PDA

View Full Version : CDDEFENSE

Marinereconsniper
8 April 2011, 16:29
I have a Charles Daly CDD-15, I was wanting to eventualy order a fake silencer but im not sure if the flash hider is removable. I had one company tell me that they were put on with lock tite and another tell me they werent, but it doesnt just snap loose and come off easy, Does anyone know how the flash hider was put on and the best way to remove it....an help would be appreciated.

rob_s
9 April 2011, 03:48
I'm not sure I want to help if the end-goal is a fake silencer but...

People bung up their rifles removing and installing flash hiders ALL THE TIME. You need to have a way to clamp the barrel, not the upper but the barrel, in a vice. I do not believe that CDD made any 14.5" barrels with pinned flash hiders but they might have. Assuming they didn't it's not on there with Locktite or anything else, but heating it up a bit couldn't hut. You just need the right tools for the job is all.

Eric
9 April 2011, 04:27
On the fake silencer thing, so I'll just go to my happy place and not comment.

To properly remove the flash hider, you want to use barrel vise jaws (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12470/Product/AR_15_M16_BARREL_VISE_JAWS), secured in a large vise. I'm fairly certain CDD did not use any type of thread locker, but just installed them with the proper crush washer. Its too bad that they went under, as they had a decent line of rifles started.

Marinereconsniper
10 April 2011, 10:22
Thanks guys I have a Colt CAR- 15, and a RRA M-4 The CDD I bought for my 15 and 13 year old sons. So they watch alot of TV and I told then they could do what they wanted to this rifle and they heard about the fake silencers from a friend, so there ya go, if I had the time and money id love to install a real silencer but i hear its alot of hassel.

TehLlama
10 April 2011, 10:47
There are real and concrete advantages to installing an actual suppressor - the fake ones are just for looks, and simply add weight.
Rob had the right advice - use the right tools, and it's a relatively simple operation.

Stickman
10 April 2011, 11:42
I have a Charles Daly CDD-15, I was wanting to eventualy order a fake silencer but im not sure if the flash hider is removable. I had one company tell me that they were put on with lock tite and another tell me they werent, but it doesnt just snap loose and come off easy, Does anyone know how the flash hider was put on and the best way to remove it....an help would be appreciated.

Post an in focus picture series to include all four sides, and then we may be able to make a guess. Until that point....