PDA

View Full Version : light-weight AR build

11specialcf
10 February 2011, 19:04
Hey I'm looking for a little input from some of the old veterans around here. I'm building a light-weight on a budget and here is what I've got so far
-Flat top receiver w/ M4 feed ramps
-16" light-weight barrel w/ mid-length gas system
-fixed front sight
-Phantom flash suppressor
-Magpul mid-length MOE hand-guards
-Magpul mil-spec CTR stock
-Magpul MOE pistol grip
-Magpul BUIS
-Teardrop forward assist
-Magpul MOE Trigger Guard

Anything i didn't mention is gonna be plain old standard parts.
I'm just looking for any suggestions, advice, or criticism from those who can help

Eric
10 February 2011, 19:31
Fist of all, welcome!

-16" light-weight barrel w/ mid-length gas system
What manufacturer?

It looks like a reasonable list, without a lot of unneeded junk. I like the LW plan and the mid-length gas system arguably has benefits compared to a standard carbine system. The Magpul CTR is something I use on a few carbines, to include my duty rig. The Magpul MOE trigger guard & grip are inexpensive upgrades that makes sense and MBUS works well. The Phantom line of FS works very well and are reasonably priced. Any plans for optics?

11specialcf
10 February 2011, 19:57
I'm using a DPMS lower and may go with a a del-ton upper or a rock river arms but its not certain yet. I plan on mounting an Eotech or Aimpoint in the future but a cheapo will have to suffice temporary untill the funds are available

rob_s
11 February 2011, 04:03
I'd prefer an quality rear BUIS to a cheap optical sight.

I'd go with the MOE stock over the CTR, if you don't already have the CTR.

Hmac
11 February 2011, 05:46
I'd go with the MOE stock over the CTR, if you don't already have the CTR.

Why do you say that?

AR-10
11 February 2011, 08:40
Why do you say that?

Probably because it's cheaper, and fits a mil-spec receiver extension so well that it doesn't even need a friction lock.

I'll be buying MOE stocks from now on unless I need a QD socket.

Hmac
11 February 2011, 09:18
Probably because it's cheaper, and fits a mil-spec receiver extension so well that it doesn't even need a friction lock.

I'll be buying MOE stocks from now on unless I need a QD socket.

OK. I'm curious because I am building a lightweight SBR and already have the carbine MOE handguard and grip, need to decide CTR vs MOE. I was wondering whether or not there was a functionality issue one vs the other. I'm using a Noveske end-plate so I don't need a QD socket on the stock. Cost is not a consideration.

Uglyduck
11 February 2011, 10:06
OK. I'm curious because I am building a lightweight SBR and already have the carbine MOE handguard and grip, need to decide CTR vs MOE. I was wondering whether or not there was a functionality issue one vs the other. I'm using a Noveske end-plate so I don't need a QD socket on the stock. Cost is not a consideration.

If you don't need to QD socket then I'd go with the MOE, its solid on the extension. Aside from the friction lock and QD, there's no major difference

To the OP, I rebound what eric asked, what manufacturer for the barrel?

Javang13
11 February 2011, 11:14
I just finished a very similar light weight mid-length build and ended up choosing the moe over the acs due to the .4lb difference in weight and have been very happy. Good luck with your build! that sounds like it will be a nice rile!

Quentin
11 February 2011, 13:25
I also just finished a lightweight profile midlength AR and am very happy with its balance and handiness.

The upper/barrel assembly/M16 BCG are Daniel Defense with MOE hand guards. Lower is S&W M&P-15 with a Stag LPK and BCM receiver extensionH buffer/M4 stock.

TehLlama
12 February 2011, 00:58
The barrel and BCG are going to be what dictates performance of the rifle (accuracy, reliability along with other things), so spending enough to get a really quality unit would be worth it. MOE Furniture across the board is remarkably good for the price.
For a 16", I'd just run the cheaper A2 compensator for the moment, make a decision on muzzle device later.

I'd even throw the Spike's LE into the mix for the complete upper.

Either way, a stripped lower, a DD/MOE LPK from PSA (or BCM Blemished Complete), and a Spikes/DD/BCM Midlength 16" LW Upper, and either MBUS rear a fixed rear sight will work great.

rob_s
12 February 2011, 04:21
I find the friction lock of the CTR to be wholly unnecessary. I believe "stock wobble" to be right up there with "play between upper and lower" and "the froth sight obscures my view through the optic" in terms of things that people think matter when mucking about around the house and which go completely out the window once on the range doing anything other than static target shooting. The MOE, therefore, is lighter, and cheaper, and simpler, all of which are plusses in my book. Just to be clear, I own several CTRs and several MOEs, and the MOE is what I buy now that I've had hands-on with both. Frankly I have found little reason for any other stock at all, although I do retain the M4 stock on most guns that come with them as the stock is really the last thing anyone needs to be concerned with "upgrading" but for some ironic reason is often actually the first. I suppose it's the drive to tinker combined with the relative ease of the stock change. At any rate, get the MOE, the CTR is unnecessary.

