PDA

View Full Version : New LMT Piston literature

Cohibra45
23 February 2008, 14:38
Ryan sent me some literature from LMT and I just got it today [:D] !!!

Now I am really jazzed!!! Not only is this a truly good looking system, but, the literature (read advertisement) says "This system can be adapted to mission-specific needs by switching barrel length and caliber. Operators can go from a 10.5-inch barreled 5.56mm CQB carbine to a 16-inch designated Marksman Rifle in less than two minutes."

The pictures and literature has me really smiling and acting like a little kid waiting for Christmas. The new catalog shows barrels for the MRP system and lists 16" and 18" (stainless) 6.8SPC. I really need to find out some speeds/energy/inches dropped charts for the 6.8 110g Hornady VMax. Can anyone help? Is there a lot of difference between the 16 and 18 in velocity/energy/drop?

John, maybe you can scan/post some of the new catalog for everyone else. I don't have the know how/technology to scan and post the pictures of the pages. I also have a new price list (Feb. 1, 2008) if anyone needs to find out the MSRP of their rifles/products.

Take care,

Kelly

BTW, the literature also says "LMT upper receivers (T) markings are laser engraved so that you can see and identify positively in the dark with night vision on." LMT [adore]

Redfisher
23 February 2008, 19:07
That new piston MRP looks awesome. alright.......

It is sure to be a winner for LMT just like the DI version of the MRP has since its' introduction.

I don't think the caliber change is as big a deal as some claim, as most users are multiple AR owners, or at least able to swap uppers in less than a minute. But the MRP's the ability to accommodate an M203, or any conceivable accessory is the trailblazer and standard in monolithic rail design. Add the end-user benefits of the piston operation, and LMT will have a huge success with this new offering.

The LMT products are among the best available at any price - and the MRP is the flagship of their line. Can't wait to see the 12.5" CQB version

John Hwang
23 February 2008, 20:25
12.5 CQB versions are about a year away from what I hear.

Cohibra45
24 February 2008, 06:54
LMT is also making piston conversions for their CQB MRP DI platform if anyone is interested [:D] !!!

On the 6.8 SPC side of the catalog, they talk a little about:

"When standards for modern military rifles were established a century ago, there was an emphasis on accuracy at long ranges (500-1000 meters) and the ability to carry piles of ammunition to be hurled at the enemy. However, it took most of the subsequent century before strategists figured out that most infantrymen used their rifles on targets 100-200 meters away."

They then go on to talk about developing marksmen (US Army) in present day firing single shots more effectively instead of the bursts of auto fire.

"Better sights (a variety of electronic and laser aided devices), plus lots of marksmanship training, have produced infantry units that are a lot more lethal, and a lot less likely to run out of ammo."

"So the time has never been better to develop a new military cartridge. Meet the 6.8 SPC, currently undergoing heavy field testing in the U.S. Army. And now available from LMT."

To me, this is encouraging news, as I was under the impression that both this 6.8 and 6.5 were undergoing testing by the Army...

If the Army does decide to change cartridges/calibers, which it can and has in the past...Just look at history. I will hope for resolution in the near future. Probably won't happen anytime soon, but I can hope. I just would like to see a clear winner between these two rounds. By winner, it has nothing to do with which one is better to whoever, except the Army. Like the fight between the 30-06 and 270 pre WWII for the Garand, I will take the winner here as I'm sure LMT will be making barrels/carrier-bolts for them and hopefully us.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I am really selfish :o in looking for a hunting/paper punching round with more umph than the .223 in the AR platform. Please don't flame me for wanting something that fits my single AR and will work on deer/hogs/sheep etc. I won't be making any extreme long range shots (600yds) except on paper. I just would like to have the ability to change barrels/bolts and have a true multiple weapons platform without buying a complete upper [:)] .

Take care,

Kelly (Cohibra45)

Cohibra45
17 May 2008, 09:07
Just got a call from my dealer/gunsmith here in Fla. yesterday to inform me that the shipping date for the pistons are 6/27.

John, have you heard any different?

I still can't wait and am looking forward to getting a 6.8 SPC version; with the correct chamber/twist barrel of course!!![:D]

Kelly (Cohibra45)

TigerStripe
17 May 2008, 12:15
12.5 CQB versions are about a year away from what I hear.

Barrel or "rail" length?

TS

UDT
17 May 2008, 15:00
Thanks, for the info.

tac40
8 June 2008, 09:24
With regards to the difference between the 16 and 18, I asked Noveske the same question with their 6.8MM bbls. His reply was minimal difference, if I recall, depending on the rd used 50-75 fps loss? Noveske suggested going with the 16" bbl as a good balance of overall use, hunting or defense.
Have you checked out the 68 forum or Ko-tonic website for further info?
Another resource is Dr G Roberts at tactical forums for good 6.8MM info.