PDA

View Full Version : Springfield M1A Bolt Catch Removal Question

15ICAM
1 March 2011, 08:03
I tried removing the bolt catch from my SA M1A to install the SEI extended bolt catch and found that the roll pin can only be push out to the rear of the rifle due to a lip on the barrelside of the bolt catch. I tried using a punch from the barrel side, but could not get it in at a clean angle without fear of messing something up.

Do any of you SA M1A guys have any helpful hints or know of any special tools to accomplish this task that I coul try. This is pretty much my last part I need to install to complete my Mk14 Mod 0 clone

5pins
1 March 2011, 08:38
Not sure if this would work or not.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26484/Product/BOLT_CATCH_PIN_PUNCH

15ICAM
1 March 2011, 12:15
I thought about that tool and probably will end up ordering it to see if it works, if not its good to have for AR work

5pins
1 March 2011, 13:33
What’s size punch?

15ICAM
1 March 2011, 13:48
The 1/16th fit in the hole, but in order to get it in it was at about a 30-45 degree angle due to the lip, to try and overcome this, i took the punch and bent the tip so that it would be tip would go in straight and managed to get the role pin to move slightly but then ran out of room again.

I saw there is a Company in TX called Warbirds that will bevel the roll pin hole to allow this modification but really want to avoid paying over $100 in shipping and shop costs to install a $40 part

Here is an excerpt from the "Warbirs" website that describes the problem better than I can

"Bevel bolt stop roll pin hole in the front only"

"This is a much needed modification for those who service their own rifles. Half the M14-M1A receivers have a front roll pin hole that is half closed, which means that you can not remove the bolt stop roll pin to replace the bolt stop. You could crack or damage the bolt stop bridge by forcing a 1/16 pin punch into the front of the roll pin hole. I also offer this service to customers (at an additional charge) when you send a parts kit to be built, or other work done by me."

I know that there is some way around this... I just need to find it