PDA

View Full Version : Magpul XTM's?

SHIHAN
10 February 2008, 13:07
Stick which do you like better the new XTM's pr the XT's?

John Hwang
10 February 2008, 19:30
There are a few advantages to the XTMs. First, you can buy them in smaller panels and they cost less than the XTs. Because this is a Magpul design and they aren't paying royalties to Ergo, they can keep the costs down. Once they are on, they are rock solid and takes some effort to get them off.

The XT panels which are softer offer better grip but they can come loose over time if you take them on and off frequently.

Stickman
11 February 2008, 08:35
The XTMs are in a class by themselves. In terms of hard use, durability, and total protection, they are in a class all alone. While there are other hard panels, they lack the ability to be installed without sliding them over the rails/ removing equipment, and I'm not sure of any others that feature double locks to secure them to the rail.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_0193%201028%20Stick.jpg

SHIHAN
11 February 2008, 12:46
Thanks guys.

jeffy
19 May 2008, 17:43
Looks like the XTM's are shipping.

Magpul has them listed for $7.95, I think. Anyone know if thats for one panel's worth or just one pair?

Stickman
19 May 2008, 18:03
Its for a pack 8, not just a pair.

Edited to show its a pack of 8, not 6.

jeffy
19 May 2008, 20:02
Its for a pack (6 ?), not just a pair.

6 being, 3 matched pair? Seems like a good deal.

John have any idea when you'll be caring them?

TigerStripe
20 May 2008, 00:07
Originally Posted By Magpul:
Originally Posted By TigerStripe:
How much rail will "1" cover?

TIA,

TS

They are sold in packs of 8 which will cover ta carbine rail completly (the same as a XT panel). A pair is needed to complete a panel so each pair covers about a 1/4 of a carbine rail.

jeffy
20 May 2008, 11:30
AH, thanks for the update. That's even better.

TigerStripe
20 May 2008, 20:44
AH, thanks for the update. That's even better.

If that's for me, you're very welcome. If not, ignore this...

TS

jeffy
21 May 2008, 19:40
You can take some credit, too.

I searched for Sticks other post in the read only area and it in fact said 8 for $7.95, too!

I think I need one of each...

jeffy
19 June 2008, 22:09
Just an FYI, Magpul has all 4 colors available on their website.

TigerStripe
19 June 2008, 23:46
Just an FYI, Magpul has all 4 colors available on their website.

Thanks!

TS

MrMojoRisin
20 June 2008, 13:27
Compared to an XT panel how close do the new XTMs lay to the rail?

I like the texture of the XT panels but I prefer the low profile of ladders. How do these new XTMs feel when mounted?

gotm4
22 June 2008, 09:47
They're pretty darn thin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/dde57fb5.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/ec0f7555.jpg

Stickman
22 June 2008, 13:05
Compared to an XT panel how close do the new XTMs lay to the rail?

I like the texture of the XT panels but I prefer the low profile of ladders. How do these new XTMs feel when mounted?

I think the largest difference between XTMs and ladder covers when you compare the feel is that the ladders allow your hand to continue feeling the flat surface of the rail. The XTM is pretty thin, but still rounds out the rail, which changes the feel even though its not adding all that much to it.

jeffy
26 June 2008, 14:48
Just an update. I received one set of panels in FDE. Both green's and black are on backorder as of 6/20.

They add 5mm's to the thickness of the rail as opposed to 3mm with the ladders.

** edit: Black arrived a day later. Still waiting on Forest and OD green

Globemaster
2 July 2008, 23:35
I'm going to give them a tryout on my rifle length rail ... in combination with some ladders for effect.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/globemaster_oly/DSCN7332.jpg

SHIHAN
3 July 2008, 08:16
Not that it matters but I will be asked. Do these mar the finish on the rails?

jeffy
3 July 2008, 12:00
Not that it matters but I will be asked. Do these mar the finish on the rails?

The panels are a composite polymer. They aren't soft like ladders but they aren't that hard either. They're almost the same as the MIAD and CTR. Since they are a two-piece design, there is minimal sliding when installing and removing them as well. A lot less then with the ladders since they don't have to stretch over the rail. I think it's a non-issue anyway.

Stickman
3 July 2008, 12:34
Do these mar the finish on the rails?

No, they do not.

Talyn
4 July 2008, 13:12
Any eta on the rest of the colors?

jeffy
4 July 2008, 15:59

I'm still waiting on both Forrest and OD green. Typically, I'll see the charge the same day it's delivered.

Stickman
5 July 2008, 01:50

What colors aren't out yet?

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_4633%201028%20Stick.jpg

jeffy
5 July 2008, 20:34
What colors aren't out yet?

Well, even though they have all of the colors available doesn't mean they are shipping. My order is still outstanding since 6/20.

