PDA

View Full Version : Bipods? What are the best choices?

BobinLaConner
4 February 2011, 15:25
I am looking at all the bipods and there are several choices out there, so I am hoping for some feedback from people who have used them. I am sure that it depends on what your application is...but I am probably like many civilian shooters that uses his gun for practice at the range, a little varmint/sage rat shooting and defending the castle should SHTF. I would like something lightweight and prefer a detachable or quick release mount. If the quality is there, I don't mind spending the money.

I have the Daniel Defense DDM4 V5 and love the gun...just looking for steady way to shoot from bench or prone in the field.

So far I have found the following...

Bobro (looks great, but always seems out of stock and some sites say discontinued?)
Atlas (expensive, but looks like a very high quality bipod)
Tango Down (I would rather not have two legs with independent mounts to attach and detach from the gun in a hurry)
grip pod (looks simple enough, but not sure if this is a compromise of both the bipod and the handgrip)
Harris Swivel 6-9 on a LaRue Quick Release (looks nice and simple/dependable)

Any experiences from guys that have these out there?

Paulo_Santos
4 February 2011, 17:09
I have had all of them except the Atlas and I had the regular Tangodown, not the double leg one. I'd also throw the Grip Pod in there.

I'd you use a VFG and your magnification is 4x or less, I'd get a Grip Pod. IMHO, the Grip Pod is one of the most underrated accessories available. If you plan on putting a regular scope on there, you can't go wrong with a Harris, or the Atlas if you want to spend the money. The Bobro would be awesome if it had notched legs. The Tangodown would be better if they designed it to fold forward instead of to the rear. You can obviously just turn it around, which I did, but the feet were facing the wrong way.

15ICAM
4 February 2011, 18:13
I have both the Harris and the ATLAS and both are excellent bi-pods, The ATLAS is built like a tank and is actually slightly lighter than the Harris with QD mount. As much as I like the ATLAS, I think for your rifle the Harris will suit you just as well for 2/3 the price as they both perform equally well. Where I really see the difference and the ATLAS really shines is when mounted to my LMT MWS. The heavier weight of the MWS settles the ATLAS better than the Harris and seems to be much more stable.

TehLlama
4 February 2011, 22:36
With KMW's PodLoc, the high end Harris units are fantastic, if a bit heavy compared to much less featured units like the GripPod.

While I'm not personally a fan of the GPS unit, it's an okay bipod that takes up very little rail space.

Rodman24
6 February 2011, 17:07
I recently purchased an Atlas and I'm very impressed. I was kind of surprised when I opened the box, because it really didn't look like much - very simple. Ironically that simple design appearance was what intrigued me when I decided to buy it, but in my hands I was just surprised by how light and simple it really was.

I've only had it to the range once. At that time it was mounted to my DDM4 (16"). But I bought it for my newly completed 20" 6.5 Grendel build. For your DD I'm sure you would probably be satisfied with the Harris. I was delirious from all money being spent on my 6.5, so I went for the Atlas. Kind of like when you've had 10 drinks... 1 morel shot of Tequila won't hurt.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2971-Accu-Shot-Atlas-V8-bipod

BobinLaConner
7 February 2011, 13:23
anyone have any experience or thoughts on the Harris bipod (BRM-S) that is offered by LaRue (with modified LT base)

15ICAM
7 February 2011, 13:43
Yes, I have one it works well but I find the pod-loc is a better option because for me it is easier and quicker to use from prone and especially when you want to really tighten down on the friction.

BobinLaConner
7 February 2011, 14:17
I will have to learn what the Pod-loc actually does...I have seen one, but I better re-read a little to educate myself. On the LaRue model there is a large knob, but I'm not sure if that is the same as the poc-loc.

UPDATE- after looking at both, I see they are the same function done two different styles. In my un-trained opinion, the knob seems like it would be out of the way and not catch on anything...but everyone sure seems to love the lever on the pod-loc

15ICAM
7 February 2011, 15:48
The good thing with the podloc to get it out of the way is that after you tension it you can pull back and "unengage" it and position it in any direction you want. It doesn't completely eliminate the protrusion and the Larue knob design has the edge in this category

BobinLaConner
7 February 2011, 19:11
I have another question on the harris style bipods... which size is right for the typical shooting bench or the occasional varmint shot from prone position? The 6-9 or the 9 -13"?

madcratebuilder
7 February 2011, 20:28
I have a 6-9 Harris with a Pod Loc, a Atlas with an AD QD and I have a grip pod I have used before. The Atlas is a very well engineered piece of equipment. The lighter weight is a big plus. The Harris weighs more but I like the pod loc over the friction knob on the Atlas. I just got my Atlas and have not had it in the field yet so I may change this opinion. The grip pod is a great forward grip but the legs are short and narrow for the prone position, OK for the bench. For $100 the Harris/Pod Loc is hard to beat, the Atlas with a QD is 2.5X the money. Not enough time with it to telll if it's 2.5X the bi pod.

I think the grip pod is great on a CQC rifle and the Harris and Atlas both get the job done.

15ICAM
8 February 2011, 06:33
For bench and prone on flat ground I like the 6-9. One other cool thing about the ATLAS is accu-shot makes leg extenders that I believe you can just slip on so that if you need the 9-13 you can quickly install these peices without needing 2 different bi-pods

Paulo_Santos
8 February 2011, 07:25
I have another question on the harris style bipods... which size is right for the typical shooting bench or the occasional varmint shot from prone position? The 6-9 or the 9 -13"?

Either one will work. If you use the 30 round magazines, you will have to raise the 6-9" up to almost 9". When I had the 9-12", I never went higher than 9".

kletzenklueffer
15 February 2011, 08:46
I've used Harris bipods for years, and have used Parker Hales before the Harris. I can't see why a QD is important on a bipod. For one , the Harris has a thumb nut to remove it from the swivel mount, so it comes off quick enough as is. Second, if you need a bipod, why would you be taking it off, and need to in a hurry?

FWIW, I use a Harris/podloc on my SPR. I used the same set up on an AR10 SWS and on a M40A1 clone. The podloc should have come with the Harris from the factory. I've attached thebipod to my rail with a KAC adaptor, but when I had the PRI Mk12 rail, I removed a screw in the bottom rail and threaded a swivel stud into the rail. I took the bipod off on occasion to lighten the weight of the rifle for a hunting/hiking trip. It took maybe ten seconds to take it off.