PDA

View Full Version : EOTech EXPS 2-0 Review.

Paulo_Santos
15 March 2011, 17:52
Please post comments here (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?3077-EOTech-EXPS-2-0-Review.&p=28691#post28691).

INTRO:
This is my review of the EOTech EXPS 2-0.

OVERVIEW:
Offering true 2 eyes open shooting, a transversely mounted lithium 123 battery, and 7 mm raised base offering iron sight access, the new EXPS2 features easy to adjust side buttons and a single, quick release throw lever for easy attachment and removal.

Reticle is a 65MOA circle with 1 MOA aiming dot
Single transverse 123 battery to reduce sight length
Shortened base only requires at most 2 3/4 inch of rail space
Battery cap and latch are eliminated and replaced with a simple O-ring, tethered cap; better sealing is achieved
Battery compartment is now separated from the base to allow it to hover over the delta ring of the rifle
Average battery life at brightness level 12 is roughly 600 hours
Side buttons with a single quick detach throw lever
Operation:

Optics: Transmission holography - parallax free
Magnification: 1x
Eye Relief: Unlimited
Length/Width/Height: 3.5"x2.4"x2.8" (91.4X 60.9x71mm)
Weight: 11.2 oz (317grams)
Temperature: -40 to 150 F
Waterproof: Submersible to 10 ft depth
Sealing: Fogproof internal optics
Color/Finish: Non reflective black with hard coat finish
Adjustment (per click): 0.5 MOA (1/2" at 100 yds)
Adjustment Range: +/- 40 MOA travel
Mount: 1" Weaver or (MIL-STD-1913) rail. Adjustable for width variation
Return to Zero: Repeatable to within 2 MOA after re-mounting
Heads-Up-Display Window:

Optical Surfaces: Anti-glare coating
Window Dimensions: 1.20" x 0.85" (30 x 23mm)
Front Window Material: 1/8" solid glass
Rear Window Material: Shatter resistant laminate (3/16" thick)
Field of View (100 yds): 30 yds (28m) at a 4" eye relief
Reticle Options: Black EXPS2 Models include only one of the following reticles:
65MOA ring with single 1MOA dot
Electrical:

Brightness Adjustment Range: 146,000:1 brightest to lowest
Night Vision Brightness Range: 1280:1 with NV switch engaged
Power Source: (1) 123 lithium battery
Battery Life: 600 continuous hours at nominal setting 12
Brightness Settings: 20 settings with scrolling feature
Auto Battery Check Indicator: Flashing reticle upon start-up
Auto Shut-down: At 8 hrs- programmable to 4 hrs
INITIAL THOUGHTS:
I've had several EOTechs in the past and we have them on our Patrol Carbines at work, so I'm very familiar with the EOTechs. I've had 512's, 552's, the 516, and the XPS 3-2. I generally prefer the Standard Height ones, but I wanted to try the EXPS because of the built-in QD Throw Levers. I've had every throw lever out on the market from ARMS, ADM, Larue, GG&G, and Bobro, and to be honest, the EOTech QD Throw Levers are right up there with all of them. The locking mechanism is top notch.

RANGE TIME:
I went to the range to sight the EOTech in and do some repeatability tests. I did 4 ten round shot groups at 50 yards with just the magnifier. after every 10 rounds, I removed the EOTech and placed it back on the upper. As with all optics, I always move them as far forward on the rail slot. This really helps with repeatability. I think the picture below speaks for itself in terms of repeatability:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/818c94cf.jpg

EOTECH HEIGHT:
The EOTech EXPS sits up at approximately 2.285". This is generally higher than I prefer due to my body shape, but it is workable for me. The reticle sits a little lower in the EOTech window when my cheekweld is at my preferred height.

ADDRESSING EOTech COMPLAINTS:
Over the years, I have heard of many complaints about the EOTechs. Here are some of the common complaints and how I would address them:

1. SHORT BATTERY LIFE:
COMPLAINT:
The EOTech XPS/EXPS has a battery life of 600 hours on the brightness setting 12. Even if someone were to have it on for 24 hours, that would equal to approximately 25 days. Realistically, no one is going to have it on 24 hours a day. So lets try 8 hours a day. That would equal to 75 days (2.5 months).

SOLUTION:
Just figure out exactly how often you realistically you will be using your EOTech and change out the batteries accordingly.

2. AUTO SHUT-OFF:
COMPLAINT:
The EOTechs all have a 4 or 8-hour shut-off, depending which button you turn it off with. The complaint is that you can't just turn your EOTech on and leave it on like an Aimpoint, so in a SHTF or on a call-out, you may not have time to turn on the EOTech.

SOLUTION:
If you have fixed irons and you can't turn the EOTech on in time, just use your irons. If you have Flip-up Iron Sights, just leave them in the up position, so in the event that you don't have time to turn on your EOTech, just use the Flip-up Iron Sights.

3. EOTech NOT RELIABLE:
COMPLAINT:
Many guys are afraid to get an EOTech because of the horror stories on the internet. Some of those stories are legit, while others are guys regurgitating what they hear from the same guys. And not to mention that a majority of those complaints are about the older EOTech Models.

SOLUTION:
If you are still worried about the reliability of the EOTechs, just use fixed irons so you can trasition to them in the event that the EOTech craps out. This is particularly true for those of us that are issued EOTechs and have no other choice. If you are given a choice and you are not confident, just get something else.

4. RETICLE TOO BUSY/CLUTTERED:
COMPLAINT:
I often hear many guys complaining that the Circle Dot reticle is too Busy/Cluttered and overpowers the target.

SOLUTION:
Turn the reticle brightness down. It is that simple.

EOTech MODELS:
EOTech XPS Models:
XPS 2-0
XPS 2-1
XPS 2-2
XPS 3-0 (NV Models)
XPS 3-2 (NV Models)

EOTech EXPS Models (7mm base and QD Throw Levers):
EXPS 2-0
EXPS 2-2
EXPS 3-0 (NV Models)
EXPS 3-2 (NV Models)
EXPS 3-4 (NV Models)

CONCLUSION:
To me, the EOTech XPS/EXPS Series are the best EOTechs to date. EOTEchs have been plagued with reliability issues in the past, some of it warranted, and a lot of it overblown, but it appears that EOTech is headed in the right direction with the XPS/EXPS Series.

UPDATE 6-19-2011:
I've been one of the biggest EOTech apologists, but now you can add me to the EOTech hate club. I was at the range and my EOTech EXPS 2-0 just cut out. After a few seconds, I was able to turn it back on. This is on a training gun, so it isn't that big of a deal, but my faith in EOTech is gone. I thought the XPS/EXPS was going to be the savior. I was wrong. I'll stick to my TA33 and I may check out the T-1's one of these years.

Paulo_Santos
15 March 2011, 17:57
PICTURES: