PDA

View Full Version : What are you looking for in a fixed stock?

Stickman
2 January 2011, 23:04
I'm working on a project that should be done shortly, and then I'll post a bunch of pictures and review. The title of this thread kind of gives it away, but my question for you guys is what are you looking for in a fixed stock?

Do you think A2 is too long? I know I do, but what about the A1? Have you played around with other fixed stocks and found something you liked, or wish a fixed stock had?

I guess the flip side to this is do you think the fixed stock market stagnates because there is so little interest in fixed stocks in general.....?

Paulo_Santos
3 January 2011, 05:07
I actually contacted Vltor a while back to see if they could make a fixed stock for us guys living in the communist states. Basically I wanted a longer E-Mod. Something shorter than an A1, but longer than those entry stocks. Now tha Vltor has the A5, it would be even easier for them to do it.

thatdamngoat
3 January 2011, 07:16
I have always liked the feel of the fixed stock, but would prefer the A1 lenght to the A2. The only thing that I would complain about with the fixed stock, is I hate the way you have to mount slings to it. If someone where to integrate QD attachment points to the front and the rear of the stock, I think they would have a winner.

AR-10
3 January 2011, 09:33
If someone made a fixed stock that was around 9" in length (think right in between Sully and A1 stock length) I would want one.

Storage would be nice, and a couple of sling attachment points as mentioned above.

DM1975
3 January 2011, 10:51
Lightweight A1 length with adjustable LOP butt pad. Maybe a covered rail on the toe for a monopod, several different sling attachment methods, not just slits to run the sling through either. Some kind of ajustable cheek rest that can operate in conjunction with the charging handle so you do not have to have an uber long stock or eye relief. That is my vote.

Atticus_1354
3 January 2011, 13:59
I would like something simple with QD sockets, some small storage and a good buttpad that sticks well when shouldered. I like A1 length or a little bit shorter. I have considered a VLTOR fixed stock, but am going to stick with an plain A1 for now. Will be watching this with interest as I prefer my rifles long and with a fixed stock.

Uglyduck
3 January 2011, 15:30
All great thoughts here guys, mine fall along the lines of a fixed stock with Troy Battle Axe features at an A1 length

Quib
3 January 2011, 17:57
Do you think A2 is too long? I know I do, but what about the A1?

When we turned in our M16A1's for A2's in 1987, I noticed right away the additional length of the A2 stock. Not being very tall, I much prefer the length of the A1 stock and for some time now have been contemplating swapping out my A2 stock for the shorter CAV Arms version.

DM1975
4 January 2011, 04:56
Quib, I figured you would like a cut down version of an A1 stock [BD]

Quib
4 January 2011, 05:01
Quib, I figured you would like a cut down version of an A1 stock [BD]

LOL!!!! You may have something there........

Muddyboots
4 January 2011, 10:26
I am currently using an Vltor A2 length clubfoot on all of my lowers (I'm in NYS.) On the SPR/DMR rifles they are great! I am also considering spending the cash to swap over to the Vltor A1 length on my general use carbines. I really like them in general and find the attachment points to work very well for me. I run a piece of P-cord through one of the holes nearest the receiver . This makes a small loop for a snap shackle on a single point when I need to use one. I find that system works well. I love the idea of a LOP adjustable A5 IF I can figure out how to make it legal in NYS! Maybe a "mid-length" Buffer tube (I know, whole new set of problems!) The question many of us face behind the lines is "how short can a stock be before it is to short?" I've even considered pinning an E-mod 2 clicks out.

Muddyboots

Emilio84
12 January 2011, 20:20
Stick... please please don't let this project die!

Being in NY I am intimately familiar with most of the fixed stocks on the market. I have personally used or owned the following:

ACE ARFX (Rifle Tube)

Nice lightweight (almost too light) stock. Very basic and easy to install. Choice of buttpad sizes is nice. No easy way to mount a QD sling mount though. The cheekweld isn't the best (for me).

ACE Entry Stock (Carbine Tube)

Similar to above but shorter. Shares the same issues. Was too short for me. I tried to remedy this with spaces and longer buttpads but that resulted in a stock that moved which meant it had to go.

