PDA

View Full Version : What's Your EDC Kit?

Eric
25 January 2011, 01:29
I'm not talking about what you carry on duty, in a class, at the range or while playing ninja. What do you have on your person at all times while on your own time? While I was in Vegas a few days ago a shopper engaged a robber in the parking lot of the local Walmart. There are numerous similar examples of either off-duty cops or legally armed good guys/gals taking similar action when needed. Are you prepared with your current Every Day Carry (EDC).

Depicted is my current EDC consisting of what was carried today, all day.
Kimber .45 1911, including two spare mags (Wilson Combat). Benchmade folder. LW Handcuffs. Clip on badge. 4Sevens single AA light. Wallet with creds. Android cell phone. Hellweg double thickness belt to hold it all up.

I've identified a few shortcomings with my EDC, but at the same time I'm painfully aware of how under-equipped many other folks are.

Discuss.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/IMG_07211.jpg

Paulo_Santos
25 January 2011, 05:17
I wear a Kahr 9mm in an ankle holster. I'm looking to upgrade to the subcompact M&P .45 in the same ankle holster. Badge in the wallet.

2ATA
25 January 2011, 07:33
Les Baer TRS, Wilson 47D, Winchester Ranger-T 230's, in a Raven Concelament IWB. Two spare Wilson mags same loading in a raven mag carrier. Carried on an ARES belt. Ka Bar Warthog, Leatherman Fuse. Fenix PD 31. Wallet, Keys pocket medstuff. Iphone4 loaded with a Bible and a copy of the Constitution.

rob_s
25 January 2011, 07:57
Glock 19 or 26 IWB
Glock 17 spare magazine
Knife
Light (sometimes pocket, sometimes WML, sometimes not at all)
Wallet
Phone
Keys
handkerchief

Eric, what do you find your setup is missing and what do you propose to do about it?

Rodman24
25 January 2011, 09:32
Really depends on attire and if I know what I'll be doing.

Handgun: IWB - Ruger LCR with a couple of Bianchi Speed Strips if I need a lighter set-up, or Glock 23 with spare mag, or Kimber Tactical Ultra II .45 with spare mag. Tooling around the homestead... Glock 20
Knife: CKRT M16
Wallet, Keys and Phone

HumblePie
25 January 2011, 13:45
9mm Beretta mini-Cougar 8000
Gould & Goodrich paddle holster
CCW permit, Spyderco, Blackberry, wallet
and (lol) reading glasses

CCK
25 January 2011, 15:43
Glock 26 and 19 one in tumi bag, one on hip in RCS Ghost.
iPhone
in tumi bag (goes with me everywhere outside of home and office):
Benchmade Vex
Surefire E1
Wallet/moneyclip
keys
hand sanitizer
eyeglass cloth,
excedrin,
USB thumbdrive,
notepad, pen,
Starbucks VIA instant coffee

Aragorn
26 January 2011, 09:38
M&P 9mm JG Edition
Crossbreed holster
1 spare mag in a Blackhawk leather pouch
Surefire LX2
Cold Steel 4" Voyager
Wallet
Keys
Cell

Needing to add another knife, also wanting to add a Steamlight Microstream.

Eric
26 January 2011, 16:33
Eric, what do you find your setup is missing and what do you propose to do about it?
The light, while very compact and fairly bright on the highest setting, is not user friendly. It is a twist bezel instead of a clicky switch, which is clumsy and slow to activate. I have larger 2x123A lights that I should carry, but will also examine other options. Also the lack of a BUG has been looked at. The bulk/weight of a full size 1911 can be challenging, but during the cooler months isn't a big deal and an appropriate belt mitigates this. I'm also fond of carrying a Glock 30 or 23, while the 26 is about as small as I go.

Optimus Prime
26 January 2011, 19:20
I was trying something different with lighting, not quite what I was hoping for, but there it is.

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/7255/carrystuff.jpg

I generally carry it in a Serpa (can't conceal around here... yet...) but I'm waiting on a Raven setup for the spare mag and gun with TLR1 attached.

m24shooter
30 January 2011, 13:36
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/EDC/edcpockets.jpg

Eric
30 January 2011, 14:18
M24shooter,
Which Kydex holster is that?

oregonshooter
30 January 2011, 15:57
http://oregonshooter.com/share/kydex/izula_kydex_holster_41.jpg
* West German Sig Sauer P228 in Ritchie Leather (cq-qr) (worn @ 5:00)
* Spare P226 mag & P6 with Malkoff M61 in TT Gunleather combo pouch (worn @ 9:00)
* ESEE IZULA fixed blade (worn @ 11:00)
* Cobra Gun Belt 1 1/2”
* Molded ear plugs
* Peanut lighter
* IronKey Drive
* Cybertool 41
* Maratac AAA Light
* iPhone 3G
* Business card holder

m24shooter
30 January 2011, 16:42
M24shooter,
Which Kydex holster is that?
It's the Ghost. Open muzzle OWB.
ETA: Sorry, it is made by Raven Concealment.
http://www.ravenconcealmentsystems.com/index.php?cPath=82&osCsid=10251da346cc26af0880c8adcaef2d49

