PDA

View Full Version : Lower Parts Kits vs Individual Parts

Hatter
3 May 2011, 07:03
I'm looking to start planning my next build. My process usually involves listing all the parts that I want based on the rifles need and then procuring them as I find them in-stock or as my funds permit. Part of this is because I'm an OCD engineer but that's beside the point.

My question revolves around the lower parts kit. I'll be using the Seekins Gen2 lower, probably a Geissele trigger group, KNS pins, MIAD grip, and Norgon ambi mag release. Am I correct in assuming that my best cost effective way to build the lower will be to order the remaining individual parts from Riflegear or another supplier? All I really need are the takedown pins, detents and springs. I can't imagine that buying even a limited LPK for these very few components would be worth it.

ETA: BAD Ambi selector as well

I'd also appreciate any opinions on where to buy these few small parts. Riflegear is the only supplier I'm familiar with for individual parts. (I also need some back up parts such as gas rings, pins and some springs)

Thanks for your information and opinions!

AR-10
3 May 2011, 08:36
Sounds like individual parts would suit you best in this case.

I buy my lower parts from Specialized Armament, they sell Colt parts and that's all I will ever put in any of my builds.

You will pay a little more, but I've never had an issue or a breakage with Colt lower parts - I can't say the same about other manufacturers.

I believe Brownell's might carry Colt lower parts too, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

TripleBravo
3 May 2011, 12:41
Check Brownells and Midway USA for the parts you need. I agree that buying the parts individually will probably be your most cost effective option.

Hatter
3 May 2011, 17:24
I ordered direct from Rock River Arms. All the parts I need for the build and all of my extra parts (rings, pins, etc) for $30.00 with free shipping. Perfect!

I can't bring myself to justify the cost of Colt parts. With several thousand rounds through multiple rifles I've never had a failure with LMT or RRA parts. I don't know I didn't think of RRA sooner for single parts.

AR-10
3 May 2011, 18:34
Forgot to mention this place:

http://www.sherluk.com/m16i.php

Not sure where they get their parts from, but I bought an A1 grip from them like a year ago and was happy with the price and product.

Striker071
10 May 2011, 13:13
dont bother with the KNS pins if you get a geisselle. They want you to use the pins provided. If you have a problem with your trigger they may not cover it.

Uglyduck
10 May 2011, 14:09
Check out The Citizens Armory (http://www.thecitizensarmory.com/catalog/10). They have most individual parts and only charge cents for shipping, its a great way to get the individual parts you need.

Larrys1911
15 May 2011, 20:22
Small parts are where I always raise the price of my build.

I buy from RRA &/or Brownells. The increase in price is that I always buy double what I need in pins and springs.....
Just got threw ordering for a lower from RRA and spend $65 the biggest ticket Item I bought was a safety..

Thanks for the other links everyone.... now at least I have more places to look.

Larry

Toyoland66
28 May 2011, 14:54
check out G&R, they have a basic LPK. Sell the LMT selector it comes with.

or colt small parts kit from Brownells (comes with mag release and trigger guard which you wont need)
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26508/avs|Manufacturer_1=COLT/Product/AR_15_RIFLE_ACCESSORIES_KIT