Standard A2 stock

Too long for me. No simple qd sling mounting solutions.

Standard A1 stock
Good length but as above no simple sling mounting solutions.

Vltor A1 Clubfoot Fixed Stock

This is what I currently run on my 5.56 AR. I love the adjustable cheekweld pieces and the storage is a nice feature (I keep earplugs in there). The built in QD slots is a fantastic feature. While length is good I wouldn't mind it being a half inch or so shorter if not a little more.

Sully Stock

Great weight.. not too heavy. Cheekweld is on par with an A1/A2 stock.. it seems a bit thicker which I like. I have the model with the built in QD slots and I added the solid 1" pad which puts the length just about perfect. Wish it was prettier and had storage.. the cost is ridiculous as well. All said and done it was about $180 shipped with the pad and qd mounts. Also took quite a while to get but that was due to a materials issue apparently.

I'd love an adjustable LOP (requires tools..) fixed stock that locked up solid and looks good, had vltor style cheekweld pieces (maybe in different sizes vs bulge or no bulge pieces), was priced reasonably, had a rubber (sticky) buttpad that didn't add to the LOP.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I spoke with someone over at VLTOR who mentioned a design based on the A5 and I'm really hoping this is it or similar.

TehLlama
15 January 2011, 13:56
I think something that includes the buttpad, angle, and bottom storage compartment, and strike plate of the EMOD into an A1 (or slightly shorter) length stock would sell great. If they can build this off the A5 or the A1 extension that would be huge.

This would be a hit - not just for ban state buyers, but anybody with a Recce rifle, dissipator, SPR, or KISS rifle.

Stickman
15 January 2011, 17:31
Emiliio,

I'll be releasing the info during SHOT next week, probably on monday.

BlackWidow
15 January 2011, 18:07
I'm with the split between a1 and a2 with a adjustable butt for those who have a longer reach. Throw in the slot for slings on both sides set into the stock and 2 qd points at the rear and front. High speed guys will use 100 mph tape and some foam pad for a cheek rest, who needs one of those lol.

Of course you could throw all kinds of nice adds into the stock, which only make the cost of producing it double every time you add the other hardware.

Will be in Vegas monday, but walking the show so tuesday I will have to find you and take a look.

Emilio84
16 January 2011, 00:49
Emiliio,

I'll be releasing the info during SHOT next week, probably on monday.

Can't wait to hear about it! I'm also keeping my fingers crossed it's something similar to what the CS rep at VLTOR told me about.. or maybe something from Magpul... either way another option when it comes to fixed stocks is more than welcome.

Paulo_Santos
16 January 2011, 04:06
This one looks interesting:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb218/constructor2007/fixedstock.jpg

spelingmastir
18 January 2011, 08:28
Something that looks like the stock above that's a little shorter than an A1 would be ideal.

Emilio84
21 January 2011, 08:30
Stick - Any updates?

CCK
21 January 2011, 18:30
This one looks interesting:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb218/constructor2007/fixedstock.jpg

This (saw it on Gearscout too) but instead of A1. how about emod 1 notch out length.

Chris

Stickman
22 January 2011, 18:58
I had to put it up on Gear Scout during SHOT Show, below is the link to the article and a picture. Of course the article has a bunch of images.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/01/19/efx-a1-stock-boring-name-interesting-stock/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/mags-llc-stock/Stck_2180-A-1024-Stick.jpg

Emilio84
23 January 2011, 16:15
Looks nice. Not sure if its something I would drop my Vltor A1 stock for but I might consider it for a future build. I really wish they put qd cups up near the rear of the receiver like on my Vltor stock. If they did that and made it shorter I'd most likely pick one up.

AR-10
27 January 2011, 09:07
I really like that stock, but for me it is still too long.

Would be nice if they put QD sockets at the receiver end, also.

TehLlama
28 January 2011, 19:52
Could they make a shorter (A5 extension) version that accepts the Pachmayr presentation pads (from bolt guns) so that it can be an end-user adjustable length, but function as a fixed stock?