Dos Cylindros
7 March 2011, 11:52
I work full time plain clothes narcotics, so I have two modes of EDC kit, and basically only the gun changes;

At work:

Glock 22 in a Raven Concealment phantom worn IWB on a Ares ranger belt with a spare magazine in a blade tech mag pouch.

A surefire EW-09 folding knife (gift from the wife)

Two wallets, one is my department credential case with flat badge, the other is my personal wallet with no LE marking or I.D. at all.

Off Duty:

All the above, with the exception of either a Glock 23 or Glock 27 (depending on weather and dress) in Raven Concealment IWB phantoms.

TehLlama
8 March 2011, 22:28
What's with all the CRKT M16 Knives?

LB TRS in MS VM2
1 Spare mag
Keys (with 3V Autumn Star 80Lumen light)
CRKT M16-4
Wallet, dX, Sunglasses, Pen.

556ForLife
9 March 2011, 12:52
HK p30 (Desantis Pro Stealth Holster)
Blackberry
House Keys
Car Keys
Spyderco Para-Military 2
Leatherman Monarch Light

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/CPSpecV03/2011-02-23_23-37-30_992.jpg

tcecil88
5 January 2012, 06:12
Sig P250C .45 w/ Federal 230 gr. HST +P, spare mag loaded w/ the same, Surefire 6P and a Spyderco Police model.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g429/tcecil88/DSC00938.jpg

I carry the Sig in an ITAC paddle holster and the mag and light in a fobus paddle rig.

BravoHotel
5 January 2012, 16:43
Ah, good thread. Thanks for reviving it! Here's my EDC kit:

* Springfield XDm 3.8" .40cal
* Crossbreed Super Tuck holster
* Benchmade knife I bought off an old Navy friend. Nothing special but it's held up well and I abuse it pretty good.
* 4Sevens Quark Mini 123 light
* Watch varies depending on if it's a work day or a play day, either my Raymond Weil or the trusty Suunto
* Wallet

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/149467/PHOTO%20HOSTING/EDC%20resized.jpg

KStang986
5 January 2012, 18:07
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4LtXl7UxknY/TUOSqDh4OBI/AAAAAAAAAQ0/piaf5CO-q-Q/s720/DSC_0182.JPG

First aid kit stays in my car. I also carry keys, wallet, cell phone, business cards and chapstick. I usually remove all weapons before I go to court, however.

LPMan59
5 January 2012, 20:34
Springfield Armory Loaded w/ VZ Operator II grips (I love them)
Comp-Tac Mag Carrier
Kirkpatrick Texas Strongside Holster (This is my newest holster and it is by the far the best OWB holster I have tried to date)
SOG Flash II

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/fennrx/20120104082126.jpg

goteron
10 January 2012, 11:31
M&P 9 w/ RMR & TLR-3 in Secret City Holster
Tops Folding Knife
Jetbeam Light
Pen
iPhone
Wallet

BravoHotel
10 January 2012, 18:08
M&P 9 w/ RMR & TLR-3 in Secret City Holster
Tops Folding Knife
Jetbeam Light
Pen
iPhone
Wallet

goteron - would like to see pics of your M&P if you have any.

goteron
11 January 2012, 05:16
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/goteron/aacf1cff.jpg

lamarbrog
11 January 2012, 22:59
In public:
Leatherman MUT Multitool
Gerber FAST Draw Pocket Knife
Sanyo Taho Cell Phone
Streamlight Stylus Pro Pen Light
Polished Chrome Zippo (If I am in remote areas, I don't smoke so I rarely carry it around town.)
Wallet
Keys

At work:
Above + Beretta 92FS and a spare magazine. 31 rounds of 9mm, Speer 124grain Gold Dots.
Blackhawk Serpa Holster (Possibly switching to a 5.11 Thumbdrive in the near future. Not concerned about the safety of the Serpa as much as I am the quality. After about a year of use, the retention is not very reliable.)

When I turn 21 and they decide to let me use my inalienable rights, I'll probably use a HK P7 as a CCW. Or, I may get a Glock 19.

SteveL
12 January 2012, 12:05
S&W M&P 9c IWB
Spare mag
folding knife
keys
wallet
mobile phone

I want to add a light, but need something small. Not a lot of room left on my belt. My keys eat up my front right pocket, and I also usually have a bluetooth earpiece for my phone, ink pen and sometimes a chapstick and all this eats up my front left pocket. My wallet is in my left hip pocket and my IWB position makes my right hip pocket pretty much useless.

