PDA

View Full Version : Best coating for a stainless barrel with bead-blasted finish?

AR-10
16 December 2010, 13:39
Has to be flat black and durable.

Discuss.

TripleBravo
16 December 2010, 14:23
There are several options out there. You can Duracoat or Cerakote the barrel in a flat black. These finishes are sprayed on by HVLP or airbrush. I have more experience with Duracoat than Cerakote, and I can say that I have found it to be very rugged when applied after proper prep work.

I had an opportunity recently to research two other processes often mentioned: Ionbond and Melonite finishing.

Based on advice from a trusted barrel expert, I went with Ionbond. The process is done at only 300 degrees while Melonite finishing is done at 1300 degrees with a rapid cool down process -- causing the potential danger of ruining the torque of the barrel extension if not done properly. Ionbod also maintains whatever finish the part is prior to the process. That is if you bead blast it so that it is matte, it will turn out matte. If you polish the item to a mirror finish, it will turn out polished (but black). Ionbond also claims to be twice as strong as the Melonite finish.

Mega
16 December 2010, 15:28
Agree with triplebravo.
I am a fan of IonBond.

DM1975
16 December 2010, 21:28
I bet truck bed liner would stick unbelieveably well ;)

AR-10
16 December 2010, 21:44
Rhino Lining on the barrel, huh. Maybe in YOUR neck of the woods LOL.

Wait until you see my new build, I'm building a "Recce". (on steroids)

Parts are incoming and so are photos.

I will need help picking optic but that is for another thread, I want a 1-8X scope but the prices are insane so I'm gonna have to settle for something else for the time being.

DM1975
17 December 2010, 06:27
Sweet, I can't wait to see it. My recce will be coming soon too I hope. Just gotta save up the scratch to get the rest of the parts.

todd.k
17 December 2010, 08:11
I'm not sure bedliner would hold up to the heat and I know it can burn...

I use KG Gunkote.

Stickman
17 December 2010, 16:31
I use Norrells MolyResin, which I believe is the same thing as KG Gunkote.

Specialized Armament
31 December 2010, 08:43
Birdsong Black-T (http://www.black-t.com/) is another option.

AR-10
2 January 2011, 10:21
I'm having Rainier do the KG thing on my barrel.

That Black-T looks nice, I wonder if that's where Springfield gets their custom 1911's done at?

DM1975
4 January 2011, 04:52
The Nitride barrel I got from them looks supurb. Too bad I am going to be spray painting it. [:D]

TripleBravo
4 January 2011, 13:57
Got my shipment of IonBonded stainless barrels....

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/Ballistic%20Advantage/barrel-webonly.jpg

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/Ballistic%20Advantage/barrel-extension-web-only.jpg

CRK- NIC.Ind
20 February 2011, 13:32
I know I am a little after the fact here, however if anyone would like to know more about Cerakote (Firearm coating, micro slick and DFAC™ (Dry Film Anti-Carbon) in more detail than what our website offers please feel free to PM me.

Ken
NIC Ind
Marketing