PDA

View Full Version : Front and Rear MBUS-Magpul Back-Up Sight-Gen 2 Review

Paulo_Santos
17 March 2011, 15:28
Please post comments here (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?3085-Front-and-Rear-MBUS-Magpul-Back-Up-Sight-Gen-2-Review&p=28741#post28741).

INTRO:
This is my review of the Front and Rear MBUS-Magpul Back-Up Sight-Gen 2 (http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/45).

MBUS® - Magpul® Back-Up Sight – Front GEN 2 ($39.95)
DESCRIPTION:
The new MBUS (Magpul Back-Up Sight) GEN 2 is a low-cost, color injection molded, folding back-up sight. The MBUS Front Sight is adjustable for elevation and fits most Picatinny-railed hand guard equipped weapons, but is specifically tailored to the AR15/M16/M4 platform.
Made in U.S.A.

Features

Impact resistant polymer construction provides light weight and resists operational abuse
Spring-loaded flip up sight easily activated from either side or by pressing the top
Detent and spring pressure keeps sight erect but allows for unobstructed folding under impact, etc.
Clamps to most any MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny/STANAG 4694 railed hand guard and provides the same height-over-bore as standard A2 irons
Protective wings shield the spring-locking A2 front sight post
Specifications

MBUS – Front Gen 2

Weight, w/ hardware: 1.2 oz.

Height above rail, stowed: ~0.51 in.

Length, stowed: 2.6 in.

Length, deployed: 1.5 in.

NEW Features for GEN 2

Reduced size for greater optics compatibility
Spring-locking front sight post holds consistent elevation
NOTE: Cannot be mounted to a railed gas block due to excess heat issues.
Front MBUS must be mounted to a railed fore end on the same plane as the receiver rail. Because of this the sight is not compatible with the MOE Hand Guard.

MBUS® - Magpul® Back-Up Sight – Rear GEN 2 ($57.95)
DESCRIPTION:
The new MBUS (Magpul Back-Up Sight) GEN 2 is a low-cost, color injection molded, folding back-up sight. The dual aperture MBUS Rear Sight is adjustable for windage and fits all MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail equipped weapons, but is specifically tailored to the AR15/M16/M4 platform.
Made in U.S.A.

Features

Impact resistant polymer construction provides light weight and resists operational abuse
Spring-loaded flip up sight easily activated from either side or by pressing the top
Detent and spring pressure keeps sight erect but allows for unobstructed folding under impact, etc.
Clamps to any MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny/STANAG 4694 receiver rail and provides the same height-over-bore as standard A2 irons
Protective wings shield the dual flip apertures
Detent knob easily and positively adjusts windage
Specifications

MBUS – Rear Gen 2

Weight, w/ hardware: 1.3 oz.
Height above rail, stowed: ~0.51 in.
Length, stowed: 2.6 in.
Length, deployed: 1.5 in.

NEW Features for GEN 2

Reduced size for greater optics compatibility
Both small and large apertures are on the same plane

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
I recently purchased a set of the Front and Rear MBUS Gen 2 Sights to go on my LMT MRP. The first thing that I noticed was the height. The MBUS Gen 2 are lower than the MBUS Gen 1 and lower than the ARMS #71 Sights. They deploy the same way as the Gen 1, which is via the left or right button/tab, whereas the ARMS #71 has the button on the rear. No real advantage to either one. One of the welcome changes with the MBUS Gen 2 is the use of flathead screws instead of allen screws, which is also on the ARMS #71. It may sound like something simple, but it is an improvement.

MBUS Gen 2 Front:
The MBUS Gen 2 Front has a modified Front Sight Base/Post which is a HUGE improvement over the MBUS Gen 1. It even comes with a Front Sight Adjustment Tool.

MBUS Gen 2 Rear:
The MBUS Gen 2 Rear has a smaller Windage Knob and they switched over to the Same Plane Rear Aperature. Both were also HUGE improvements over the MBUS Gen 1.

CONCLUSION:
Hands down, these are my favorite BUIS on the market. They sit very low and have all of the features that most people want and they cost over half the price of the Iron BUIS on the market. The only negative being that the MBUS GEN 2 Front cannot be mounted on the Railed Gas Blocks.

PICTURES:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/4a981230.jpghttp://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/3301cd64.jpg