PDA

View Full Version : Handgun accuracy. The (current) best I can do

fuse
14 March 2011, 08:42
at 25 yards. I feel pretty good about it, actually, considering how far I have come. Which is quite far.

http://184.72.239.143/mu/483c3804-2f4d-ce30.jpg

I have always struggled with accuracy on the handgun. as I said this has improved dramatically, mostly in the last 3 months. The main key for me has been shooting 2 inch circles. I started this after ToddG gave us all a bunch of pistol-training.com targets after his recent "How to Practice" practice session at the NRA range in Fairfax, VA. Like in the class, every range trip since I actively work on accuracy by starting at 4 yards and shooting 5 rounds into a 2" circle. Assuming they all make it in the circle, I increase distance a half a yard (the increments the target system my range uses) and repeat. If not, I try again at the current distance. I typically cannot reliably pass 5.5-6 yards, and so with that in mind, plus the odd-looking group pictured here, I am certainly have lots of room for improvement.

Glock 17 gen 4. Shooting my 115 grn reloads.

I shot 8 rounds. 6 of them are in the black, all are on paper.

(I previously used this target to rezero an AR, hence the 7 or so .22 caliber holes)

How do you practice pure accuracy?

zero7one
14 March 2011, 17:35
How do you practice pure accuracy?

Slow down your pace. Concentrate on the current round you are working on and not the next one or the one before it. Your sight picture should come fairly naturally and if you forget to breathe, you will pass out. The #1 thing that you should be working on is your trigger press. Ensure that it is straight back and do not anticipate the shot....just let it happen. While pressing your trigger to the rear say the mantra "Keep pressing, keep pressing, keep pressing" until the handgun goes off. Saying the mantra should help you to concentrate at the task at hand, which is trigger control.

oregonshooter
14 March 2011, 18:54
Add to that "follow through" as in watch your sights and focus on not moving after the gun goes bang for a second. Eventually you will have a good habit and be able to do it at speed.
Also, learn to "disconnect" your trigger finger action from the rest of your movements.

Buy and read this book often until you get it.... Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals (http://brianenos.com/store/books.html)

brit
15 March 2011, 22:11
I have found dry-firing repeatedly and often to be an asset to my shooting. Good dry fire practice can really help you notice your technique and the little things you might not notice when shooting live rounds.

Keep it up, the willingness to learn and the discipline to implement can help you become as good as you want to be.

tac40
16 March 2011, 18:44
If you have dummy rds/practice rds, put a few between the live rds and check yourself for the anticipated trigger press. Work on your sear re-set and trigger press.