PDA

View Full Version : Can stamp for SBR be used twice?

jeeper2269
17 January 2011, 16:48
I am wondering if you have to pay for tax stamps any/every time you build an SBR.

And, can someone clarify... That a citizen of the US, cannot purchase an automatic (machine gun) new? Meaning, after the 1984-86 (cant remember year) ban...

I keep seeing all these videos on youtube of people firing machine guns, and they do not appear to be law enforcement, or military.

MoxyDave
17 January 2011, 17:07
You need a new tax stamp for each NFA weapon you build.

You can purchase a machine gun produced before a certain date. Unless you have an FFL you cannot buy a new machine gun. That is why they are so expensive.

"For civilian possession, all machineguns must have been manufactured and registered with the ATF prior to May 19, 1986 to be transferable between citizens."

See the Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act)

Rodman24
17 January 2011, 17:20
My understanding is that you must purchase a stamp for each registered SBR. The lower is the actual firearm, so you can have multiple short barreled uppers for the same registered lower. Just don't put one on a non-registered lower.

As well, you will have to do one of two things 1) have your local police chief sign off on your SBR (which many are hesitant to do) or 2) Form a firearm trust that will serve as the owner of the weapon. With the trust, you won't need to have the LE signature.

Civilians are not allowed to own machine guns manufactured after the 1986 Firearms Owner's Protection Act (great name). That's why they're so hard to find, and so darned expensive. The tax with BATF is only $200, which is nothing once you've shelled out $16,000 (or so) for M-16.

oregonshooter
17 January 2011, 18:30
Go to http://atf.gov and download the NFA Handbook and look at their FAQs. They answer every question you can come up with on the website.

TehLlama
17 January 2011, 18:44
There are post-86 samples that exist for dealer and demo use, but beyond that you're stuck acquiring one of the finite registered pre-86 units if you want to go that route.

In general, a tax stamp is needed for each item the ATF considers to be a firearm. For a suppressed SBR, this means two stamps. For an AR lower, you can have multiple short upper receivers and use them with the same lower, the only caveat is that it's unwise to do this and also store extra non-SBR or pistol lowers.

facemate
25 March 2011, 22:03
I have read many times that you can have multiple AR sbr uppers for one registered sbr lower. I have also poured through countless pages here and through the ATF manual for answer to these questions. If you can have multiple uppers why does the Form 1 have a block for specified barrel length and what repercussions would there be if asked to produce paperwork and your current config not match?

Hmac
25 March 2011, 22:57
I think that's a grey area. Theoretically, you're supposed to notify ATF if you make changes to the rifle that are different than what it states on the Form 1/Form 4. You don't have to wait for their approval...you just have to notify them. From a practical standpoint, that's silly and most people that I know never bother.

todd.k
28 March 2011, 08:36
You need to notify the ATF if you make any permanent changes to the weapon description, no gray area.

Swapping uppers is not permanent, selling the upper the SBR is registered with and replacing it with a different barrel length or caliber is when you should notify them of the change.

Hmac
28 March 2011, 11:42
Ach. I blew it. Sorry for the misinformation.