PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about carbine reliability

AR-10
1 December 2010, 09:01
I'm going to be taking my first carbine class next year and I've been getting my rifle ready - meaning I've been tweaking it and doing everything I can to ensure it's a shooter.

So far I've installed an H buffer to slow things down a bit, and an extractor "upgrade" kit which is basically a stiffer spring, a black insert which I already had, and an o-ring that I don't even want to put on - the extractor pin is super hard to insert with the o-ring in place.

What else can I do to make sure my rifle is reliable other than putting a bunch of rounds through it?

Paulo_Santos
1 December 2010, 09:21
Just have some spare parts available, such as the lower parts kit and an extra BCG, bolt, and charging handle. Preforably a back-up AR if available.

Also make sure your AR is zeroed so you don't waste too much time doing that.

AR-10
1 December 2010, 10:10
I've got spare parts and a spare upper, if I had another lower I'd have a complete backup weapon minus a red dot.

I'll probably end up buying a complete lower rather than mess around with building another one.

Your post got me curious though, you've seen a charging handle break before?

Paulo_Santos
1 December 2010, 10:28
Yes, they do break. Saw one break when I was in the service. Don't know what happened. It isn't as high on the priority list as the bolt and BCG though.

AR-10
1 December 2010, 13:04
Right now I've got a complete BCG along with some extra firing pins+retainers but the charging handle is not something I would have ever thought of as far as spares.

What about the o-rings that go around the extractor spring, do you run these?

I have to really squeeze the bolt in order to get the extractor pin in the hole, seems like it is putting a lot of tension on the extractor after installation.

Paulo_Santos
1 December 2010, 13:14
If you aren't having any problems, then don't worry about it. If you want to try it and see how your AR runs, go for it. My LMT came with it and it runs fine.

Eric
2 December 2010, 16:23
You're on the right track getting rounds put through it and dialed in before attending training. It amazes me when folks show up with an unfired weapon and are trying to install parts the morning of day 1. Without knowing what you're running, I would also suggest ensuring that the gas key is properly torqued and staked in place. Loctite screws on optics, mounts, etc. Also the receiver end plate needs to be staked in place. If your running an extra power extractor spring like the BCM, the o-ring typically isn't needed, as the spring provides more than enough tension on this own.

AR-10
3 December 2010, 10:36
I'm running a Colt lower with an LMT M4 upper + Colt M16 BCG.

Gas key was already staked and it looks like a pretty darn good job - good enough to where I didn't even consider breaking out the MOACKS.

My castle nut was also staked at the factory so I'm leaving it as is.

I am indeed running the BCM extractor upgrade and after replacing the spring I decided to leave the o-ring out, the new spring feels plenty strong.

I'm going to put at least 500 rounds through it before the class, can't really afford to shoot much more than that since I'm trying to build a backup weapon for the same class.

skd_tactical
3 December 2010, 12:08
Extra parts kit's are a lifesaver. I've been a Grunt in the Army for 12 years and I have seen the strangest things break on an M4 / M16. From take down pins, extractors, bolts, pistol grips, hammer pins, are the major ones. It's not as sensible to have an entire extra buffer tube, but when they get bent from a fall or vehicle crash a perfectly good weapon in all other aspects won't fire. I had my entire safety break off on a live fire once...... don't ask me how. I went to change from safe to semi and there was nothing there.
I keep a thing of super glue with me to rig things in case I don't have the proper part. While I wouldn't recommend it, sometimes you need the rifle so badly it's worth the risk (not in training, but other situations.)

Enjoy the shooting, being comfortable with the weapon controls is worth it's weight in gold.....whatever that means. Make sure you practice some immediate action drills for typical jams like stove-piped rounds, double feeds, Failure to Fire. Getting the weapon up and running again is a high priority especially if you don't have a pistol to transition too.

SOS

TehLlama
3 December 2010, 19:56
Spare parts are very helpful, and while at a class odds are somebody will have spares, planning on that is silly.

Murphy thrives in mechanical systems, expect things to break. A complete spare will have all the parts you need, but spares of common parts would be ideal (if cost is a nonissue, a spare BCG and LPK would be what I'd have in a range bag)

weasel661
3 December 2010, 22:30
I am proud owner of my 1st AR, I am just learning from the forums and trying to absorb as much as I can, thanks all

Deaj
5 December 2010, 16:20
I keep a complete BCG, LPK, extension (tube, action spring, & buffer), charging handle, and necessary tools on hand. I have similar spare parts kits for my M&P9 (springs, sear, extractor, and striker assembly) Mossberg 500 (safety assembly - the only real weak point AFAIK), and my CCW Kel Tec PF9 (extractor and springs). Ideally it would be nice to have a complete spare carbine on hand (likely to happen this coming year) but the spare parts ensure that I can repair just about anything short of a catastrophic failure.