Agree with Llama above, as well. BCG and barrel are the critical elements to longevity, reliability, and accuracy provided that one does not scrimp so bad on the other features as to create tolerance issues that prevent assembly or increase wear.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12 February 2011, 11:28
I posted pics of my wifes light weight build in the explain your ar layout thread if you wanted to take a look

11specialcf
12 February 2011, 14:22
The barrel is century arms and the BCG is DPMS. I am not opposed to the MOE stock verses the CTR but actually have a great deal on the CTR. So not figuring price i figured why not have the friction lock. Is there any weight difference Between the MOE and CTR?

rob_s
12 February 2011, 14:34
The barrel is century arms and the BCG is DPMS.

What are you paying for these parts? You are not off to a good start IMHO and there are likely better options available for a few dollars more.

Hmac
12 February 2011, 18:02
I'm using a DPMS lower and may go with a a del-ton upper or a rock river arms but its not certain yet.

Hmmm. I'd be inclined to agree with Rob_s and suggest you rethink your choices . Maybe a little more research.

11specialcf
12 February 2011, 19:43
Honestly I'm mostly using parts I have lying around. Its looking like its gonna be a bit of a Frankenstein rifle

11specialcf
12 February 2011, 19:46
I appreciate all the comments. What would some suggestions be on the best parts for the money, while still maintaining good reliability and respectable accuracy keeping to my original design?

AR-10
12 February 2011, 19:58
What kind of shooting will you be doing, and what kind of ammo will you be shooting?

Buy a quality barrel and bolt, those are the only two items that I wouldn't scrimp on.

rob_s
13 February 2011, 06:45
Honestly I'm mostly using parts I have lying around. Its looking like its gonna be a bit of a Frankenstein rifle

If you're just taking things out of the trash bin and bolting them together to see what you get, that's something different than what I gathered from your first post.

If I were looking to build a lightweight AR from scratch, I'd still start with a quality Barrel and BCG. This barrel from Daniel Defense (https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/16-5-56mm-lightweight-mid-length-chf-barrel-stripped.html) gets my vote, as does this BCG from BCM (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm). I'd put an M4 stock, A1 pistol grip, oval mid-length handguards, and irons instead of optics before I'd scrimp on the barrel and bolt.

If you need the FSB, gas tube, and barrel nut/delta ring then Daniel Defense has this one too (https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/16-5-56mm-lightweight-mid-length-chf-barrel-complete.html). BCM also has this stripped barrel (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-Stripped-LIGHT-WEIGHT-p/bcm-brl-mid-16lw%20std.htm) for $230.

Rodman24
13 February 2011, 12:19
I agree with Rob on the DD barrels. I (and others I know) have had very solid results.

Just an FYI - with the 1/7 twist I've found that my DD prefers heavier weight bullets. For GP use the 55gr to 62gr are okay, but it really prefers the heavier stuff.

11specialcf
13 February 2011, 19:55
This rifle is mostly gonna be a plinker. I'm hoping to do this build in all Lewis Machine parts down the road but not yet. I made a mistake on the barrel earlier, it's actually a Wilson. What is the consensus on the Wilson LW barrel? Most of the ammo I'll be feeding it is gonna be 55gr Sierra reloads.

Quentin
14 February 2011, 09:00
I also have to agree with Rob on the DD 16" LW midlength barrel. I recently got a complete DD URG with this barrel and it's turned out to be exactly what I needed. No doubt a BCM would do just as well.

As far as your Wilson barrel, I don't know if you'll get many comments on their LW but overall they're all right. The Wilson HBAR on my ArmaLite upper is unremarkable, nothing horrible to say and no raving either. The chamber is a little too loose but that's better than too tight.

TehLlama
14 February 2011, 22:35
It's not a bad barrel, and if you're shooting mostly 55gr then it won't hold you back tons.

Jimbo45
17 February 2011, 18:54
If you're just taking things out of the trash bin and bolting them together to see what you get, that's something different than what I gathered from your first post.

If I were looking to build a lightweight AR from scratch, I'd still start with a quality Barrel and BCG. This barrel from Daniel Defense (https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/16-5-56mm-lightweight-mid-length-chf-barrel-stripped.html) gets my vote, as does this BCG from BCM (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm). I'd put an M4 stock, A1 pistol grip, oval mid-length handguards, and irons instead of optics before I'd scrimp on the barrel and bolt.

If you need the FSB, gas tube, and barrel nut/delta ring then Daniel Defense has this one too (https://danieldefense.com/cold-hammer-forged-barrels/16-5-56mm-lightweight-mid-length-chf-barrel-complete.html). BCM also has this stripped barrel (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-Stripped-LIGHT-WEIGHT-p/bcm-brl-mid-16lw%20std.htm) for $230.

Don't forget, if you go with the DD barrel assembly, you will need to buy and install a .625" handguard cap, to run standard handguards. Not a big deal, but worth noting. I bought the same thing a couple months ago, and had a bit of trouble finding a .625" triangle cap.