PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Colt Match Target info

doubleactiononly
26 March 2011, 22:21
Hello all. I started lurking around here a few days ago. And I was extremely impressed with the layout and handling of the forum. Im usually not a forum user. But the ideas and opinions here seam to go a lot more in depth to the actual concept of use to the firearm and its intended purpose(s) than any other place I have found. The "Explain Your AR 15 Layout" thread is a prime example of what I mean, as the rifle was put together for an actual intended purpose, rather than being just another tacticool Frankenstein to impress the other shooters at the range. There very well may be a dozen other places similar to here, but I found this one first.
So I am very curious about some info on a colt I inherited awhile back. Its a colt Match Target Hbar.
I am trying to find some basic, to hopefully in-depth info on this model. All my research has pointed to the actual model number to be mt6700. But even googling that, I still come up short with any in-depth reviews, tests or info.
I know that the caliber indicated on the barrel is what the rifle is actually chambered for, which is 5.56 in this case. But why would colt stamp the lower as a .223? Also, the YHM a3 upper receiver I replaced the a2 with is a poor color match to say the least. The colt seams to have a greenish tinge, and a smoother parkerization. It doesnt affect how the weapon operates, I know, but still debating putting the a2 back on. I like the standard m16 look. I am just wanting to bring it up to date to accommodate optics, accessories and get the muzzle threaded. Since I basically inherited this piece, it is not my "go to gun", but would like to know it could be, for whatever reason I can not use my primary, or if I require to hand it to a responsible individual in a really bad set of circumstances.
I have enjoyed reading everyone's opinions in this forum. I would really like to hear your "IMHO" or personal experiences, if any. A lot of other places that I have read always seam to dog on Colt's, with the stereotypical "just buying a name", "Can get just as good, with cheaper", or "they dont cater to civvies, so I dont like them" rhetoric. But as I have said, this place seams to really put more function and foresight into the picture, more than most, and definitely before whats "tacticool". So I look forward to any responses I may get. Thanks.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb458/doubleactiononly/colts.jpg
Ar with MkIII Trooper

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb458/doubleactiononly/colt2.jpg
perspective shot of ar

AR-10
27 March 2011, 09:40
Ahhh, the dreaded two-piece pivot pin - if you don't like needing a screwdriver to remove that, KNS makes a push-button pivot pin that works great in lowers that aren't drilled for a standard pivot pin and detent.

Don't pay attention to the markings on the lower, the important number here is the chamber size - yours is 5.56 so you can safely shoot both 5.56 and .223 ammo.

Also, the Colt HBAR barrel in your A2 upper has a 1:9" twist.

As for the Colt bashers, they've probably never even owned a Colt product so you can disregard everything they say.

You won't be seeing any of that around here...

doubleactiononly
27 March 2011, 16:15
I havent changed out the pivot pin because I really didnt see a need to. I never notice it, unless Im having to do a major scrubbing or have the upper in the vise. Plus I wanted to keep everything as much OEM as possible, but still bring it up to date. The only things that arent stock are the upper receiver, handgaurd cap, and the free float tube. Took the hg cap from my stag to replace the triangular one to fit into the fft. I wanted to get the barrel threaded when I first upgraded everything, but ran out of funds. I was going to turn it into a SPR or MPR of sorts, but as I started getting into it, I found I enjoyed the modern day M16 look with the a3 upper and railed 12inch hg a lot.
I know it will shoot .223 just fine, Im just curious of colts reasoning to mark it as one, as I said, it is all stock and came from the factory like that, bbl labeled 5.56 and the receiver stamp .223.
Once I get the money to start my first build from the ground up, Ill probably put the factory a2 receiver back on it. Im looking forward to assembling my own from scratch to suite my needs and intentions. I might turn around and use the colt as the base, idk, maybe if I get it re-parkerized. Not to many custom colts out there.

Eric
3 April 2011, 03:03
Colt sure has done some odd stuff over the years. The .223 vs 5.56 markings...I have no idea why, but as you know it is chambered in 5.56 so firing .223 isn't a problem. As far as the screw style pivot pin, many Colts were shipped with a screw pin, but the lowers are drilled for the proper mil-spec type pivot pins. We swapped out a couple recently during a class and all that is required is a new spring, detent and push pin. The 90's Colts do typically have a lighter color finish than current ones, so it might be a tad more difficult finding a match.

AR-10
3 April 2011, 08:56
I have a very old 6920 (serial number in the 1000's) and it came with a two-piece pivot pin.

My lower does not have a hole for a pivot pin detent or spring.

If I wanted to run a standard push pin style pivot pin, I would have to send my lower out to be drilled.

This must be a common thing with the older Colt receivers because I've seen at least two gunsmiths that offer this service.

I bought the KNS pin and forgot about it.

ETA: picture

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/5619/img1261la.jpg

doubleactiononly
3 April 2011, 14:35
That is exactly how my lower pivot is. This one my father bought back around '97. He got it for open sight match competitions the local NG held. He got it for around $800. But this was around the same time you could find a mac 90 for around $400 and a maadi for $600, even with the ban still in place. It being from my father is the only reason Im a bit hesitant to go to wild with it other than bring it up to date. Its more of an heirloom to me than a "Colt" to safe queen. Plus I already have my battle rifle. I wanted my next one to be a scratch build. But with the resource of funds getting tighter and as my son starts getting older (every young boy in America should have a good AR[:)]), I may just go ahead and set it up for some good solid use.

markm
8 April 2011, 07:15
I wouldn't put KNS ANYTHING in ANY AR..... EVER!!!

I had S.A.W. convert my Ban ERA LE gun to push pin.

Hatter
8 April 2011, 07:31
Mark, is there a reason for the hostility to KNS? Poor prior experience?