PDA

View Full Version : Rail Lengths

Russ
21 December 2010, 12:44
Sorry guys. Previously posted this question in wrong forum by mistake. Shaky mouse pointer hand, I guess. But I shoot fine!

I am interested in opinions regarding rail length, i.e. to cover the gas block or not. I am building a 16" middy. I am going for tough but very light weight. I am not going to use a FS base. I am liking the DD Omega 9" as I don't plan on hanging a bunch of crap on the rig. Maybe a small light. I'm not even sure if I'll install a VFG. Planning on a EOTECH with Magpul BUS.

Am I foolish to go with a low profile GB, uncovered? None of my other rigs are, but they aren't SHTF numbers.

Sure would appreciate some opinions from folks who have layed hands on a lot of variants.

Thanks in advance.

AR-10
21 December 2010, 12:51
Do you already have the gas block?

If not, I would recommend looking at a railed gas block.

It won't look odd to you, and you can mount your front sight on it for a longer sight radius.

Aragorn
21 December 2010, 13:37
You can't go wrong with a DD rail. Either the Omega or the M4 would serve you well. However, if you're looking to save even more weight I'd also check out the VTAC BattleRail and the Troy TRX. Especially seeing how you don't plan on loading down rails.

As for the gas block, if you leave it exposed just be sure to pin it and it should be fine.

Paulo_Santos
21 December 2010, 15:10
Sorry guys. Previously posted this question in wrong forum by mistake. Shaky mouse pointer hand, I guess. But I shoot fine!

I am interested in opinions regarding rail length, i.e. to cover the gas block or not. I am building a 16" middy. I am going for tough but very light weight. I am not going to use a FS base. I am liking the DD Omega 9" as I don't plan on hanging a bunch of crap on the rig. Maybe a small light. I'm not even sure if I'll install a VFG. Planning on a EOTECH with Magpul BUS.

Am I foolish to go with a low profile GB, uncovered? None of my other rigs are, but they aren't SHTF numbers.

Sure would appreciate some opinions from folks who have layed hands on a lot of variants.

Thanks in advance.

I prefer to have a covered low-profile gas block. If you go that route, I'd get a 10-12" handguard. I wouldn't get the Omega Rail. I'd get the DD Lite or something else.

Stickman
21 December 2010, 22:33
I prefer to have a covered low-profile gas block. If you go that route, I'd get a 10-12" handguard. I wouldn't get the Omega Rail. I'd get the DD Lite or something else.

Agreed on all accounts.

Aragorn
22 December 2010, 09:21
It does make more sense to have the gas block concealed, particularly on a SHTF rifle. While I still think that just pinning it would be acceptable if that's what you want to do, I will admit I've got exactly what both Paulo and Stick recommended on my own. A 10" DD Lite over a middy gas system. The 10" does leave the gas block partially exposed, including the pin, however.

As I sit here staring through the venting holes in my rail, I don't think there is even an inch of difference between the front of the rail and the rear of the gas block. Measuring it puts the difference at 11/16ths of an inch. That would mean 5/16ths of exposed gas tube if you went with a 9" DD Lite or any other rail that measures exactly 9" from the receiver to the front of the rail. Unless I'm just COMPLETELY missing something. An exposed gas tube is a MUCH bigger issue than an exposed gas block.

Stickman
22 December 2010, 12:32
Pinning is certainly the preferred way to do things, but I still like a rail over the block even if for no other reason than being able to use the extra length.

Paulo_Santos
22 December 2010, 14:05
I alwyas get the gas block pinned. Even if it is covered with a handguard. It is pretty cheap ($35) to get done anyway.

TehLlama
25 December 2010, 21:20
I'd either stick with an FSB on it (since it's a middy, a 9" rail (LT 9.0, DD Lite9.0 , TRX/VTAC 9.0 - preferred options), or if you can use the longer handguard, absolutely go with a low profile gas block (CMT, TROY, VLTOR) and run a longer handguard.

That said, if you can run a 10"-12" handgaurd, that seems to be the sweet spot. The LT and DD Lite rails (10" or 12"), or the TROY TRX/VTAC TRX models in 11", or if you like the KAC Stuff, the URX-II Rifle length. More length up front allows for a longer sight radius, more real estate for forward grips and more flexibility with weaponlight mounting.

I think the best reason to opt for a longer handguard would be the ability to run a pistol light at 12:00. Running a simple DD Fixed front sight on this setup is very lightweight, durable, always up, and very affordable.