PDA

View Full Version : Seekins Gen2 SP223 Lower - Ambi

Hatter
27 April 2011, 08:02
The new Gen 2 Seekins Billet lower features the Ambi bolt release. It also lists that it has a captive detent spring to retain the rear takedown pin.

Rainier's website notes that "Because of the rear take down captive screw, the detent spring will need to be trimmed down."

I find this slightly confusing because I was expecting the detent pin and spring to come installed. I'm not following the comment about the screw and trimming the spring.

Can anyone explain this a little better and possibly include a picture?

Thanks!

Stickman
27 April 2011, 13:53
I've got nothing on this one....

TripleBravo
27 April 2011, 15:16
Like the lower that Seekins makes for Spike's Tactical, his Gen2 lower moves the takedown detent and spring hole to under the pistol grip. The hole is threaded and a small allen head set screw is provided. The set screw allows you to "capture" the spring once you install the detent and spring...

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/Seekins%20Precision%20Gen2%20Lower/TakedownSpringDemo01.jpg

Because it has moved to a new location, the channel for the spring and detent is slightly shorter than a standard lower. I did a quick measurement and photo to illustrate, but don't quote my measurements...they may be off a few hundredths of an inch...

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/Seekins%20Precision%20Gen2%20Lower/TakedownSpringDemo02.jpg

As a result, you must take a bit off of the spring that comes in whatever lower parts kit you decide to use. The lower does not come with the detent and spring already installed.

sdoperator
27 April 2011, 15:47
As a result, you must take a bit off of the spring that comes in whatever lower parts kit you decide to use. The lower does not come with the detent and spring already installed.
I came here to say this, but I had no idea the detent and spring go down by the pistol grip. Even if it was left in the same place (you can do it yourself or some other lowers come like this) you'd have to cut the spring anyway to make up for the added "length" of the screw.

Hatter
1 May 2011, 14:13
Terrific! Thank you for that fantastic reply.