PDA

View Full Version : M855 vs Match 223

chazthebiker
11 February 2011, 00:29
I have a question for the ammunition experts:

I have a 5.56 16" Noveske barreled rifle that I shoot 62 grain M855 ammo through.

I also have a 6.8 SPC 18" barreled rifle that I shoot 110 grain SSA Match ammo through

I understand that M855 is not match ammo, but it is not near the accuracy of the SSA 6.8 SPC match ammo. Not even close.

Here's my question: Is match ammo really that much better? Would shooting a 223 match grade heavy bullet round (75 grain?) be a better test of my Noveske Recon barrel's accuracy? Like I said, I know M855 is not match ammo, but had no idea the groups would seem so large. I didn't measure, but at 25 yards for zero about 3" with the M855 vs .5" or less with the SSA 6.8 match ammo? That's about 30 rounds each. An awful lot of the 6.8 went through the same little holes.

I'm thinking I should use match ammo for target practice and just save the rough stuff for classes or extreme emergencies. I never realized that ammo choice made such an accuracy difference. With these results I am very impressed with my WOA barrel and a little disappointed in my Noveske barrel. Maybe it is all because of the ammo that the Noveske seems so bad?

Tell me what you think guys.

Stickman
11 February 2011, 04:35
Ammo makes a massive difference in accuracy. Get some 77 or 75 grain match ammo in your 5.56 weapon and see the difference.

Paulo_Santos
11 February 2011, 06:21
Not only does ammo make a difference, but each barrel has a mind of it's own and can like different ammo. If you are just plinking, any ammo will do, but if you are doing some accuracy shooting, you will need match ammo for beat results.

chazthebiker
12 February 2011, 13:47
Appreciate all your responses guys! I had a feeling the ammo might make a big difference. You folks confirmed it for me. I'll give the heavier stuff a try next time I am home (April). I'll also be switching from standard carbine buffers to H2 buffers to see what that does for me. Maybe slowing down the cycle will also help? Heck, back when I was in the Army, and later the Marine Corps, you just shot the ammo and weapon you were givien. I don't recall any discussion of ammo grades or buffer weights at the time. There's a lot to learn. Thanks again for all the help and ideas guys!