PDA

View Full Version : LEO's - What eyewear do you use?

neo9710
28 December 2010, 10:58
This is aimed more towards Police Officers because I intend to use it with my Active shooter gear. But what eye protection do you guys use? I recently went through re-qualifications. We went through an old building and of course all the dust and crap was airborne..

Stickman
30 December 2010, 14:11
I'm still back and forth with it, even though I know I should be wearing it all the time. I have an unreleased pair of Oakleys that get a lot of use.

neo9710
31 December 2010, 06:38
I'm still back and forth with it, even though I know I should be wearing it all the time. I have an unreleased pair of Oakleys that get a lot of use.

Man..you get all the good stuff![:)] I feel for your partners who work your shift. I bet every time you go into your trunk/bag to get something, one of your partners goes.."where the hell did he get that?!?!"

A lot of people go back and fourth. Its a given that if you just roll up on a situation, you might not have the luxury of pulling out eye protection.

tac40
1 January 2011, 09:30
Oakleys and the new Rudy project tactical wear. GQ ready sir, after all, it's Kalifornia ; P

zero7one
1 January 2011, 11:37
I feel for your partners who work your shift. I bet every time you go into your trunk/bag to get something, one of your partners goes.."where the hell did he get that?!?!"

^^^Not too far from the truth^^^

As for me, I wear Oakley Half-Jackets during the day and prescription glasses at night. I need to buy a pair of prescription transition glasses with ballistic protection.

PD Sgt.
1 January 2011, 13:13
I too usually wear Oakley Half-Jackets at work. I am lucky, my prescription is relatively light, and I can get my lenses made in it with no problem. I also usually get them polarized. It cuts glare from car windows and allows me a better view of the occupants.

I also have prescription clear HJ lenses. I am somewhat remiss about wearing them all the time at night though. Unfortunately, most LE don't consider eye protection until after the fact. Guys will carry two of everything that goes bang or has an edge, wear body armor religiously, but don't think about how easy it is to get a piece of debris, fluids, or a finger in their eyes.

BlackWidow
15 January 2011, 21:23
I have been using a pair from ESS at the range and like the setup. I am not a police officer but do spend a great deal of time wearing them.

GolfBravo
16 January 2011, 15:17
Not a LEO, so I hope you don't mind my input. I'm using my third pair of ESS ICE, very satisfied with them, will probably stick to them for a while...

neo9710
21 January 2011, 11:53
I too usually wear Oakley Half-Jackets at work. I am lucky, my prescription is relatively light, and I can get my lenses made in it with no problem. I also usually get them polarized. It cuts glare from car windows and allows me a better view of the occupants.

I also have prescription clear HJ lenses. I am somewhat remiss about wearing them all the time at night though. Unfortunately, most LE don't consider eye protection until after the fact. Guys will carry two of everything that goes bang or has an edge, wear body armor religiously, but don't think about how easy it is to get a piece of debris, fluids, or a finger in their eyes.

I just ordered a set of the Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ's. Im the same way though. I know Im not going to be wearing them all the time. If I am going into an already occurring situation and I have a chance to throw them on, I probably will. But its all time and circumstance - just like most the things we do or have to do.

zero7one
22 January 2011, 11:38
I picked up a pair of the ESS CDI glasses while at SHOT. So far I am enjoying them.

NOLACOPUSMC
25 January 2011, 02:31
Not as pricey, but i like my Revision Hellflys.

Cannon Fodder
17 February 2011, 14:34
Not a LEO, so I hope you don't mind my input. I'm using my third pair of ESS ICE, very satisfied with them, will probably stick to them for a while...

Just a PSA: If you're using ICE NARO eyewear systems, certain lots are off the Army's APEL (https://peosoldier.army.mil/pmseq/eyewearmessage.asp) for failing ballistics tests. Be sure to check yours.

And for the rest of yas! I happen to be of the mindset that if it's good enough to protect our Armed Forces downrange, then it will probably work at the range or for active protection. There are a few models that will fight the dust, most notably offerings from Wiley-X (http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductListing.aspx?ActivityCode=TACTICAL&SeriesCode=788).

