PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of Leupold HAMR?

HeavyDuty
23 January 2011, 10:16
The new Leupold HAMR has me intrigued and wondering if it's a viable alternative to an ACOG. Can anyone offer their insight based on the samples shown at SHOT and elsewhere?

JohnnyRambo
30 January 2011, 10:15
Was not impressed by it in person. The glass distorts when viewing through it. Reticule was odd. It took me about 10 seconds to decide it was not worth it. Only good part was the DeltaPoint on top.

The HAMR was on my list of items that I searched out for 2011 Shot Show and I was bummed that it was not what I hoped.

The new variable power scope that is 1.1-8 power was the other item they released that I had on my list. But when the rep told me that MSRP was around $3200.00 I put it down. No use getting excited about an overpriced optic that I can't afford. Soon others will follow and release a better, more realistically priced version. I like the design of it very much, that the whole back of it can be turned to adjust and not just one ring.

On a positive note, the new DeltaPoint red dots are nice. Surpassed my expectations.
My first one was defective and I am still waiting for a replacement after 2 months of it being in the repair shop. It would not turn back on after it went into it's sleep mode. And I had to pay to send it back to them. They ran out and don't even have any replacements for my defective one and will not for several weeks I was told. Be sure to understand what mounts you are getting. Good thing I bought two. The other is on my M&P Pistol and I love it. If I ever get my replacement it is going on my Remington 870 or my AK with the Midwest Ind. /US Palm top rail.

As for an alternative to an ACOG check out Elcan's new 4x optic.

TehLlama
30 January 2011, 14:17
I haven't seen how Leupold got far enough away from their CQ/T with the HAMR. No firsthand impressions on the latter, but the CQ/T did suck, and it's approximately the same size optic. The ACOG only works because the fixed zoom RP style gives it a huge field of view for the size, though I'd like to see what Leupold could make if they made a simpler Mk4 line 1-4x optic that used their TMR reticle and the red illuminated dot, and if they could price that competitively.

Paulo_Santos
30 January 2011, 14:59
I'd like to see the reticle. Is the reticle daytime visible? The price on it is a little too much for me, but it doesn't look all that bad. Nothing special, but nothing bad either.

usbp379
12 April 2011, 12:45
Leupold has been kind enough to send me one of their show samples for T&E. I haven't had nearly enough time on this scope yet to give it a solid recommendation but I'm very pleased and impressed with it so far.

Illumination on the scope itself is fairly good with the illumination being visible on the highest setting on all but the brightest backgrounds. It's not as bright as some red dots but I don't think most users will be too concerned with this. On the reverse side, the illumination has enough adjustment that it can be dialed down and isn't overpowering when used in low light.

The CMR2 reticle is great. It's clean and uncluttered and simple to use and I prefer it over some of the other horseshoe reticles I've played with. The small central aiming dot provides a pinpoint aiming mark with the surrounding horseshoe being good for quick and dirty aiming.

The Delta Point that came on the scope is the triangular 7.5moa model but I'm sure the smaller dot could be used if the end user prefered that. Anyway, the DP sits nicely into the top of the scope and it can be removed entirely if desired. The DeltaPoint sits low but I still have to pick my head up a little to use the red dot and cheek weld is sacrificed but not severely.

Both the DP and the scope run off their own 2032 battery.

As far as size, the whole package is about the same in weight as my Vortex Viper PST 1-4 without a mount. It's also a good deal shorter and smaller than the conventional variable power scope.

On the downside, the HAMR is going to be fairly expensive and this will be the deal killer for some.

View of the Delta Point:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Leupold%20HAMR/P1010784.jpg

The CMR2 reticle on full power looking at the same bush as above:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Leupold%20HAMR/P1010785.jpg

ICANHITHIMMAN
14 April 2011, 18:16
never seen one always wanted a CQ/t so maybe It would be cool