PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea...need Stickman help!

Keebsley
1 May 2011, 12:33
So...while sitting at work and perusing Stick's pictures, I came across his picture of the Noveske Pig recessed slightly into a DD M4 rail.

I was also perusing DD's website and have always been a fan of their 12" FSP rail so I can place a Surefire X300 at 12 o'clock. Now the question is and hopefully Stick can provide a nice example but I was curious as to what a 11.5" barrel with DD's M4 12" FSP rail with a Noveske pig recessed inside of it would look like?

TripleBravo
1 May 2011, 12:56
Would you call it....wait for it.....A PIG IN A BLANKET?

Keebsley
1 May 2011, 13:07
That's better than my idea for HSGI to make a chest rig or a trip shingle and call it the, "Taco Platter". [:D]

lmtrocks
1 May 2011, 19:24
Simple mockup---you're onto something it appears [:D]

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn346/gunguyshots/misc/myweapon.jpg

sdoperator
2 May 2011, 12:14
That's better than my idea for HSGI to make a chest rig or a trip shingle and call it the, "Taco Platter". [:D]
Hahahaha!

Keebsley
4 May 2011, 17:44
I may be onto something but until I see something other than a computerized mock-up....

My question is: does anyone see any negatives to this setup besides length? I know if I want to have a can in the future, things would have to change but I am just looking into this initial setup as the honeymoon phase of my first SBR has worn off and I want something new. :D

Comments/pluses/minuses/etc...let's hear 'em.

oregonshooter
4 May 2011, 18:41
There is no room inside the rail for the diameter of the PIG if my memory is correct.

rob_s
4 May 2011, 19:07
There is no room inside the rail for the diameter of the PIG if my memory is correct.

The OD of the pig is ~1.38" and the ID of the M4 rail is 1.45"

oregonshooter
4 May 2011, 19:27
Thanks rob for the correction. I knew it was close. Would .007" or .0035" on each side not conduct heat to the rail and the light mounted above it?

rob_s
5 May 2011, 06:04
That I don't know. I can't speak to whether or not it's a good idea, just the mechanics of whether or not it would physically fit. But with my experience with the X300 heat has not been something I've been overly concerned with.

Hatter
5 May 2011, 07:20
Did you happen to check out Page 5 of the NFA Picture Thread? (Sorry I don't know how to copy pictures from thread to thread)

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1031-NFA-Picture-Thread/page5

Stick posted an SBR with recessed pig although it doesn't have the exact same rail it may be a help to what you're looking for.

Stickman
5 May 2011, 19:11
I would go with the longer rail and a folding sight, that way I could run it either way. I don't have any DD FSB setups currently with the exception of one RIS II, and the KX3 won't fit in that.

rob_s
6 May 2011, 04:28
Something else I thought of just now...

There may actually be some benefit to having the pig and the light mounted that way, and that is a lack of carbon buildup on the lens of the light. Most people that have spent any time at all shooting white lights mounted to firearms will experience some amount of carbon buildup on the lens. Brakes and similar make this situation much, much worse. However since the pig is designed to throw all that shit forward you may find a reduction in the carbon buildup. Can't say for sure, but it might work.

I have a light that I used on a Glock 19 for 2k+ rounds and the lens was so black it was virtually unusable. That's why I now train with X200s mounted and keep X300s for bedside and carry.