magazine tube was replaced. That was good. Then when I look at the invoices, they also replaced the picatinny rail. I guess that was damaged too.
I am sending it back again today. Hopefully for the last time. The VP that M24 Shooter talked to a few years back at Mossberg is moving on this coming month. I guess he had to throw up his hands about some problems that were just too hard to fix.
So why post this? First off, if the problems I have are fixed I know I will have a fantastic weapon. It's versatility to change barrels etc is a great feature. And yes I know other manufacturers have that feature. But you just have to thoroughly inspect the gun before you leave the shop. And before you fire it. Mine has yet to be fired.
Mossberg has covered the expense so far. Other than the $37.00 I spent to send it back the first time. They sent me a shipping label to return it now for the second time so I'm not incuring any expense there.
I wish I had different advice. But for the problems I am having with a gun straight out of the box, that have been documented for so long to still be appearing at the point of sale is unforgiveable. And confusing. This weapon is listed as a tacticle weapon. It should work and be 100% before it leaves the factory. I just can't imagine what is going on at Mossberg these days. I still want the gun. But I want it right. Not "almost" right...

Eric
29 August 2011, 18:27
Thanks for the current info, raven01750. I was contemplating picking up a 930 SPX prior to a class I was attending, but held off. Perhaps that was a good thing. It's really unacceptable that weapons are being shipped with glaring defects like that AND that they failed to square it away upon being returned.

raven01750
29 August 2011, 20:31
It'll all work out in the end. I have a Mossberg 410 from when I was a kid that still works perfectly. A lot of sentiment in the brand. I just get bummed out how we as the greatest country in the world, leaders in innovation and productivity, got to the point where a company that's almost 100 years old can't figure out how to fix something as simple as getting their subcontractors to provide them with accurate, reliable parts manufacturering. And even though they KNOW that the parts are not what they should be, they send it out anyway. It's disappointing and doesn't speak highly of the Mossberg Family.

tcecil88
4 September 2011, 08:06
To M24 shooter,
Thanks for the great review and all the work you put in for us. I bought a 3rd Gen 930SPX 2 days before I left for Saudi Arabia to work. Needless to say I have not shot it yet. I will be giving it a thorough cleaning and have been accumulating parts for it. When I rotate home I plan to spend to head to the range.
Thanks again!

m24shooter
5 September 2011, 05:49
Thanks, hope the review helped.
Stay safe, and I hope you get back soon. Enjoy that shotgun when you do.
CY6.

tcecil88
2 October 2011, 20:13
I returned home for the month and was able to install:
Nordic barrel clamp with rail inserts
Choate extended bolt handle
Mesa 6 round shell carrier
LPA front and rear tritium inserts for the sights
S&J oversize saftey
Flashlight mount with older Surefire 6P (circa 1996)
All said and done I really like the upgrades, however, I am thinking of upgrading the magazine extension. I saw your pics of different extensions on another forum and was wondering which you prefer. I am leaning toward the S&J bayonet kit (for the cool factor) but was wanting your opinion.
The shotgun fully loaded is already heavy and adding a steel tube extension will add more weight. Any thoughts on that as well are welcome.

m24shooter
15 October 2011, 06:07
The S&J unit is solid, and heavy. If you want the lug, it is the only option.
What stays on mine is the Nordic. Very light, very well made.

KStang986
29 October 2011, 06:55
Noticed some finish wear on the magazine tube where the piston sits. Is this normal?

m24shooter
31 October 2011, 13:50
It's normal.

KStang986
31 October 2011, 19:48
Thanks for the reply. Another user on the Mossberg forums said that the scraping and scoring was giving him problems. I personally had attributed the finish wear to stacking tolerances.

John Hwang
1 November 2011, 14:53
Sent in by email -

I tried to post a question, but it won't let me. I have a new 930 SPX with the red gas recoil spring in it. The gun won't cycle birdshot, and would barely cycle buckshot. I called Mossberg and followed their advice about lubing the gas system, but still it won't eject any round more than halfway.
Any suggestions?

Bill Kohnke
Paladin Armory

m24shooter
5 November 2011, 08:08
Stang:
Some wear is normal. Scoring isn't and should be occurrying. If you have that, then something is wrong with the shotgun.
John, if you could relay:
The SPX should cycle birdshot, but won't always. That's because while it does have a self-adjusting gas system, it is still a defensive shotgun that is really intended for defensive and duty loads, and the system needs to be robust enough to handle those. That means that it may be less tolerant of lighter loads.
However, that doesn't mean that it won't ever cycle light loads. Most of the reports of that issue seem to be resolved with cleaning and lubing the shotgun more and/or breaking it in with heavier defensive/duty loads. The break in period is unique to the shotgun but doesn't usually take too long. Shoot some buck and slugs for a while, clean and lube the shotgun, and then give it another try. It may take more than one interval.
As far as lube, ignore the manual and get it wet. Like the AR, the platform seems to run better with more lube rather than less.

GoesBang
13 November 2011, 18:31
Just purchased a 930 SPX. Put me in the camp of requiring a thorough cleaning before the range. Whether it is shipping, manufacturing or tooling, I don't care. Gunk is gunk. And there was a lot of it. I have noticed some issues on forums with magazine clamps. Remember, when you order from Nordic or Mesa or whomever, remember the barrel on newer models is a larger diameter. There is an early review of this weapon that gives directions of how to "enlarge" the clamp for the barrel in a vice. Otherwise, you need to call your supplier and make sure your clamps are designed for the newer 930 SPX.

Only shot a couple of boxes so far, but took the advice of some here that cleaned the weapon and used hotter loads. This advice worked well for me. I am looking forward to seeing for myself, a new Winchester 1200 heat shield from John Mansen, the larger charging handle from Nordic and the Streamlight TLR-2. If I am going to use this weapon for home protection, I might as well be prepared for the BG's!