PDA

View Full Version : EOTech EXPS 2-0 Preview

Paulo_Santos
1 March 2011, 08:22
I was going to get an Aimpoint PRO, but I couldn't pass up on the deal that I got on an EOTech EXPS 2-0. I've had a ton of EOTechs and we have them on our Patrol Carbines, so I'm very familiar and comfortable with the EOTechs. I actually prefer the standard co-witness, but I don't plan on using a magnifier, so it won't be as big of an issue.

I set this up on my LMT MRP upper it works very well with the ARMS #71 sights. For anyone that doesn't know, the bottom of the EOTech reticle is pretty much on at 7 yards. The ARMS #71 is also on at 7 yards if you look through the notch on top, and it was on when I co-witnessed them, which is a nice feature.

What really has surprised me so far is the EOTech QD Mount. I remember reading posts where guys were complaining about the throw lever even before it came out. IMHO, the EOTech throw levers are just a notch below the Bobro throw levers. The locking mechanism is solid and the adjustment is very simple and effective.

I should be going out to the range this weekend and I'll post a full review when I'm done testing it.

Hmac
1 March 2011, 10:22
I look forward to your review. I have a couple of OPMODS, one on my Light Recce for about 2500 rounds, and the other came off my Mossberg 500 after about 200 rounds and is now on my SBR having replaced a T-1. The EXPS 2-0 has worked well for me. They've been completely reliable and I agree about both the QD lever mount and the utility of the reticle.

CLBME
2 March 2011, 09:31
I too am looking forward to this review. I will have funds shortly for an Eotech XPS 2-0 or the Aimpoint Pro. I still haven't decided which one yet. Thanks for the upcoming review.

Hmac
2 March 2011, 10:23
I read on one of the other forums that there is some confusion as to whether or not Aimpoint will be selling the PRO to non-LEO's. It's shaping up to look like they will be available only to LEO's, "security organizations", maybe .mil, etc etc. If you're not a cop, better get your order in ASAP. Maybe they'll open it back up to the public if and when supplies are less constrained. In the meantime, I'd have to say that I've seen more coherent product roll-outs before.

CLBME
2 March 2011, 11:29
Hi Hmac- I had read that somewhere too and I'm not LE. I wasn't sure whether to put much stock in it. In the meantime I'm held back by finances at the moment so I'll have to see what unfolds in the next week- hopefully less. Maybe my decision will be made for me.

Thank you for the heads up.

I read on one of the other forums that there is some confusion as to whether or not Aimpoint will be selling the PRO to non-LEO's. It's shaping up to look like they will be available only to LEO's, "security organizations", maybe .mil, etc etc. If you're not a cop, better get your order in ASAP. Maybe they'll open it back up to the public if and when supplies are less constrained. In the meantime, I'd have to say that I've seen more coherent product roll-outs before.

Paulo_Santos
2 March 2011, 11:34
I don't see why they would only sell the PRO's to LE.

Hmac
2 March 2011, 12:32
I don't see why they would only sell the PRO's to LE.

Me neither, unless supplies are constrained, or unless the low price is part of a limited-audience marketing plan. Or both. Or some other reason that we don't know. Aimpoint isn't exactly big on public transparency.

Eric
2 March 2011, 14:35
Aimpoint is selling them through their LE dealers, who appear to be able to sell them to anyone.

Hmac
2 March 2011, 14:54
Yeah, all I have is hearsay...worse, it's internet hearsay.

The thread is here (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72132&page=7), over on M4Carbine.

JohnnyRambo
3 March 2011, 10:12
I am an authorized Aimpoint dealer and I asked my salesperson for the Patrol PRO dealer pricing since it is not listed on the 2011 Aimpoint Dealer Pricing Catalog. He said it is only for LEO dealers and is not to be sold or advertised to the civilian market.

But I managed to find them for sale online anyhow from a few places. I even bought one to test for myself. I guess the dealers did not understand that they are only to sell and advertise these to LEO Only.

The price is incredible and I am very excited to get it and see how it compares to the rest of Aimpoints product line. If you can find one I suggest getting one. I am not sure why the LEO only rules for this optic. Maybe it's a nice price break for departments to afford to outfit their arsenals. Or maybe it is just hype to get people to buy them. They actually raised the dealer prices on almost all of their product line for 2011. Not by much but there are increases in dealer costs this year. I don't think they are worried about Eotech's rebates and lower pricing.

Any which way, for $400 it is a steal of a deal. You get a transparent lens cap, a very solid mount, NVG compatible and 2moa red dot. All excellent features. Supposedly the battery life is less than the CompM3 but is suppose to last 3 years which is plenty for me.

I also just purchased the new EOTECH EXPS3-0 NV 65/1MOA QD MNT TAN. It is a great looking optic as well so I am not biased towards one company or the other. They are both excellent and I would trust my life to both. It just comes down to which gets me on target faster and that is going to take some field time to figure out.

Paulo_Santos
13 March 2011, 15:10
I'll post the review when as soon as I get a chance. Here is just an update. I did 4 10 round shot groups at 50 yards with just the EOTech to show the repeatability of the QD Mount: I think the picture speaks for itself.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/818c94cf.jpg