PDA

View Full Version : 1st AR: LMT Piston

Cohibra45
13 February 2008, 11:28
Just wanted to say hello and that I am a noobie here and in the AR field. I am not new to guns as I have been around them for over 40 years...

I just ordered my first AR. It will probably be my last as it took most of all the money I had saved up, but, I am hoping it will be worth it. After all the reading and researching I could stand (a few years worth), I decided on the LMT. I felt I was leaning towards the piston version as I wanted something new (to the AR) but field tested in a number of other platforms. I also like the idea of being able to change barrels and bolts and have a multi-purpose rifle. I want to use mine for hunting when LMT comes out with their version of the 6.5G.

I am now looking at different accessories. First thing is a scope. I am leaning toward the Leupold VX-7 1.5X6X24. I called Leupold today and asked about rings and they said I would have to use their ultra high 1.40" rings due to the flat top arrangement of the LMT. Just curious as why? Will I not be able to get a good cheek weld on the SOPMOD stock to use the lower 1.09" high QD rings? Their ultra high rings don't offer the QD feature I like.

I will probably order some mags soon as well. I am seriously looking at the PMags by MagPul and hopefully someone here will chime in when they get around to using them. I did read the thread on what mags everyone is using. I have also considered purchasing LMT mags as they are only a couple more dollars/mag. Does anyone know if they are GI. I realize that LMT contracts to the US Gov but am unsure about if they send their mags to the troops.

I am really looking for durability here which is why I chose LMT.

Take care and try to be a little easy on this young kid with his first AR [:)],

Kelly

jmtgsx
13 February 2008, 11:57
Welcome, Kelly
Very nice avatar!

BRD Jerm
13 February 2008, 12:36
i thought the 1" Leupolds were high enough...pretty sure thats what they recommended for me at one point.

i ended up going with a Trijicon TR21 and Larue mount though.

love my LMT,and if i get a GP they will be near the top of the list.

i like D&H and Defense Solution USGI mags(not impressed with CMMG,not all USGI mags are equal apparently) with Magpul followers and Ranger Plates.i havent tried the LMT mags.

...also have some P-mags on the way.

p.s. yeah,nice avatar.

TigerStripe
13 February 2008, 12:38
C Products stainless steel mags and PMags would be all I'd use.

TS

RD62
13 February 2008, 14:36
I have several PMags, and all have been fantastic. Robust, reliable, and inexpensive. There are the only mag I am buying right now. I highly recommend them.

-RD62

13 February 2008, 20:40
Did I get this correct, you ordered a piston LMT? They have it out already?

John Hwang
13 February 2008, 20:43
I'm sure he preordered it. It won't be available for months unless he has connections I don't.

Cohibra45
14 February 2008, 07:02
Obviously didn't use the correct termanology here.

I called up LMT and spoke with Ryan in sales. I told him I was interested in purchasing a piston LMT. I said I lived in Melbourne, Florida and told him that according to their website dealer listing, they showed a dealer in Titusville.

He asked how far I lived from Port St. Lucie and he had a dealer down there that he does a lot of business with and would have some LMTs in stock that I could look at. His name is Norris and is the owner of Grey Goose Gunsmithing.

I told Ryan that Port St. Lucie is only an hour away and I could make the drive easily. I called Norris and asked him about his shop and he said he has a couple models in stock. They were not the piston of course.

I drove down to see Norris and he was extremely patient with me in explaining and showing me several features on his particular rifle. BTW, his LMT has 3 different rifle barrels: 6.8, 204 Ruger, and of course the 556. He also has a couple long range (600yard) bolt rifles that he shoots in competition. He is a member of our local club, Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol club. He is an ex-Marine and I gathered a sniper. Great guy and opinionated of course, but good to work with.

While I was there, he had a shipment from LMT come in and received their CQB MRP and a couple lowers. That CQB MRP was really nice and he offered to sell it to me there. His opinion is that he doesn't know what the big deal about piston operated rifles is all about. I'm sure he has had enough experience (working on and using these for a few decades) to know what he was talking about.

I told him that it was something that I had read about and was sure that LMTs DI guns were first class, but I really wanted to buy their piston version. He told me that if I changed my mind, he would work with me anyway he could and I really appreciated that. He also said that he had placed an order earlier with LMT for two piston rifles and was near the top of the list for receiving them.