Talyn
5 July 2008, 22:54
I haven't seen any colors other than black advertised outside Magpuls' own site. Until they show up outside Magpul I figure they're not available even from Magpul.

TigerStripe
5 July 2008, 23:06
This is my opinion based on observation regarding ordering through Magpul's website. I think they try to get newer stuff, especially the tacticool colors, to their dealers and distributors. They've grown tremendously and they probably have less time to spend on small individual orders. Again, just my opinion.

TS

jeffy
6 July 2008, 00:14
This is my opinion based on observation regarding ordering through Magpul's website. I think they try to get newer stuff, especially the tacticool colors, to their dealers and distributors. They've grown tremendously and they probably have less time to spend on small individual orders. Again, just my opinion.

TS
I have only seen Black and FDE on any number of other sites. The only way I knew they had the greens available was that someone else on another forum said he ordered directly. Then I watched their site. I did email them but got no response. I'm sure they're bust fulfilling orders and trying to launch the other products that are in their '08 catalog. Although I do understand that they are fulfilling MIL orders first. As such, I'm not in a hurry and if someone needs them more then I do, then I'll just wait my turn. I was just giving others an idea of what they will be in for when ordering all 4 colors.

TigerStripe
6 July 2008, 09:58
I have only seen Black and FDE on any number of other sites. The only way I knew they had the greens available was that someone else on another forum said he ordered directly. Then I watched their site. I did email them but got no response. I'm sure they're bust fulfilling orders and trying to launch the other products that are in their '08 catalog. Although I do understand that they are fulfilling MIL orders first. As such, I'm not in a hurry and if someone needs them more then I do, then I'll just wait my turn. I was just giving others an idea of what they will be in for when ordering all 4 colors.

I haven't attempted to order any because I know there will be the initial rush. Honestly, I have even searched for them on sites other than Magpul's own site. They have only listed black for a few items such as the PM 20's even though I have some in FDE to T&E.

TS

jeffy
6 July 2008, 15:25
I haven't attempted to order any because I know there will be the initial rush. Honestly, I have even searched for them on sites other than Magpul's own site. They have only listed black for a few items such as the PM 20's even though I have some in FDE to T&E.

TS

Yeah, Magpul seems a bit slow on some items when updating their website. They're probably busy trying to increase mfg for the UBR and get the MOE lineup out the door. They have a full plate for what seems like a small company.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised they shipped the panels individually instead of waiting till the whole order was in.

TigerStripe
6 July 2008, 22:20
Yeah, Magpul seems a bit slow on some items when updating their website. They're probably busy trying to increase mfg for the UBR and get the MOE lineup out the door. They have a full plate for what seems like a small company.

Yeah, they have a lot of projects going on simultaneously.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised they shipped the panels individually instead of waiting till the whole order was in.

Demand and complaints...

TS

jeffy
25 August 2008, 13:51
Well, here's an update. After 2 months + 5 days, I received the rest of my order. Interesting thing though. The first set of panels were square while the last two had beveled corners. Other then that I see no differences.

jeffy
27 August 2008, 16:56
Correction, after really looking closely at the panels, they are very different. From the outward appearance, they look similar to the originals but flip then over and there are changes all over the place. The molds are all new. They have shaved off extra material here and there. The seams are in different locations. Here are some pics of the originals I got 2 months ago and the ones I just received.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/yokomura/LMT/745a9e56.jpg

TigerStripe
27 August 2008, 22:34
Yeah, they made a different mold. I'm sure some of it was to make small changes but they made one that allowed them to be produced faster. Nice pic!

TS

jeffy
28 August 2008, 11:53
Thanks. I need a bit more practice but I'm slowly getting the macro down. I'm used to shooting larger subjects.

Globemaster
11 January 2009, 08:51
I'm going to give them a tryout on my rifle length rail ... in combination with some ladders for effect.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/globemaster_oly/DSCN7332.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/globemaster_oly/DSCN7592.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/globemaster_oly/DSCN7589.jpg

Ryo
26 January 2009, 11:58
I just removed my Magpul XT for the XTM and it's pretty good. Plus I like the look of mixing matching the colors like in one of Stickman's photographs.

Haven't had a chance to photograph it yet.

Army Chief
31 January 2009, 01:11
Not to go too far off-topic, but I was clearing out old RSS entries (Stick: hint, hint), and came across MM's original heads-up on the TD SCAR panels (http://www.militarymorons.net/tango-down-scar-rail-panels-preview).

While I do like the modularity of the XTMs, as far as panels go, I have to admit that the SCAR offerings appeal to me in ways that the original TD's never did. The XTMs would seem to offer more outright versatility, to be sure, but I'm less certain which way I might turn in a head-to-head XT versus TD SCAR panel debate.

Then again, I always sort of had a soft spot for the original KAC panels, so my credibility may be suspect. :)

AC