PDA

View Full Version : Sig replacement barrel advice please

reiswigt
5 March 2011, 08:40
I'm looking for advice on brand and source for a .40 replacement barrel for a P226. I've only seen factory Sig ones and don't know if they are the only game in town or the best option.

Thanks.

Rodman24
5 March 2011, 10:07
Bar-Sto makes Sig replacements. I have no experience with them, so I can't speak to quality. I just recall a member of my gun club mentioning that he had ordered one from MidwayUSA. I'm sure they'll have some reviews on the web site.

Wondering Beard
5 March 2011, 12:52
What is the problem you experience with the regular SIG barrel?

They are quite accurate.

As Rodman states Bar Sto makes SIG barrells but as with all of their barrels they are rather tight and it may (or may not) affect reliability.

reiswigt
5 March 2011, 15:47
My factory Sig barrel is excellent and very accurate. The only problem I've experienced with my existing Sig barrel is the cost to feed it .357 Sig ammo. I realized that a .40 barrel would pay for itself in less than one class day, of which I am in hopes of doing this summer.

Wondering Beard
6 March 2011, 11:37
I hadn't realized you wanted a barrel in a different caliber than the original. It's an excellent idea in your case, though expect perhaps a little less accuracy than with your 357 SIG as the 40, for reasons unknown to me, isn't as accurate a caliber.

A fast internet search has only shown Bar Sto as a maker of SIG barrels (well Storm Lake too but only in 9mm). I'm sure there are other manufacturrs of SIG barrels than just the ones previouly mentioned but I'm pretty sure they all produce 'match' barrels which are likely to be more expansive than the OEM barrel and not necessarily more reliable.

I think you should be just fine with a SIG OEM barrel.

reiswigt
10 March 2011, 21:37
Thanks for the advice everyone. It looks like the factory Sig barrel will be the one for me.