PDA

View Full Version : shooting range design for basement?

BobinLaConner
29 November 2010, 19:33
Hypothetically speaking of course... If a person was designing a house and wanting to build a basement shooting range and the plan had a 50' x 12' room with concrete (walls and floor) area built into the basement foundation, what would be the way to build it out? I am sure excellent ventilation would be needed, drawing the air down range and exhausting out. Good lighting and some sound proof considerations for the neighbors of course. I have seen bullet traps and also sand "berm" style backstops. I would think it would have one shooting bench. Who knows, maybe it could double as a home bowling alley and golf practice cage.

There would not be that much shooting going on, but is there really a way to make a "reasonably priced" and safe, home shooting range?

phirehawk
1 December 2010, 08:24
A couple things. Introducing lead into an environment means you're liable for the damage that lead may cause FOREVER. The EPA does not mess around with this one. Doesn't matter if you sell the property either. Also, shoveling lead sucks. Ask me how I know. If I were to undertake such a task, I'd do my research on different styles of bullet traps AND what they're rated for. Shredded tire stair step berms work well for a while, but separating the lead later is a pain (eventually, you do have to remove it) and firing round after round that close can cause hot spots which in theory can lead to fires as it has burned down a couple of ranges. Sand is super messy, period. Steel backstops with spin chambers are great if you aren't shooting any rifle (the spin chambers will blow out). And yes, draw your exhaust air from down range. The noise in a concrete tube as small as you're thinking is awful. Lots of soundproofing and if the budget allows, say it with me, suppressor. Admit it, you needed the excuse to buy one anyway. [:D]

I know a couple of gunsmiths whom I've built test firing chambers for out of old Diebold safes with snail traps or spin chambers in. Still racks my nerves every time I think about firing a gun an inch away from a steel hole...

BTW, private companies (Targetworx for example) can design and build for you at a starting cost of around 30k.

BobinLaConner
1 December 2010, 20:00
Thanks for your thoughts... This is just one of those hair-brained ideas that rambles around in this head of mine sometimes. It just sounds so amazing to think of just going downstairs after dinner and shooting a few rounds to check a sight or a custom load. I will bat it around for a few months/years and come up with something (or just join a local range and not have the headache or the expense) I will take a look at some of the online companies like Targetworx like you mentioned. I guess I could get a pellet gun range in the basement in the meantime...