[Edit]

Some secondary thoughts:

You won't find me outside anywhere, in any uniform, without protective eyewear. I even put the stuff on to walk to the restroom (ah, the luxury of in-house toilets) here in Iraq. It's not because I expect to be blown up, but on multiple occasions I've had incidents where projectile objects have come near to my face. Rocks kicked up by vehicles will knock out an eye just as easy as anything else.

When I was back in the States, I was doing some yard work one summer and had grabbed a pair of ballistic glasses just because they were shaded. The tool I was using to unseat a sprinkler housing slipped and headed straight for my eye (that damn thing was really dug in!). Deflected with only a prominent ding in the plastic of the eyewear.

Don't discount their uses!

When choosing a model of eyewear, be mindful of its construction. I own a few different types, including:

ESS ICE
Revision Sawfly (http://www.revisioneyewear.com/sawfly.html)
UVEX Genesis XC (fits over conservative glasses) (http://www.uvex.us/products.aspx#/product=594&folder=98) - My wife uses these at the range.

Some models have a solid plastic visor, with no brow bar. With extended use, I've noticed some of these will pick up skin oils from the brow area. The last thing a shooter needs is to be reaching for his glasses.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

- Cannon

Boltgun
21 April 2011, 12:32
I am no longer in a patrol capacity, but when I was I used Revision sawflys. The last 6 months before heading back into our training unit, I took to wearing the clear lenses when not wearing the dark lenses. Basically - all the time eye armor.

Boltgun

gunnut284
8 June 2011, 10:51
I wear Oakley Half Jackets most of the time at work during the day. I have a pair of cheap clear eyepro I keep handy on night shift in case I can remember to grab it if called for.

zero7one
9 June 2011, 00:12
I picked up a pair of the ESS CDI glasses while at SHOT. So far I am enjoying them.

Just an update...

I have ditched the Oakley Half-Jackets and wear the ESS CDI's all the time to include patrol, range, and off-duty. They are extremely comfortable and have a lot more coverage than the half-jackets did. Thumbs up to ESS!!!

cmoore
2 October 2011, 02:02
Cop, 22 years in, have run numerous Oakley's, ESS's and now have two sets of Bobsters (glasses and goggles) and they're great.

GigAg04
3 October 2011, 00:48
On patrol (I work nights 6p-6a), I use a pair of Spy's for while the suns up. They used to be my primary pair, but are now relegated to work use. Once the sun goes down, I usually go with out lens, but I have a set of clear WileyX if need be. For off duty jobs, or stuff where I won't be fighting people, I'll pull out the polarized Ray Bans, but those don't go on the streets for fear of getting smashed up by some hood rat.

Patrick Aherne
26 October 2011, 09:49
Clear Oakley M frames at night. Nike sun glasses during the time normal people are awake.

BobinLaConner
26 October 2011, 20:17
Not a Leo, but I have the Oakley half jackets with the polarized prescription lenses.. they have been great, but my prescription changed and it is hard to pay $400 for lenses every time. I am looking at my next pair being Rudy Project Rydons Tactical with the prescription insert. That way I can change lens color without buying a prescription pair for everything.

greenlineaz
12 January 2015, 22:02
Oakley M frames, clear lenses at night, dark during the daytime hours. For our uniform allowance, the brand we can order is ESS Crossbows. They give you two frames, with the dark and the clear lenses already installed. Personally, as long as they have ballistic protection, don't restrict your field of view and are reasonably comfortable, then you should be good to go.

nc12215
20 April 2015, 19:55
ESS Crossbow with clear lenses for night and inside use.
ESS Rollbar with tinted lense for day use.
Great glasses that are very comfortable.

2ATA
21 April 2015, 05:25
I haven't worn anything other then Oakley's since around 1988.

MonkeyBomb
21 April 2015, 09:14
I wear prescription Oakley Flack jackets when its sunny. Usually Oakley Rhinochasers at night.

If I need eye protection for an OP I have a set of Revision SAWFLYs that I keep with the rest of my gear. They work really well with helmets and ear pro/comms.

Calico Jack
21 April 2015, 17:44
Oakley flack jacket and 5.11 ailerons