PDA

View Full Version : Why not just buy a Colt?

P7rancher
26 February 2008, 17:48
I am not sure that I can afford any of the Noveske guns other that the Basic.

So here is my question: What do I gain ,if anything, by buying the Noveske Basic rather that a Colt LE6920? I have also looked at the LMT and Sabre Defense so I guess the same question applies to these as well.

My brother in law thinks I am crazy for not just buying the Colt particularly if I ever decide to sell.

Your thoughts?:confused:

P7rancher

sonrider657
26 February 2008, 18:27
Oh please don't let this turn into another Colt Koolaid forum. :(

Schwome
26 February 2008, 19:23
Oh please don't let this turn into another Colt Koolaid forum. :(

I agree, your best bet would be to try arfcom, from what I here you cannot go wrong with either of them. I personally have a Bushy, and it works great for me. From what I can see; Colt makes a great product, but it seems more of a status symbol anymore.;)

26 February 2008, 19:48
To answer the OP's question, the Noveske's N4 barrel is built to be tougher and to last longer, so, I'd pick the N4 Basic over the Colt 6920, just for that reason alone. Keep in mind that I have no head-to-head data to back it up. But, I do own a N4 LoPro and really love it.

Stickman
27 February 2008, 00:15
So here is my question: What do I gain ,if anything, by buying the Noveske Basic rather that a Colt LE6920?
P7rancher

Depending on what you want to do, you may gain a lot, or you may gain a little.

Lets go ahead and point out that the 6920 is a very good carbine, and you would no doubt be well served by one. However, thats not really the question you are posting.

We can start the gain column in favor of Noveske by looking at the barrel. Colt makes a great barrel, but the Noveske N4 barrel is built of a higher quality, and longer lasting material. Its not simply that it uses double the standard thickness of chrome, its also a matter of barrel materials used, and the high level of accuracy gotten from the N4 barrel.

Moving down the barrel, we get to the upper receiver, and the Noveske gets another notch in the gain column by adding a Troy folding rear sight, which can be used as a standard iron sight if it makes you happy. Colt supplies you with the standard carrying handle, which means that when you add an optic, you will be looking to spend another $100 on a back up iron sight that the Noveske came with.

The pistol grip on the Colt comes with the standard A2 pistol grip, and in the eyes of many people, the Tango Down grip which the Noveske comes with is a big step forward. Its not a big gain in the Noveske column, but its still an improvement in the eyes of many.

The last thing that most people will see as a big deal is the Vltor stock that comes with the Noveske. The Vltor Modstock is a very comfortable stock, and its offers a greatly enhanced cheekweld for the shooter. It also gives battery storage compartments, and a built in QD mount for a sling. This is a big enough difference that the Vltor stock that Noveske uses has its own line number for the MIL, and units can make direct purchases.

Other benefits of the Noveske are included in the Noveske Carbine review that we did here. It may be worth reading if you are in the market.

I'll close with my own opinion based off owning and using both Colts and Noveske N4s. Colt makes an outstanding weapon, and I think that John Noveske understood that when he created his specs for his carbine. I also think that Colt sets the standard that most others seek to meet. In the case of the N4 carbines, they do not meet the standard of Colt, they exceed it.

Both are carbines that will out do most shooters.

P7rancher
27 February 2008, 06:41
This is a big enough difference that the Vltor stock that Noveske uses has its own line number for the MIL, and units can make direct purchase.
Stickman, can you explain?

12131, are you happy with the non-VIS rail system and do you know who makes this rail? What is the trigger like?

To both replies, are the Noveske carbines capable of shooting one MOA with the trigger that comes standard?

Can a muzzle brake or compensator be used to meet the 16 inch barrel length requirement or do you have to use a flash hider to accomplish this requirement?

Thank you for your help![:)]
P7rancher

Stickman
27 February 2008, 08:52
Stickman, can you explain?

12131, are you happy with the non-VIS rail system and do you know who makes this rail? What is the trigger like?

To both replies, are the Noveske carbines capable of shooting one MOA with the trigger that comes standard?

Can a muzzle brake or compensator be used to meet the 16 inch barrel length requirement or do you have to use a flash hider to accomplish this requirement?

Thank you for your help![:)]
P7rancher

The non-VIS rail is produced by SWS for Noveske, is slim, and locks up solid.

The carbines are capable of shooting MOA for those people that are capable of producing those groups. Most people don't use the ammo, or have the skill needed.

The trigger is a similar to the trigger on the M16, but obviously lacking full auto. If you want a match trigger, get a match trigger. The N4 comes with a combat/ standard trigger.

The Noveske N4 comes with a 14.5" barrel, and you have a few different options as to what muzzle device is used to bring it out to 16". The weapon comes with the device already pinned in place, it isn't something extra that needs to be done.

I'm not sure what sort of explanation you are looking for with the stock. Take a look at the stock guide to see pictures and differences between the various stocks, it may answer your questions.

27 February 2008, 09:04
Exactly what Stick said. And I'm one of those who don't use the ammo and don't have the skill needed.[BD] And the SWS rail is about as solid as you can get without going VIS os MRP.

NvrenufRR
27 February 2008, 11:09
Id Buy a COLT to own a COLT, BUt IMO, The Noveske is a better platform.

COLT is just a name, a High quality name, but Nonetheless, a name.
You can get better quality with the same reliabilty from another manufacturer who tailors to civvies, go for it, buy a COLT later and make it a safe queen.

P7rancher
27 February 2008, 15:10
Stick
I was confused over what you meant by line number for the Mil. I assume you mean this is a popular stock for the Mil. (military) or approved for their use, correct?

Thanks to all for your replies.

One last question for now: Is the rumored mid-length gas system worth waiting for in the N4? I know this feature is available in the rifle series but I have read a number of forum comments about the benefits of a mid-length system over the carbine length system.

Regards,
P7rancher[:)]

Stickman
27 February 2008, 16:36
P7rancher,

The stock has a NSN, and that allows the units to order it as an approved item. It is not a popular stock in the military, but that it was granted that status says quite a bit about it.

A midlength gas system is nice, but most LE, and every carbine in the military are all carbine length, and it seems to work out nicely for all of us.

Talyn
27 February 2008, 21:08
Has Colt reverted back to a standard lower without the FCG block & correct sized pins yet?

Stickman
28 February 2008, 05:21
The block is gone, the FCG pins remain different than others.

John Hwang
28 February 2008, 09:05
For all practical purposes, Sabre, LMT, Colt & N4 are all top-self, high end AR15s and you can't go wrong with any one of them.

The main differences being a Noveske is a smaller boutique company that caters to the high end AR15 market and offers components not found in standard off-the-shelf AR15s; like a hammer forged barrel, Troy BUIS, VLTOR Stock & TD Grip.

TalonArms_R
11 March 2008, 20:48
I'll echo what John said above me. Any carbine you buy will work as well as you do. At the end of the day, it is just a tool. It will work or it won't. It's what YOU do that makes the difference.

Don't overlook one of the most important aspects of your purchase. Your dealer! Make sure you choose someone you can communicate well with and understands your needs and how to fill them. Finding a good dealer is like finding a good girlfriend. They will both know how to keep you happy. :P

http://www.talonarms.com

Hellraiser
15 March 2008, 12:29
I don't post often... but threads such as this... is why I am here. Learned a lot of good info since I been here.

^..^

Hojutsu
5 April 2008, 19:30
What Stickman said

Colt makes a great gun, especially the LE guns. but another thing you gain with Noveske over Colt is standardized parts sizes. No colt funky pin sizes, sear blocks and odd ball bolt carriers