PDA

View Full Version : True 100% parallax free sight?

zollen
11 April 2011, 14:51
Is it possible to have a true 100% parallax free sight/scope (regardless of distance)??

1. Mirror#1 to take what the a gunner would see through a view finder
2. Mirror#2 to reflect the image of Mirror#1 back to a gunner eyes
3. Superimposed a red dot on Mirror #2 before reflecting the image back the gunner eyes.

Do you think the above approach would solve the parallax problem regardless of distance?

Paulo_Santos
11 April 2011, 17:07
Even the Aimpoints and EOTechs are really only parallax free after about 45 yards, so I don't know if it is possible.

TehLlama
11 April 2011, 23:36
Nope, still wouldn't, just spread some light, and distort the dot a little bit.

zollen
22 April 2011, 21:09
Here is the conceptual design

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3272/reddotdesign.png

TehLlama
23 April 2011, 10:23
Just manipulate your diagram by pulling the 'eye' label up or down, and you'll see the problem.

It's a simple physical limitation that no optic of that type can be utterly parallax free, but if well made, they can be parallax free at one distance, and negligible parallax beyond that. In practical terms, for any application with a red dot optic, the shooter and ammunition will conspire to lose 10x as much accuracy as a tiny bit of parallax may cause; and in all honesty it's easy to spend time on a couch looking at a wall 8ft away and see some parallax change, but actually using it on an aimpoint, the barrel/optic axes being different, the ballistic trajectory, and the user usually being the weakest part of the equation - three strikes into the 'who cares' category for me.

zollen
23 April 2011, 11:11
I should have pointed out these are mirrors, not lens. The collection of mirrors are used for reflecting what you would see through the viewfinder and back to your eyes.

Just manipulate your diagram by pulling the 'eye' label up or down, and you'll see the problem.

It's a simple physical limitation that no optic of that type can be utterly parallax free, but if well made, they can be parallax free at one distance, and negligible parallax beyond that. In practical terms, for any application with a red dot optic, the shooter and ammunition will conspire to lose 10x as much accuracy as a tiny bit of parallax may cause; and in all honesty it's easy to spend time on a couch looking at a wall 8ft away and see some parallax change, but actually using it on an aimpoint, the barrel/optic axes being different, the ballistic trajectory, and the user usually being the weakest part of the equation - three strikes into the 'who cares' category for me.