PDA

View Full Version : Cutting foam

AR-10
4 January 2011, 11:37
Do I really need to put together a hot wire for this?

I'm only going to use it one or two times, are there any alternative methods?

I have a Pelican 1750 on the way and the center foam piece is solid, I saw those pop-out center pieces that you simply pull sections out of but I wanted to cut out my own sections.

zero7one
4 January 2011, 12:38
I have used a soldering iron before to cut Styrofoam. It should work okay, but probably not as clean as a wire cutter. Make sure you do it in a ventilated area to avoid having fumes throughout your house.

Quib
4 January 2011, 14:29
Buy one of those disposable razor knifes that you can snap-off the tip when it gets dull.
Position your item on the foam and depress slightly to hold the item stationary.
Extend the knife blade to the desired depth and cut around the perimeter of the item.
Starting at one end of the cut-out in the foam, pull up and back and begin to make slices across the full width of the foam.
Take your time and repeat the cuts across the foam until you have cut free that section.
You should now have a "shadow" in the foam where your item will sit secure.

Some of us in aviation maintenance do this to our roll-away tool boxes as a means of tool control to prevent Foreign Object Damage (FOD) or a serious accident or incident due to a forgotten tool left on the aircraft. We call it "Shadowing A Tool Box".

Here's an example of my AR Tool Box Shadowed.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2772/4427732639_3f20e0c060.jpg

Eric
4 January 2011, 15:15
Buy one of those disposable razor knifes that you can snap-off the tip when it gets dull.
Position your item on the foam and depress slightly to hold the item stationary.
Extend the knife blade to the desired depth and cut around the perimeter of the item.
Starting at one end of the cut-out in the foam, pull up and back and begin to make slices across the full width of the foam.
Take your time and repeat the cuts across the foam until you have cut free that section.
You should now have a "shadow" in the foam where your item will sit secure.

Some of us in aviation maintenance do this to our roll-away tool boxes as a means of tool control to prevent Foreign Object Damage (FOD) or a serious accident or incident due to a forgotten tool left on the aircraft. We call it "Shadowing A Tool Box".

Here's an example of my AR Tool Box Shadowed.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2772/4427732639_3f20e0c060.jpg

That's essentially what I did on a couple and it turned out fine. I outlined the item with the Sharpie first, then cut.

AR-10
4 January 2011, 17:07
Nice! I'm going to try that, thanks.

What are those little brass things to the right of that combo wrench?

Quib
4 January 2011, 17:11
The brass items are bubble levels. They can be seen here: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2060-AIMPOINT-INSTALLATION-ADM-AD-68H-MOUNT

ETA: The "shadowing" itself is easy. The hard part is trying to explain the process in text. If you need a demonstration I could possibly put up a short video.

eristine
4 January 2011, 22:48
I've had excellent success with straight razors and electric knifes. (the kind you use to cut meat). They make nice clean cuts, straight or curved.

AR-10
5 January 2011, 15:26
Nah no need for a video unless you're extremely bored, I get the idea from your post.

I think I'm still gonna end up cutting all the way through the center foam piece so I'm gonna get a long razor and just poke and slice.

I'm sure I can order a new piece of foam if I end up totally trashing it.

Quib
5 January 2011, 15:42
Sounds good. Just thought I'd offer! [:)]