PDA

View Full Version : My First AR15. need help!

zollen
12 April 2011, 02:20
This is my very first AR 14.5" build. This build is designed for absolute beginner. I hope price vs performance wise this is a decent build for a beginner. This AR is for range shooting and for a few tactical training courses.

Total: $1066

Stag Arms SBR-T 14.5" Carbine Upper w/ Samson Star-C free-floating quad rail (http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_42&products_id=350) ($750)

PCF C-15 Composite Lower (http://www.gunsamerica.com/988715491/Guns/Rifles/AR-15-Rifles-Small-Manufacturers/Lower-Only/Plumcrazy_Firearms_Complete_C15_Lower.htm) ($128)

Magpul MIAD Grip (Dark Earth) (http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG050/40) ($36)

Magpul CTR Stock (Dark Earth) (http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/83) ($97)

CAA SVG Short Vertical Foregrip (Dark Earth) (http://www.botachtactical.com/tdiforegrip.html) ($15)

ERGO Grid Low Profile Rail Covers (Dark Earth) x 2 (http://www.impactguns.com/store/ergo_gridlowprocovers.html) ($20)

ERGO Ladder Low Profile Rail Covers (Dark Earth) x 2 (http://www.impactguns.com/store/ergo_lowprorailcovers.html) ($20)

rob_s
12 April 2011, 03:59
really? Again?

How many of these threads, on how many forums, are you going to start?

Hmac
12 April 2011, 06:39
Everything looks "good to go" except for the upper receiver group and lower receiver. I'd choose differently.

zollen
12 April 2011, 14:20
really? Again?

How many of these threads, on how many forums, are you going to start?

I was convinced that SBR may not be a good choice for my very first AR. This is why I had to re-think my selection. I decided to go with a decent 14.5" carbine for absolute beginner. I have been learning as much as I could.

zollen
12 April 2011, 14:33
Everything looks "good to go" except for the upper receiver group and lower receiver. I'd choose differently.

any suggestions?

Stickman
12 April 2011, 15:13
That lower is junk, I'm not sure why you are fixated on getting the worst item possible.

Paulo_Santos
12 April 2011, 15:31
Zollen, just get yourself a complete AR and shoot it. If uour getting a Stag, then get a complete one. Practice with your irons for a while and see how you like it and see if you want/need magnification and decide after you get proficient with your irons. Stop worrying about all the gadgets and keep it simple.

zollen
12 April 2011, 15:32
Zollen, just get yourself a complete AR and shoot it. If uour getting a Stag, then get a complete one. Practice with your irons for a while and see how you like it and see if you want/need magnification and decide after you get proficient with your irons. Stop worrying about all the gadgets and keep it simple.

I would agree with you, but I notice that getting a complete rifle is more expensive than building from parts. I am trying to save up some money.

Hmac
12 April 2011, 15:50

Zollen, you are working yourself into a tizzy obsessing over this rifle. You are making it way too hard. The stuggles you are having should be indicative that building a rifle is a bad, bad, bad idea for you.

Take Paulo_Santos' advice.

Hatter
12 April 2011, 15:53
How hard are you looking? A complete basic rifle from Noveske costs $1480.00. I believe a basic rifle from BCM would be even less even though their current backlog is out for a month or two.

You're buying parts which you know nothing about and need to learn how to assemble them in a safe way so as not to hurt yourself or anyone around you. I don't think that is worth $300.00...

zollen
12 April 2011, 16:17
How hard are you looking? A complete basic rifle from Noveske costs $1480.00. I believe a basic rifle from BCM would be even less even though their current backlog is out for a month or two.

You're buying parts which you know nothing about and need to learn how to assemble them in a safe way so as not to hurt yourself or anyone around you. I don't think that is worth $300.00...

Oh no... I am not going to assemble anything. I shall have a local gunsmith to assemble everything for me.

MoxyDave
12 April 2011, 16:40
If you want to save some money, buy complete upper and lower halves separately. You will avoid some taxes and you can pick the parts you want. A complete Spike's lower and an inexpensive DPMS upper will make an excellent rifle and won't break the bank. You don't need a chrome lined barrel, you don't need an optical sight, you don't need fancy widgets, gadgets and doodads. Get a basic gun, buy some ammo and train like you mean it.

Better yet go down to your local gun store, pick up an M&P 15-22 and learn it well before you even put your hands on a 5.56. You'll save money and the training is perfectly valid.

Paulo_Santos
12 April 2011, 16:40
Oh no... I am not going to assemble anything. I shall have a local gunsmith to assemble everything for me.

It will be cheaper in the longrun to just get a complete rifle the way you want it. Save your money and when you are ready, buy it set up with what you want. I'm twice your age and have wasted more money on stupid crap that I care to imagine. I'm sure the others offering advice have gone through the same thing. You came here for advice and everyone is pretty much giving you the same advice.

Hatter
12 April 2011, 16:41
So the money you're saving by buying parts is going to be spent by paying a local gunsmith to assemble...

Spend some more time at the local gunshop learning and handling firearms. Ask them where to start and have a conversation with them when they're not busy. I'm sure they'll be willing to help you and can point you in a much better direction than asking a wide group of individuals their opinions about parts when they have a much wider use (or no use) for those parts.

zollen
12 April 2011, 17:11
It will be cheaper in the longrun to just get a complete rifle the way you want it. Save your money and when you are ready, buy it set up with what you want. I'm twice your age and have wasted more money on stupid crap that I care to imagine. I'm sure the others offering advice have gone through the same thing. You came here for advice and everyone is pretty much giving you the same advice.

It is my turn to waste money on stupid craps!! :) just kidding.