So, I guess, I did preorder one, or he ordered a couple, or whatever. I paid the MSRP in full including tax and background check. So when it does come in, I will just pick it up. That is why I said I just bought it. No down payment...PIF for me is the only way to go.

When I called Ryan the next morning to tell him about my experience and thank him for sending me to Norris, he aslo said that he does a lot of business with him (almost daily) and I got the feeling that he is one of the top dealers with LMT. He carries LMT exclusively as in his opinion, they are the best out there.

BTW, the price difference between the DI and Piston is $1775 vs $1995. $220 according to my math. He did have another model 'M4 like' that was less expensive, but I really wanted the MRP and changeable barrels/calibers because this would also double as a hunting rifle.

Like I said, I spoke with Ryan at LMT and asked about when they were going to bring out a 6.5G version of their rifle. He said that they probably would in the future, but right now, they didn't have enough ammo on hand to fully ring out one of their rifles. I really like the 6.5G round for a hunting round and will wait for LMT to produce a barrel/bolt kit for my rifle. In the mean time, I will probably order a couple mags for it.

Sorry for the confusion about order/preorder or purchasing. Since I already paid in full for it, I felt as if I bought it already...Just the 16 week wait is going to be a long one.

Right now, I am checking into scopes and mounts, magazines, fore grips and lights...you know, all the accessories[:D] !!! I'm looking hard at the Leupold VX-7 1.5x6x24 for a scope. I called Leupold yesterday and they said that using the 'flat top' rifle, I would have to have their 'ultra high' 1.40" rings for proper cheek weld to eye placement. Unfortunately, they aren't the QR type. Their QR type only come up to 'high' 1.09". Does anyone here have any opinion as to wheither or not the 1.09 would place the scope high enough or do I really need the extra 1/3" increase. Anyone have any direct experience?

Thanks and sorry for the confusion:o,

Kelly

BTW, Happy New Year and enjoy the avitar [:D] !!!

Stickman
14 February 2008, 08:08
Sounds like you have a good dealer to work with. The MRP is a very capable platform, and while not cheap, it is certainly top of the line.

What made you decide on that optic?

Cohibra45
14 February 2008, 08:38
Actually just started looking. I am more interested in hunting style, but, if it has an illuminated feature, I'm not opposed to that either. I know that there are a lot of different scopes out there...What do you like? Of course the prices are all over the place from Walmart to Zeiss. I just spent $2k on the rifle and around half again for a scope sounds resonable to me...What are your opinions on rifle glass? I'm 55 and my eyes aren't as good as they once were (20/15 at one time).

I like the lower power scopes because most ranges I have ever hunted have been inside 200yds. 4 power is fine for me for that distance. Much larger powers like 9-12/14 get a little to giggly unless I have an extremely solid rest. Even then, you really have to take your time for extremely precise shooting (less MOA).

Maybe we could start a thread on Optics for our rifles with real tests?

Take care,

Kelly

BRD Jerm
14 February 2008, 10:41
might wanna look at....

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=103&back_row=0&categoryID=5

you can actually get it with a high quality mount(like Larue) for a little more than the price listed there.

just the scope tends to run in the $500's.

they also have a red triangle and some new cross-hair's.

NvrenufRR
14 February 2008, 18:19
Congrats and welcome.
I am very jealous of the new LMT GP MRP.

Not to be the bringer of bad news...BUT,
This is probably not going to be your last or AR..

The rifle you chose as a starter is a phenomenal platform IMO. You should be thrilled with it and its performance.

I would suggest going to a nice one piece mount for your optic.
The price difference is minimal, but quality over the Leupold rings is excellent.
I recomend the Larue SPR 1 piece mount for your optic.

Good luck and post some pics when it comes in.

parabellum
14 February 2008, 20:08
I've also found that Ryan at LMT is very helpful guy. A stand up fellow indeed.

SHIHAN
14 February 2008, 21:20
[QUOTE=BRD Jerm;1916]

(not impressed with CMMG,not all USGI mags are equal apparently)

[QUOTE=BRD Jerm;1916]

The CMMG are not USGI.

BRD Jerm
14 February 2008, 23:19
my mistake.

i was refering to these....