Gunfixr
12 January 2012, 19:14
Well, I'm a cake eating civilian, so no badge or handcuffs.
However, I do carry at work, and it's usually the same, a Kimber Compact Stainless with an 8rd mag, and 2 10rd mags in a pocket (they're long enough to stay oriented). On the belt is a Gerber multitool and a light, LED at about 100 Lumens.
If I'm running light, I have a Polish P64 in 9mm Mak that I've Cerakoted, in a holster with 2 spare mags, 6rds each.
I have a bag that goes in the car, the P64 is in it should I not be carrying it, a poncho to serve as an emergency shelter, a couple days worth of MREs, some other survival oriented gear. The bag goes into work with me everyday.

lamarbrog
12 January 2012, 20:33
S&W M&P 9c IWB
Spare mag
folding knife
keys
wallet
mobile phone

I want to add a light, but need something small. Not a lot of room left on my belt. My keys eat up my front right pocket, and I also usually have a bluetooth earpiece for my phone, ink pen and sometimes a chapstick and all this eats up my front left pocket. My wallet is in my left hip pocket and my IWB position makes my right hip pocket pretty much useless.

I had this same exact problem. The Streamlight Stylus Pro solved it. It carries just like a pen.

SteveL
13 January 2012, 07:52
I had this same exact problem. The Streamlight Stylus Pro solved it. It carries just like a pen.

Thanks for the response. That looks like it might be what I need.

MoxyDave
13 January 2012, 11:14
I've had a Fenix LD01 (https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_419_421&products_id=2477) on my keychain for several years. Not much larger than a AAA battery and with 3 settings it is extremely versatile. Might want to give it a look.

SteveL
13 January 2012, 15:52
I've had a Fenix LD01 (https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_419_421&products_id=2477) on my keychain for several years. Not much larger than a AAA battery and with 3 settings it is extremely versatile. Might want to give it a look.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've also seen a couple of others I think would work while looking through the pics in this thread. I have several in mind to check out now.

Jack Kardic
12 February 2012, 10:55
Wallet, keys, phone
Zippo, smokes
2 tampons, 2 pads, 2 Epi-Pens
Kershaw 3.5" assisted opening
Surefire E2D

Gun is usually a 5" XD .45 acp with Tru-glo sights, when I go low-profile it's a Sig p238.
Note: I'm not allergic to anything, the Epi-Pens are for my friends, three of whom are deathly allergic to something, and of course, anyone who needs one.

lamarbrog
14 February 2012, 23:36
Wallet, keys, phone
Zippo, smokes
2 tampons, 2 pads, 2 Epi-Pens
Kershaw 3.5" assisted opening
Surefire E2D

Gun is usually a 5" XD .45 acp with Tru-glo sights, when I go low-profile it's a Sig p238.
Note: I'm not allergic to anything, the Epi-Pens are for my friends, three of whom are deathly allergic to something, and of course, anyone who needs one.

Okay, this has been bothering me since you posted it. Your name is listed as being "Jack", which I typically think of as a male name, as opposed to "Jackqueline" or "Jackie". However, you mention that you carry 2 tampons and 2 pads, which contradicts that... but even a female would not have that as being "every day carry", especially if a purse was not also part of the EDC, and you don't mention a purse.

This leads me to conclude that you must be carrying these feminine hygiene products as a sort of improvised first aid kit... but that makes me wonder why you would choose improvised materials, when something like an Israeli Bandage or QuikClot would likely be more effective and wouldn't have people wondering why you've got your pockets stuffed full of sanitary napkins and tampons.

Just wondering... Did I miss something?

brit
15 February 2012, 09:49
Tampons have an easy applicator for fitting in bullet holes! If severe enough, both bullet wounds and menstrual bleeding can lead to hypovolemic shock, right? [:D]

lamarbrog
15 February 2012, 10:43
Tampons have an easy applicator for fitting in bullet holes! If severe enough, both bullet wounds and menstrual bleeding can lead to hypovolemic shock, right? [:D]

I guess I just assume that if militaries around the world don't choose tampons for dealing with bullet wound trauma, that it's probably because there are better options out there.

brit
15 February 2012, 11:57
Actually there is documentation of navy corpsmen using them in Iraq. Of course, under the guidelines of "field expedient trauma care"

Realistically, most GSWs can be cared for in an out of hospital setting by using 4x4s and wrap. Once you get to the ER, the docs are rightfully more concerned about internal damage.

