PDA

View Full Version : Fenix flashlights

Marine1990
21 January 2011, 19:19
I purchased a Fenix TK 10 almost two years ago and I love it. I'm a K9 officer at a major metro p.d. so the light gets alot of use. Much better and brighter than my Surefire Z2. Just wondering if anyone has any thing to say about this brand, good or bad.

montgomerygentryFan
21 January 2011, 19:36
I've had my Fenix L1P (pretty sure that's the model) for a couple years now. It was pretty much EDC for me, although now I've switched lights so I only use one battery type (CR123). For just a single cell AA the Luxeon LED is very bright, probably more than 40 lumens. Although I wouldn't discount Surefire lights just because that model is brighter, my SF E2DL is bright as hell at 200 lumens and it has a two stage switch with 5 lumens being the lowest. Not to mention it is slimmer and lighter than most other lights that have the same amount of batteries and output.

For the price and quality both considered I'd say Fenix is very good compared to its competitors. Another thing is I've never put my Fenix light through hard-use so not sure how they hold up to abuse.

Marine1990
21 January 2011, 20:27
Surefire makes an excellent product, for the money though, the Fenix seems to give a littlt more bang for the buck. As far as the brightness goes I ment that the Fenix is much brighter compared to the Z2, the model the TK 10 is competeing with.

neo9710
22 January 2011, 09:28
Fenix are great lights. Couple of my guys use them. I bought a small one for the wife around the house..and its taken abuse. The TK10 is a good light. As for the Surefire - its a great light too. If you are looki0ng to make it brighter, they do make aftermarket drop in's for it. Malkoff makes drop ins for it and they are BULLETPROOF. I believe the type of drop in is a P60... I strongly suggest them for it. (not sure if I violated any rules with that comment - if I did...I apologize now and please' lemme know)

Flashlights have come a LONG way in recent years. The flashlight realm is now blurred. There is a lot more factors then before such as batteries, size, brightness, tint, flood, thrower, etc. PM me and I can give you some more details..DISCLAIMER! I AM NOT A GURU OF LIGHTS! Just some stuff Ive learned:

The website I recommend is www.candlepowerforums.com

Due to certain events that occurred recently, I have a new respect/need for flashlights which I will elaborate later...

montgomerygentryFan
22 January 2011, 10:01
Marine1990,

I see what you're saying as far as the those two being similar, both 2 cell, combat grip, etc. For me I'm partial to Surefire's also since they're made in the US whereas Fenix is from China. I've never had any problems with my Fenix lights so I can't speak about their customer service. Price is definitely something that I consider, but also performance and customer service from a company. SF's track record is pretty much spotless.

Have you ever had any problems with Fenix lights and had to contact them about it? I'm genuinely curious to know how they handle queries. Also another question for you, about how much runtime do you get from it at 80-90 percent before you notice a significant drop in output? Thanks

MoxyDave
23 January 2011, 16:59
Love 'em. Never had a problem.

Many lights will dim over time, but I believe most if not all Fenix lights are digitally regulated. They maintain the same brightness until the battery is nearly empty, then they switch to 'low' until it's completely drained. This is one of the reasons I really like them.

My favorites are the L1T, L0D and the PD30. I've had the L0D on my keychain for several years. It's incredibly bright for a AAA light, and super handy since it's always with you.

indawire
26 January 2011, 16:23
I've got and use frequently a Fenex PD20. Held up very well and been thru two inadverent wash and dry cycles without damage or problem w/ the light.

sonrider657
5 February 2011, 13:47
Personally,I am not going to buy a product made in an enemy communist country when there are quality American-made alternatives.

http://www.fenixlight.com/UploadFiles/2010121494937128.jpg

bt96
21 May 2012, 22:39
I use a Fenix TK11 on my rifle. I have shot 3000-4000 rounds through my rifle and no problems.

BradIXXI
30 May 2012, 18:40
I am a helicopter pilot and I received a Fenix PD30 as a gift.
Had it for two flights and while doing pre-flight I dropped it.
Mind you that I was on my back checking the underside of the aircraft, so maybe 13 or 14 inches.
It hit on the end cap and the end cap and threaded end broke right off.
I have not sent it back nor called customer service because if they did replace it (I do not know if they would),
I might be tempted to fly with it again. I just cannot afford to have unreliable equipment with me when I fly.
I will say that when it worked it was light weight and bright as hell.

Waveman
31 May 2012, 12:53
Personally,I am not going to buy a product made in an enemy communist country when there are quality American-made alternatives.

http://www.fenixlight.com/UploadFiles/2010121494937128.jpg

I am with you on that! Go tour the sure fire factory. The are committed to building the best product possible. Over the long run it will cost you less.

TehLlama
4 June 2012, 17:54
I've had a few. They're great as flashlights, and only ever fail when trying to use them as something other than a flashlight. They aren't trying to be Surefire, and they don't cost as much, but that's not a bad thing. It would cost tons of money to make an SF quality line of lights, and that market is already saturated anyway.

Jeremypowell
23 November 2012, 07:09
I purchased a Fenix TK 10 almost two years ago and I love it. I'm a K9 officer at a major metro p.d. so the light gets alot of use. Much better and brighter Peimar led (http://www.niceledlights.com) than my Surefire Z2. Just wondering if anyone has any thing to say about this brand, good or bad.

Do you have some pics to display?

angus_mackagen
29 May 2013, 14:53
I am with you on that! Go tour the sure fire factory. The are committed to building the best product possible. Over the long run it will cost you less.

Make that 3 times...

My surefire lights are a little more in the cost, but they've worked when I've needed them to. I've beat the crap out of my 6p, G2, and my E2 light and they STILL run like a scalded dog. My partner had a fenix light and it failed him during a night raid in Iraq. Thanks, but I'll pay the extra money for the better product.

Jerry R
31 May 2013, 14:27
I'm sort of a flashlight and knife nut case. I have several SureFire lights, StreamLight picatinny mount lights, and still have my collection of Mag Lights (a six D cell is in the truck - dual duty light [:D] ).

So when I had a chance to pick up a Fenix, I thought "Why not?"

I have the PD32UE rated at 740 lumens and it senses how long it has been at the higher outputs, automatically stepping the light down to keep from damaging the unit. Uses two CR123 batteries like most of my other lights (trying to standardize on one battery).

I keep it on my night stand, or in my laptop case when traveling. It has not been stress-tested, but has done everything they claim - so far.

I like to spend my money where I live too, but every now and then I see something that looks neat and my "impulse buy chromosome" kicks in.

I like this little light.