Paulo_Santos
12 April 2011, 18:26
It is my turn to waste money on stupid craps!! :) just kidding.

[BD][BD][BD]

freebug
14 April 2011, 21:31
Here's my first build.

Spike's Lower
DPMS 11.5" Barrel with XM177 welded flash hider
Magpul MOE Stock and Grip
Daniel Defense Fore Grip
EOTech 516/A65/1

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u273/mypigfeet/XM177.jpg

zollen
15 April 2011, 08:45
Interesting! How much is your build? Any good? Is it accurate? How's the recoil, muzzle rise and flash?

Here's my first build.

Spike's Tactical Lower
DPMS 11.5" Barrel with XM177 Flash Hider
Magpul MOE Stock/Grip
Daniel Defense Fore Grip
EOTECH 516/A65/1

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u273/mypigfeet/XM177.jpg

UWone77
16 April 2011, 01:27
I'm just curious why you went with the XM177 Clone flash hider?

AR-10
16 April 2011, 11:54
He needed a long flash hider since he was welding it on to avoid NFA paperwork and a tax stamp - that would be my guess.

freebug
22 April 2011, 23:31
It shoots very well. A bit more recoil due to the short length.

As for the XM177 flash hider, its because it was a 11.5" barrel and the only way to make it legal was to put this on. Originally, it was for a true retro XM177 build but I changed my mind 1/2 way through and it ended up this way. [:D]

The XM177 flash hider is really a flash expander. It doesn't nearly work as well as the newer style flash suppressors. Best that could be done in 1968.

I'm going to swap out the EOTech for the XPS2-0. Saves rail space.

Total cost $850 before the EOTech.

rubsyboy
21 June 2011, 01:10
yup,the stag 2t is very good and accurate.i got 1 for my very first AR.

todd.k
21 June 2011, 08:08
14.5" would be a poor choice if you like to tinker with your setup or don't know what configuration works for you, start with a basic 16" carbine.

john5036
1 July 2011, 09:06
@Freebug: That's a really nice setup you have there. Hopefully by end of year I'll be able to get mine wrapped up.

This is my first post on WE, mostly just been reading and learning on here. Thank you, Mods for keeping relevant stuff out front. :)

EDIT: 2nd post. Oops... either way, my thanks remains!

UrbanPioneer
2 July 2011, 08:38
Zollen, I advise you to go buy a complete black rifle and shoot the hell out of it. You need to be done with this. You have been at this for months.

UWone77
20 July 2011, 21:11
He needed a long flash hider since he was welding it on to avoid NFA paperwork and a tax stamp - that would be my guess.

I get that, but a 16" barrel would make a lot more sense than a 11.5 with a perm piece of metal that serves no purpose.

john5036
21 July 2011, 23:42
I get that, but a 16" barrel would make a lot more sense than a 11.5 with a perm piece of metal that serves no purpose.

Would you explain this, please?

Eric
22 July 2011, 06:58
They have a similar overall length and weight, but the 11.5 w/permanent FH yields a lower velocity and has a louder report/flash.

UWone77
24 July 2011, 02:58
Would you explain this, please?

Eric pretty much nailed it. 11.5 barrel with a pinned fake XM177 flash hider is going to lose a lot of velocity. You're better off with a 16" or a 14.5 w/ perm. If you're simply doing it for looks because you want a XM177 clone, go for it.

lamarbrog
13 August 2011, 15:23
You're wasting money on a lot of junk instead of focusing on getting good core parts.

Get a rifle with a good bolt and a good barrel. 158 Carpenter steel on the bolt, barrel steel compliant with Mil-B-11595-E. Get it chrome lined, and with a 1/7 rifling twist. Make sure your extractor is upgraded, and consider an H or H2 buffer it if doesn't come with it. Get a mil spec diameter receiver extension.

Why not a Spike's Tactical carbine? They've got good specs and are reasonably priced. You're looking at about $900.

Hold off on the furniture for now. There is not a thing wrong with an A2 pistol grip (if you must upgrade, the MOE is simpler and very comfortable). The M4 stock works fine, if you want a rubberized butt pad so it doesn't slip when leaned in a corner, get the MOE for $55. That VFG is probably costing you almost $200 (consider the rails, the covers, and the grip itself)... is it worth $200 to hold your rifle slightly differently? Think about it... would you rather have a VFG or 1000 rounds of ammo?

You're obviously a little tight on money, which is nothing to be ashamed of... most everyone is pinching pennies these days. You need to look at what you're doing... you are wasting money on things which are not going to help you at all. You're basically buying a lawn mower dressed up as a Mustang.

Focus on getting good parts which actually affect how the rifle works, and ignore all this tacticool junk you don't even know if you like or not.

The rifle you propose right now is not going to perform as well as a basic Spike's rifle. It is going to cost you more. And, as a beginner, all the junk is just going to take away from the fundamentals. You are approaching this in as wrong a way as you possibly can.

Edit to add:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/2240.php
Look, dude, for the same price, plus a transfer fee (like $20) you can have a Colt 6920. It's the same thing our military uses, except a slightly longer barrel and a different fire control group. It's top of the line... no plastic lower even.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/750.php
The same style, except from Stag, will cost about $140 less if that interests you. It even has a real aluminum lower, 7075T6 vs. plastic.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/753.php
Check that out, longer sight radius if you plan to use iron sights. Personally I'm quite fond of the look and feel of a 20" rifle with the fixed stock. Good enough for our Marines, it's good enough for you and me.

There are a lot of options out there that are better, and cost less money... I don't mean to insult you, but don't be stupid. You are wasting hundreds of dollars and sacrificing quality just for appearances and nothing more.