PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 question

Creeky73
7 February 2011, 04:53
I just acquired an 870 home defense model, and I have a question about the stock. This thing is very light, and it has a hollow stock. It also kicks like a mule, especially when compared to full size, wood-stock 870's, but I suppose this is to be expected from such a light shotgun. I was wondering about the possibility of filling the hollow stock with sand, or some other substance, as a cheap method of absorbing some of the kick. Is this reasonable? If so, should I fill it as full as possible, or leave some room for the sand to move around inside? Is there something else I could use that would be better, or should I just pony up the cash and buy a new stock? I know I am probably being a sissy-boy about it but I plan on shooting the hell out of this gun and would like to do whatever I can to lengthen my range time with it. Thanks in advance for any help!

AR-10
7 February 2011, 08:26
Try some low-recoil buckshot loads.

ICANHITHIMMAN
7 February 2011, 19:12
Gosh I have one of them about 5 years old seams like a sweet shooter to me. What ammo where you shooting?

madcratebuilder
7 February 2011, 20:45
A 3" 12ga slug well let you know you just puled the trigger. Run a box of 25 and you may feel some discomfort. A recoil reducing stock like a Knoxx well reduce felt recoil more than 50%. Cheap alternative is fill the butt with lead shot or a lead bar. It well help but not like a Knoxx.

skd_tactical
8 February 2011, 06:53
I have a high tube stock system on my 870. This lines the barrel/ bore up perfectly with my stock and greatly helps with felt recoil. It also gives my 870 ergonomics closer to an AR-15.

SOS

Creeky73
8 February 2011, 15:50
Gosh I have one of them about 5 years old seams like a sweet shooter to me. What ammo where you shooting?

I don't think the ammo was anything all that hot, it is probably due to the fact that I haven 't shot a 12 gauge with any regularity in many moons and I put probably 25 or so rounds through it almost immediately. The low-recoil ammo seems like a good idea, if I can get it cheap. Otherwise, it would be cost-prohibitive for me to shoot it as much as I would like to. I would like to avoid spending another $100+ on a stock, so the Knoxx idea is out, at least for now. Anyhow, thanks for the help guys :)

Creeky73
8 February 2011, 15:52
I have a high tube stock system on my 870. This lines the barrel/ bore up perfectly with my stock and greatly helps with felt recoil. It also gives my 870 ergonomics closer to an AR-15.

SOS

the one from Mesa Tactical? been looking hard at those, not necessarily the high rise model, but those setups are a little pricey for me, at least right now.

AR-10
9 February 2011, 18:06
I'm not sure what you are plinking with, but low-recoil loads are not that expensive.

They are a good choice for extended range sessions, and a good load for home defense.

My 870 is always full of reduced recoil 00 buck.

oregonshooter
9 February 2011, 18:47
A 13" LOP stock and squared up stance will soften that kick a ton. Limbsaver works well also.

+1 of reduced recoil 00 http://ombexpress.com has good deals

TehLlama
12 February 2011, 01:00
Moving to the shorter LOP and Pistol Gripped stock (SpeedFeed IV-S) made a huge difference for me, but I'm looking into reduced recoil loads so that I'm not the only one in my family who enjoys shooting it.

skd_tactical
12 February 2011, 14:58
the one from Mesa Tactical? been looking hard at those, not necessarily the high rise model, but those setups are a little pricey for me, at least right now.

It is. My barrel is still at the armorer getting it's breaching device installed, but the extra barrel I borrowed from work seems to function just fine. I have the High tube adapter, I removed the top rail b/c I'm not putting a scope on it. I want this to be as small as possible for ballistic door breaching.
So far I love it. I bought the high tube adapter by itself bc Lord knows I have more than enough AR15 buffer tubes and pistol grips laying around. Didn't see much sense in getting the whole kit.

SOS

PuppY_Kick3R
24 February 2011, 19:43
I 2nd the knoxx stock and also have one on my 870.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c361/jumb5150/870Tacticalrez.jpg

Creeky73
25 February 2011, 15:45
nice-looking setup there. what kind of front sight is that? I am considering the XS sight that you epoxy over the existing bead, anyone have any experience with it?