PDA

View Full Version : Do you download your mags?

AR-10
10 December 2010, 12:30
I'm not talking about 20-round mags in your M16, I'm talking about modern day, 30-rounders.

More than one person has told me they do this, and I've heard a few different reasons why they do it.

The one that makes the most sense is the tactical reload - I played around with this and it does make it a little easier to insert the mag with the bolt in battery if you pull one or two rounds out.

I keep my mags loaded to full capacity, so if you do this I'd like to hear why.

Paulo_Santos
10 December 2010, 13:23
I only use PMags so I don't have to worry about downloading them.

TripleBravo
10 December 2010, 13:38

Me too...before Pmags though, I carried 28 in each 30 round mag.

Quib
10 December 2010, 13:47
Some info regarding "downloading" in my FAQ thread: http://http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1613-FAQ-s-BASIC-INSPECTIONS-AND-PROCEDURES (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1613-FAQ-s-BASIC-INSPECTIONS-AND-PROCEDURES)

AR-10
10 December 2010, 14:23
Thanks Quib, I really need to read that entire thread there is a lot of good info in there.

I've got PMAG's but I don't store them loaded because I've been running those exclusively.

My ammo cans are packed with metal mags that are loaded to max capacity, should I pull a couple of rounds out of those?

They are C Products stainless mags with Magpul followers.

Quib
10 December 2010, 15:08
If they prove to give you no problems when inserted in the weapon, loaded to 30 rds, I would leave them be.

DM1975
10 December 2010, 15:43
I have never had issues with USGI mags and loading to 30. Some people swear by downloading a round or two. Download if need be.

XCoastie
10 December 2010, 17:39
I download USGI mags by 2 rounds. But with PMags I keep the fully charged with 30 rounds.

oregonshooter
11 December 2010, 15:38
I download all mag, including PMAGs to 28.

bcammons
11 December 2010, 16:39
Ive run my stainless steel 30 rounders fully loaded and seated on a closed bolt.

Eric
13 December 2010, 06:43
I load 30 in my mags, except for a few USGI that have Wolff or SAW springs which are stiffer and those mags are specifically marked as holding 28. I understand the reasoning behind the download and some combinations require it. It comes down to knowing what works in your system. For those folks that must have a constant accountability of all rounds, it's imperative that you know how many rounds you have on board.

2ATA
13 December 2010, 07:31
I run 28 in all my mags. Consistency.

skd_tactical
13 December 2010, 12:29

Agreed. Not only do I only load 28 rounds in my mags, but I rotate my mags every month or so. I know it's not necessary but old habits die hard. About twice a month I also throw out or shoot my first round when doing constant ops as the primer gets worn a bit. I learned this the hard way in Iraq, I'll never keep a round anymore after the primer looks even a little worn. I'm a little CDO (OCD should be alphabetical) when it comes to bullets.

SOS

Mega
15 December 2010, 15:33

That's me.
When I get back from the range, the gun gets cleaned and the mags are reloaded.
They are then stored that way.

Darkop
15 December 2010, 22:48

Same here. have done this forever

until that day,
Darkop

rob_s
16 December 2010, 03:45
28 in all mags now, GI and Pmags.

I once had a chat with an AR manufacturer who's sample wasn't taking magazines on a closed bolt, even those that were downloaded. When we contact him he said his armorer, a former Ranger and Army range instructor, said that you always load with the bolt locked to the rear. I found this insightful to the kind of mindset that goes to these sorts of things.

I find the "load to 30" to be a self-correcting error. I watch shooter after shooter, month after month, with magazines that come falling out of the gun only to find that there are 30 rounds in it. What can be done on the static range, or the bench, or at home in your bedroom, does not equate to what can be done when things get more dynamic/stressful/exciting. I see this over, and over, and over again.

Eric
16 December 2010, 15:18
And, regardless of the type of mag or the number of rounds in the mag - push/pull can't be emphasized enough.

Just in case, for those not familiar with the term:
Push the magazine up into the mag well so that the magazine catch engages
then
Pull the magazine down to ensure that it is locked into place.

The term tap/tug is often used, which is essentially the same principal. However, if doing an overly aggressive tap with the bolt locked back, the top round has the potential to dislodge and induce a malfunction upon bolt release.