PDA

View Full Version : The Gears Begin To Spin: First Major Build

SchattenSchurke
10 April 2011, 06:18
Hello everyone. This is my first post and a technical question to boot. I am planning an hard use upper build that I will eventually turn into a full blown rifle. Price is no object as this project has no definitive end date so I have time to gather parts at my leisure. As for a purpose, a general SHTF, plinking, training, and general use rifle. These are the parts I have decided on so far:

Upper Receiver
-FailZero Extreme Duty Kit #009-FZAR15-03
-Centurion Arms Recce Barrel
-Centurion Arms C4 "Diopter" Iron Sights
-Advanced Armament Brakeout Comp/Flashhider
-Advanced Armament M4-2000 Supressor (eventually, probably last)
-Noveske Switchblock, Clamp-On, 5.56mm, 16" Mid

I am caught between the Centurion Arms C4 Rail, the Daniel Defense AR-15 Lite Rail 10.0, and the Troy Industries MRF-MX 10" Battle rail. I was wondering if the C4 rail system would allow the use of a Noveske Switchblock. Does anyone have any ideas on if it will or other rail options? Any other input is greatly appreciated and accepted.

Paulo_Santos
10 April 2011, 06:42
Check out the Noveske Website for some ideas with their switchblocks. You may also want to check out their uppers with the switchblock already installed. then from there you can add the extra items like the FailZero BCD and AAC M4-2000.

SchattenSchurke
10 April 2011, 06:56
Thanks for the info Paulo. The answer to my question was right in front of me on the Noveske website, I just didn't see it. I will have to use a 9" rail instead of a 10". I had thought about modifying a complete upper, but I want to open a gunsmithing shop later down the road after college, and thought I might try my hand at assembling an upper from parts.

Paulo_Santos
10 April 2011, 07:31
Sounds like a great plan. Don't give up on it.

SchattenSchurke
10 April 2011, 08:06
Will do. Thanks for the support.

Stickman
10 April 2011, 11:37
Sounds like a nice setup.

rob_s
10 April 2011, 12:15
I would need to know your prior experience the platform and your reasons for choosing each part... as I'd assume anyone would in order to give any sort of constructive feedback.

SchattenSchurke
10 April 2011, 12:42
Thanks Stick; by the way, my comparison paper and powerpoint turned out quite well and I will send you a copy of each if you are interested.

Rob, my prior experience with the platform includes assembling a lower receiver, customizing a Del-Ton factory upper assembly, and helping to assemble my dad's upper. As far as shooting, my current AR is chambered in 5.56, but all I have shot out of it is .223 Rem. I have not had the opportunity to attend any training courses to date due to conflicts with classes at college. I do hit the range for plinking and general target practice. I have used my AR for home defense at one point, but there were no shots fired. All in all, my experience is relegated to general use for the moment.

SchattenSchurke
12 September 2011, 11:07
Will the AAC MITER mount have any problems if installed on a lightweight barrel?

goteron
12 September 2011, 14:12
The MITER system is only for the SPR/M4 and SCAR-H, but no, they would not have a problem as they can index off the muzzle end instead of the shoulder.

SchattenSchurke
12 September 2011, 16:27
I decided to change some components since first posting, and the suppressor was one of those items. Thanks for the info.

TehLlama
13 September 2011, 01:07
I'd heavily consider starting out with just the centurion sights and that upper, and a placeholder A2 hider. Keep reading up on cans, actually fire it some, and decide from there what attributes of the can are most relevant to you. I love a 16" precision rifle with a reflex can on it, but at 10# loaded weight (can, mag, optic) it's not the handiest weapon.