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=974078&cat=17&

at least one of which says Labelle(have to wake the wife to check the others).

isnt that the same as D&H?

others i have seem much better than the ones i got from CMMG anyway.

parabellum
14 February 2008, 23:21
Labelle became D&H Industries, as far as I know. Or they bought their tooling, something like that. Either way, both are good magazines.

If you bought a Labelle mag from CMMG chances are that it is used, unless it was new and had been in storage for quite a while, but I doubt that would be the case.

BRD Jerm
14 February 2008, 23:28
they claim they are new.

they are advertised as such and i emailed to ask after getting them.:(

pretty beat up...followers seemed far more prone to tilting than other green's i have(they all get replaced anyway).

TigerStripe
15 February 2008, 09:46
they claim they are new.

they are advertised as such and i emailed to ask after getting them.:(

pretty beat up...followers seemed far more prone to tilting than other green's i have(they all get replaced anyway).

I looked at their ad. They didn't look beat up, I'd demand my money back.

TS

Stickman
15 February 2008, 10:39
The actual USGI mags that I've seen and used have all looked pretty rough to me. The dry lube wears quickly, and overall quality has appeared lacking, but these are the actual issued military magazines.

In general, the after market crowd is much more worried about their magazines than the MIL/ LE crowd that is issued their gear, and really doesn't care about looks, fit or finish.

The above isn't meant to degrade either side, I think its more a matter of needs and usage.

BRD Jerm
15 February 2008, 11:36
I looked at their ad. They didn't look beat up, I'd demand my money back.

TS

picture the ones in the ad after being thrown in the dryer with some gravel for 20-30 minutes.

i emailed them describing the condition and basically asking "are you sure these are new".

response was...

"they're new,scuffed up during shipping/storage."

i just threw them in the stockpile(if you could call it that),they function.

i avoid CMMG now though...wasnt just the condition of the mags,i wasnt pleased with the CS in general.

jeffy
15 February 2008, 12:21
picture the ones in the ad after being thrown in the dryer with some gravel for 20-30 minutes.

i emailed them describing the condition and basically asking "are you sure these are new".

response was...

"they're new,scuffed up during shipping/storage."

i just threw them in the stockpile(if you could call it that),they function.

i avoid CMMG now though...wasnt just the condition of the mags,i wasnt pleased with the CS in general.

Can you take a picture it?

BRD Jerm
15 February 2008, 12:28
i tried back when i got them but it wouldnt turn out(glare).

i'll try again a little later though,ive learned a few new tricks with the camera since.

...like how to turn off the flash.:o

im far from Stick.

BRD Jerm
15 February 2008, 13:37
here yuh go....

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/jermwarfare_2007/cmmgmags006.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/jermwarfare_2007/cmmgmags008.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/jermwarfare_2007/cmmgmags007.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/jermwarfare_2007/cmmgmags009.jpg

these havent been used at all(by me),other than to add Magpul followers.

TigerStripe
15 February 2008, 19:00
Stick's right and looking at your photo tells me that you got USGI (type) dry-lube mags. It doesn't matter who you buy the dry-film mags, they will look like that some a little better, some a little worse. C Products stainless come look better. The PMags and the C Products stainless mags will look new unless and until you treat them rough.

TS

BRD Jerm
15 February 2008, 20:28
thats fine then i guess.

like i said,they function.

i'll still go another route next time though.

TigerStripe
15 February 2008, 22:07
I think we've laid out the best mags out there. D&H Teflon coated (they always look good) C Products Stainless and PMags. I haven't banged up my PMag like I have my C Products Stainless, but it's holding up well so far.

TS

Eric
16 February 2008, 07:11
Pics show typical USGI mags with handling marks.

John Hwang
16 February 2008, 08:14
I think we've laid out the best mags out there. D&H Teflon coated (they always look good) C Products Stainless and PMags. I haven't banged up my PMag like I have my C Products Stainless, but it's holding up well so far.

TS

D&H Teflon, after 1000s sold, not one issue. I can't say the same for the other 2 you mentioned. That's not to say Cproducts or Pmags are bad. In fact, they are very high quality. I'm just stating that the USGI mags as boring as they are...work and work well.

TigerStripe
16 February 2008, 14:51
I've never had a problem with a USGI mag, but I've never abused one like I have the stainless or even the PMag. I've still got 50 plus USGI dry-flm and D&H telfon mags though...

TS