PDA

View Full Version : 2MOA or 4MOA dots - which one to use with a 3X

AR-10
3 March 2011, 10:14
I'm about to order optics for the middy and I'm not sure what size dot I should get if it's occasionally going to be sitting in front of a magnifier.

I'm thinking I want the smaller dot which is why I'm looking at the Comp M4s.

Discuss.

Paulo_Santos
3 March 2011, 11:42
It honestly isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be, especially if you use a 100 yard zero. Some people don't like the 4MOA dot, so it is good to play it safe and get the 2MOA dot. Most people, including me, wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.

Hmac
3 March 2011, 12:43
I don't care for a 4 MOA dot with a 3x magnifier. It turns the dot into a kidney-bean-shaped blob. The 1 MOA Eotech dot is nice and crisp.

http://projecthaiti.net/T1mag2.jpg

Paulo_Santos
3 March 2011, 14:02
I wonder if that is something to do with the T1. I didn't have any problem with my Aimpoint M2. The dot was perfect.

Hmac
3 March 2011, 19:00
The 4 MOA T-1 dot was fine under normal (for me) use. It was only with the 3x magnifier that it blobbed up.

TehLlama
4 March 2011, 21:58
Same here, magnified is the only time I have any preference at all between Aimpoint dot sizes, and then it's a case of smaller is better. Shoot fine with them either way, but longer range shots are always easier with a crisper reticle.

AR-10
6 March 2011, 08:57
Thanks for the input guys, I ordered the smaller dot.