PDA

View Full Version : Full Barrel Silencers???

zollen
6 April 2011, 15:58
I have been researching the effectiveness of full barrel silencers. A conventional silencer attaches the flash hider at a rear end of the silencer, but a full barrel silencer attaches the flash hider nearly at the front end of a FB silencer, which allow a good portion of AR barrel to be "submerge" inside the silencer. This has a benefit of introducing sound/flash suppressing capabilities without extending an AR barrel significantly.

Back to my questions:
1. Has anyone had any experience with this type of silencers?
2. How effective of its suppressing capability comparing to any conventional silencers?
3. Would this type of silencers affect ballistics?
4. How much are they? Any available models for sale?

todd.k
7 April 2011, 08:49
Look up "reflex" style silencers. There is no way to replace baffles and keep it as quiet, the design is to reduce backpressue for semi autos as I understand it.

TehLlama
8 April 2011, 22:04
Most manufacturers have some sort of Reflex design, some rely almost exclusively on that form factor (OPS Inc.) - the net effect is something no different, if anything there are distinct advantages when using SBR's, or precision weapons (can have more barrel length to improve dwell time in SBRs, easier to get a more consistent attachment for a precision rifle).

Look into the AAC SPR/M4, the SureFire 556FA, the entire OPS Inc 12th or 14/15/16/M4S Line, you'll see some impressive performance, especially since there is less overall length added.
The limitation to suppressor performance is generally volume, so putting some of that volume aft of the muzzle is the reason for it - the reflex design isn't somehow superior in terms of ballistics or attachment, just that some of the can't volume can be behind the muzzle.