PDA

View Full Version : Mid-length with 10" rail?

d.hodgee
3 April 2011, 07:26
I have been looking for a rail for my 14.5 BCM Middy.
If I put a 10" DD lite rail on it... w/ a low pro block.

+Will it completely hide the gas block?
+Or will the gas block hang out a bit?

If anyone has this set up. Middy with a 10" rail please post your pictures... Also how does it balance?

Thanks.

rob_s
3 April 2011, 08:05
If you're using one of the 1" long low-profile gas blocks like the Vltor type (http://www.vltor.com/lpgb.htm) it will cover it completely. If you use a cut-down FSB with two pins or one of the longer blocks designed to cover both pin holes, it will stick out slightly.

TehLlama
3 April 2011, 13:47
It'll poke out the tiniest bit - of very little consequence anyway. If the 10.0 is what you want, it'll cover plenty, and you'll be set.

My 14.5" DD LW Middy wears an 11" VTAC/TRX rail - not exactly the same, but the balance is very, very good

d.hodgee
5 April 2011, 19:06
Interesting. I may go with that or a larue 11". Thanks for the info.

rob_s
6 April 2011, 05:02
I also have a 14.5" mid-length in my safe with a Troy VTAC in the 11.0 length. It's a loaner from BCM with a GI barrel profile and a PWS brake pinned in place. I wouldn't do a pinned device as my first/only AR but a 16" would work just as well. I'd opt for the lightweight barrel profile personally. Since you already have it, you're going to be limited to what rails you can put on without generating major expense/headaches/work for yourself. Assuming, of course, the muzzle devices is pinned on and the rifle is not an SBR.

d.hodgee
7 April 2011, 21:01
I'm not totally sure what I want. I may throw my DD omega on it and do the low pro gas block on my other rifle. Since it will be less work that way.

TehLlama
8 April 2011, 22:01
Once you're already moving around a gas block, might as well make the upper match exactly what you want.
As far as running a 16" barrel - I agree completely, just leave some bulk/weight off the rifle, choose parts smartly (spend money on lightweight parts), and a light 16" carbine feels handier than a heavy 14.5"

exedotbat
14 April 2011, 10:39
16" Midlength with Rainier Gas block, and 10" DD Lite Rail

http://www.aperturenj.com/forsale/DD10.jpg