PDA

View Full Version : Help me finish my (sorta) KISS carbine! (please?)

Emilio84
23 February 2011, 21:19
So it all started with a spikes st2 buffer and spring I had laying around. It was really lonely so I bought it a fixed carbine style stock take-off from a colt. I woke up one morning and some crazy drunk went on palmetto state armory's site and ordered one of their MOE LPK's and one of their $65 lowers. Then someone sent me an a1 upper and surefire carbine forend light and I found a BAD lever in my box-o-parts

The result is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/paintballny/9942cf2c.jpg

So, now I'm trying to decide on a barrel, comp, and BCG. I'm in NY so no flash hiders just comps and brakes (also the reason for the fixed stock).

I was thinking of going with a Bravo Company BCG as I really like the quality of the one I have in my other AR.

As for the barrel I was thinking of getting a 14.5" barrel since I have to pin a muzzle device anyway. Any reccomendations?

For the muzzle device I was thinking of trying the Rainier Arms XTC comp since the price is right and it has received good reviews.

One thing to note is that this is a bit of a budget build. At the moment I'm only at $446.50 with the surefire forend so I'd like to keep the prices as low as possible without sacrificing quality.

rob_s
24 February 2011, 03:44
The parts you have left are the parts most critical to determining how the rifle will function, both in terms of "feel" as well as application and reliability. My inclination would be not to go "cheap" on those parts at all, but certainly not on the BCG. I think your initial thought of BCM for the BCG is a good one.

As to the barrel, the market is sure flooded with options these days. A Model 1 Sales chrome-lined lightweight 16" barrel is $220 with FSB, handguard cap and barrel nut. You'll still need to add the delta ring and springs. A BCM 16" lightweight barrel is $229 without the FSB, cap, nut, or delta ring assembly. Personally, I'd opt for the BCM route here too. However, depending on your intended use, if you have the chamber reamed on the Model 1 barrel it would probably be fine for light use and plinking.

Emilio84
24 February 2011, 04:00
Rob - not looking to go cheap just not looking to go crazy since this is a very basic build. BCG is going to be BCM unless I can be swayed to go with something else. At $140 it's pretty much the average price for a quality BCG. As for the barrel assembly my goal is under $300 complete (barrel/fsb/deltapack/cap/nut) and if possible including the cost of the muzzle device. I was looking at a BCM barrel but that means I need to have the FSB installed which is a significant cost. Seems like a Daniel Defense barrel might be my best option for a quality BBL assembly that is ready to go. I have a CHF DD barrel on my other AR and really like it. A bit more than I want to spend (~320 without muzzle device) but I suppose you get what you pay for.

rob_s
24 February 2011, 05:04
Can you use a flattop for anything else? Or sell it? Buying a complete BCM just for the comPlete barrel might be less expensive overall.

Emilio84
24 February 2011, 06:01
Can you use a flattop for anything else? Or sell it? Buying a complete BCM just for the comPlete barrel might be less expensive overall.

I definitely could go that route but that would give me something I'm not really looking for. The real catalyst for this build is my desire for a carbine with an A1 upper, Surefire forend and a 14.5" barrel. Sure there are more practical options but I just really like the way an a1 upper and suefire forend look on a 14.5" carbine.

rob_s
24 February 2011, 09:43
I think maybe you misunderstood.

Buy the complete BCM upper. This will get you a complete barrel with flash hider, FSB, handguard cap, barrel nut, and delta ring assembly. It will all come attached to a flattop upper.

Remove the barrel from the upper. Have your device perm-attached and (I assume) your bayo lug removed. Attach modified barrel to your current project.

Retain flattop upper for other project, or sell off if unneeded.

AR-10
24 February 2011, 10:35
Rob, wouldn't the FSB on the BCM flat-top be too tall for his A1 upper?

I know there are taller front sight posts for A1 to flat-top receiver swaps, but what would you do in this case?

rob_s
24 February 2011, 10:50
That's not a bad point, and it could be an issue, but if so it's likely to be an issue on the DD barrel as well.

Front sight height relative to the rear is hit or miss. I've had flattop conversions from A2 where I needed a taller post, and some where I did not. and I've seen others have them go both ways. That leads me to believe that going from an F-FSB to an A1 might go either way as well. But in any event I would think that any of the barrels from any of the better makers that comes with an FSB would encounter this issue. Leaving you to buy the BCM bare barrel and then the correct height FSB as perhaps the best option.

This may be one case when the lesser barrels are "better" due to the lower FSB height they use to save cost.

Paulo_Santos
24 February 2011, 13:58
Rob, wouldn't the FSB on the BCM flat-top be too tall for his A1 upper?

I know there are taller front sight posts for A1 to flat-top receiver swaps, but what would you do in this case?

Even if it was too tall, you can always buy a shorter front sight post, which costs a few bucks.

Paulo_Santos
24 February 2011, 14:00
Emilio, my favorite muzzle brakes are the BattleComp, FSC556, and the RainierArms. If price was an issue, I'd check into the Troy Muzzle Brake.

sdoperator
24 February 2011, 17:17
Even if it was too tall, you can always buy a shorter front sight post, which costs a few bucks.

Not with the muzzle device welded on, he can't.

rob_s
24 February 2011, 17:40
Not with the muzzle device welded on, he can't.

"post", not "base".

TehLlama
26 February 2011, 04:49
I'd agree with running a BCM or DD barrel assembly. Swapping a front sight post should be fine, but starting off with one that isn't canted is going to be more important than the F/non-F height for the FSP.
A $50 differential from a HPT/MPI barrel and BCG isn't going to change that you have a very affordable rifle, it will just make it more useful.

For pinned 14.5" units, the SEI Vortex and BC1.5 are my favorites, but have you considered the simple A2X extended A2 hider? It's fairly cheap, and should look at home on a rifle like yours.

Emilio84
26 February 2011, 20:14
I can get a dd 16" chf barrel with mounted fsb for $263 from brownells. I'd prefer a 14.5 but can't seem to find a deal. I'm still looking though. As for a muzzle device I have to go with a break or comp to be legal in ny.

TehLlama
27 February 2011, 13:13
Yeah, forgot the NY thing. As partial as I am to the Battlecomp units, you might also be able to find a used 14.5" pinned unit with a PWS 556 brake too

Emilio84
27 February 2011, 17:34
Yeah, forgot the NY thing. As partial as I am to the Battlecomp units, you might also be able to find a used 14.5" pinned unit with a PWS 556 brake too

That would be idea. I am keeping my eyes peeled for such an example. I'm in no rush to finish this rifle so we'll see what comes up.