PDA

View Full Version : Noveske SS Barrel with FSB?

chazthebiker
22 February 2011, 00:11
I have a question and need help answering it.

I am going to assemble a 6.8 SPC rifle. I want to use a Noveske stainless barrel with a traditional FSB. Noveske does not offer such an assembly (14.5", FSB, midlength gas, handguard rings etc.) in stainless steel.

Have any of you put together a barrel assembly as described? Is it possible?

I know: Why not use a CHF barrel assembly? The reason is because I only see my weapons for a few days each year and have a morbid fear of coming home to rusty barrels. Also, Noveske does not make one in 6.8 SPC with a FSB.

Thanks guys!

AR-10
22 February 2011, 10:56
I'm pretty sure Noveske's 6.8 barrels have a gas block seat that is just long enough for the gas block, then the barrel steps down to a slightly smaller diameter after the gas block face.

What I'm trying to say is, I don't think you can put an FSB on one of his stainless 6.8 barrels because an FSB is around 2" long - the front "ring" of your sight base will be a loose fit since this portion of the barrel is smaller.

Might wanna call and verify that.

AR-10
22 February 2011, 11:06
Straight from the webpage:

The barrel ships with gas block installed and the dowel pin in place. This barrel is designed for our gas block that is 1" long(INCLUDED). A standard front sight base is 1.9" long and WILL NOT FIT.

Why not just run his gas block and put a 10" handguard over it with a fixed front sight?

chazthebiker
22 February 2011, 19:04
Straight from the webpage:

Why not just run his gas block and put a 10" handguard over it with a fixed front sight?

Thanks AR10. Do you mean a 10" free floating hand guard? If so, I am trying to avoid that cost. I have two 5.56 rifles with Mega monolithic uppers and a 6.8 SPC with a Larue Tactical rail. I guess I just want a rifle with a traditional FSB but in stainless and 6.8 SPC. There just may not be that option out there. Thanks for explaining why it won't work with a Noveske barrel. Every little bit of knowledge helps.

AR-10
22 February 2011, 22:08
Yes I meant a FF handguard.

White Oak Armament makes a 16" mid-length stainless 6.8 barrel, I don't see why you couldn't have it cut down to 14.5" and re-threaded.

Their barrels will accept an FSB so it might be worth it if you can't find anything else.

chazthebiker
23 February 2011, 19:13
Wow, thanks! I had not thought of doing that. I am real happy with my 18"WOA 6.8 barrel. It would be nice to have the barrel match the upper/lower (Noveske), but that isn't in the cards I guess. I see it at Rainier now. I'll have to write to Rainier to see whether they can cut it.
Thanks again!