The tampon could still be used to absorb blood and the applicator could be used as a pressure point placed atop a dressing in urgent situations. I don't really see it as a bad idea, because you don't necessarily have to plug a hole and disturb tissue to use it. Any port in a storm, ya know?

Jack Kardic
15 February 2012, 14:22
To address issues in the order they were raised: 1) I am in fact male. 2) I neglected to mention my messenger bag a.k.a.man-purse because I typically only have that five days a week. 3) As a perpetually broke student I frequently have to improvise things like heating my apartment and "food." QuikClot and Israeli bandages are out of my price range, and I am aware that the SF troops at Joint Base Balad drew significant ire from the females stationed there for clearing the place out of hygiene products. Good enough for them, good enough for me.

lamarbrog
15 February 2012, 16:17
I would really like to see some trained medical professionals share their opinions on using tampons for treating gunshot wound trauma. I don't deny that it is likely better than nothing in an emergency... when I hear about Corpsmen carrying them to replace proper medical supplies, I sort of assume that it falls into the same group of "fact" that M16 furniture is made by Mattel. They probably do it... because they heard from a friend of a friend of a friend that tampons are the nation's best kept secret when it comes to trauma care.

A prominent opinion lately seems to be that tampons are not a field expedient, but should instead be used in place of traditional medical supplies. To me, this notion is absolutely absurd. I work at a shooting range, and in the range safety office there is an extensive first aid kit that has about everything you could hope for when it comes to treating a gunshot wound. Within a month of opening, someone shoved the top of the line trauma kit to the back of the cabinet, and sat a box of tampons at the front with "FOR GUNSHOT WOUNDS" written on it in big letters. [bash]

I promptly threw them away and restored real medical supplies to their proper place.

brit
15 February 2012, 18:57
Lamar, look two posts up from yours and you'll see a medical professional who has treated GSWs sharing his opinion.

Realistically, most GSWs can be cared for in an out of hospital setting by using 4x4s and wrap. Once you get to the ER, the docs are rightfully more concerned about internal damage.

The tampon could still be used to absorb blood and the applicator could be used as a pressure point placed atop a dressing in urgent situations. I don't really see it as a bad idea, because you don't necessarily have to plug a hole and disturb tissue to use it. Any port in a storm, ya know?

lamarbrog
15 February 2012, 21:36
Lamar, look two posts up from yours and you'll see a medical professional who has treated GSWs sharing his opinion.

Okay, I didn't realize you had any special insight on this. What are your credentials? (I'm not suggesting you don't have credentials, but if you're putting forth your opinion as being that of a "trained medical professional" it sort of follows that you would share where that status comes from.)

If I understand your prior statement correctly, you are saying that tampons will work- but so will almost anything else. So, while there is no harm in using a tampon as a field expedient wound dressing, there is also no real benefit over using something more mundane- like a bandage. Would that be a fair assessment of your position?

brit
15 February 2012, 21:46
I'm just a medic. And you hit the nail on the head, just about anything will work. Given the choice between the two, I would choose 4x4s instead of pads/ tampons as the latter holds NO benefit over 4x4s in my opinion. Strictly for EDC purposes, I would carry a handkerchief over anything else, because it has even more uses that are beyond medical.

lamarbrog
15 February 2012, 21:53
I'm just a medic. And you hit the nail on the head, just about anything will work. Given the choice between the two, I would choose 4x4s instead of pads/ tampons as the latter holds NO benefit over 4x4s in my opinion. Strictly for EDC purposes, I would carry a handkerchief over anything else, because it has even more uses that are beyond medical.

So, I assume we could extend this to say a Corpsman/Medic carrying tampons to use instead of the issued medical supplies would be pointless at best, and counterproductive at worst? And, that a shooting range replacing bandages in a trauma kit with a box of tampons would also be pointless, and maybe counterproductive? Not trying to put words into your mouth, so is that something you would agree with?

Hopefully this doesn't go too far forwards derailing this thread, but I want to make sure we're all on the same page with this. It seems to be something I hear about more and more frequently, and I want to make sure that I'm not missing something.

brit
15 February 2012, 23:32
Different situations, we're talking about EDC vs. Battle.

What is carried is based on the likelihood of having to use it. I respect that the corpsmen/whiskeys have a reason with at least empirical backing that they can use a tampon or maxi at least once.

zfr13
27 February 2012, 23:16
Here is mine;
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh630/leathermix/100_4060.jpg

-samsung galaxy s
-leathermix handmade wallet( http://www.leathermix.etsy.com)
-fenix e01(http://www.ebay.com)
-gerber bear grylls
-leathermix leather shackle bracelet( http://www.leathermix.etsy.com)
-telepen
-gerber shard( http://www.ebay.com)
-metal key usb
-paracord lanyard
-pill box case
-spyderco bug( http://www.amazon.com)