PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how long this mount is? Or could link me an AR optic mount atleast 7.5 inches long?

xdmp22
5 May 2011, 23:12
I was wondering if anyone had the Millet M4 Extended Picatinny-Style Riser AR-15 Flattop Mount. The part number is RI00003.

here is a link from midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=610083&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Optics%20-%20Scope%20Rings%2C%20Bases%2C%20Mounting%20%26%20 Accessories-_-PriceCompListing-_-610083

I need to know how long the top rail section is.

or a link to a similar mount that is atleast 7.5" long.

Thanks in advance

Quib
6 May 2011, 03:43
Unless someone has some hard dimensions for you, to get a general idea based off that photo, you could always count the rail slots and do the math. That should at least get you a ballpark figure to work with.

xdmp22
6 May 2011, 07:29
Unless someone has some hard dimensions for you, to get a general idea based off that photo, you could always count the rail slots and do the math. That should at least get you a ballpark figure to work with.

Yeah, after I realized last night new threads had to be approved by mods, I thought about that.

Each male section is .190 thick on a few rail sections I have here @ the house, the females I did not measure, but the should be slighty larger.

There is 19 males and 19 females.

If all dimensions were .190, then it would be just shy of 7.5, so with the added few thousandths (sp?) of all 19 females, it just might work.

I will wait for my optics and mounts to come in and get a final layout measurment.

In the meantime, if someone has one an can measure to back me up, that would be great.

Again, Quib, your assitance has been great.

Quib
6 May 2011, 07:59
Always glad to help where possible.

I have some rail specs posted in the thread below, if those might help.

http://http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?3031-MIDWEST-INDUSTRIES-Carbine-Length-Gen-2-Two-Piece-Handguard (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?3031-MIDWEST-INDUSTRIES-Carbine-Length-Gen-2-Two-Piece-Handguard)

xdmp22
8 May 2011, 16:22
Well, I went ahead and ordered the millet mount. Hopefully it will work out.

If not, oh well, it can get added to the pile.

Its never a true AR build unless you have parts left over....right?

Optimus Prime
8 May 2011, 16:52
That's just how you start the next one...

xdmp22
8 May 2011, 17:57
That's just how you start the next one...

Yeah......I have an extra palmetto armony stripped lower, but I think I want to go pistol with it, or SBR.........pistol probably to avoid the NFA stuff

Extra AR parts are not a burden, they will find a home.

rob_s
9 May 2011, 06:02
.394" center-to-center, valleys or peaks. Or for that matter, edge to edge. Either way, each number means .394" of rail. I come up with ~7.88" of overall length for the product linked-to, but obviously that last peak is longer (which I took into account for overall length) and shorts you one slot.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Picantinny-recoilgroove-diagram.gif

xdmp22
9 May 2011, 21:41
.394" center-to-center, valleys or peaks. Or for that matter, edge to edge. Either way, each number means .394" of rail. I come up with ~7.88" of overall length for the product linked-to, but obviously that last peak is longer (which I took into account for overall length) and shorts you one slot.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Picantinny-recoilgroove-diagram.gif

thats great info, My calculations came up to 7.52 without the added last peek so with your math and my math, its looking promising

thanks for the pic, its good reference material

Rootshot
10 May 2011, 20:16
I have this mount. It is exactly 8" long. Well built but made in China. I removed the polymer inserts in the bolts - these make it difficult for easy on-off.

--Rootshot

xdmp22
10 May 2011, 22:10
I have this mount. It is exactly 8" long. Well built but made in China. I removed the polymer inserts in the bolts - these make it difficult for easy on-off.

--Rootshot

Great! Thank You, now I don't have to be so nervous waiting for it to show up from midway later this week.

Polymer inserts? Are they over the shaft that fit in the valleys of the pic rail?

Thanks again!

Rootshot
10 May 2011, 23:11
Great! Thank You, now I don't have to be so nervous waiting for it to show up from midway later this week.

Polymer inserts? Are they over the shaft that fit in the valleys of the pic rail?

Thanks again!

They are inserted into the hollow of the nut that fastens tot he cross-bars facing the rail. When I first put the rail on, I torqued the nuts to 65in-lbs. This distorted the polymer insert and made it very difficult to remove the rail After taking them out, I just inserted a locking washer of the right size. Problem solved.

If you don't torque it down as much as I did, the polymer inserts may not pose any issues.

--Rootshot

xdmp22
10 May 2011, 23:26
They are inserted into the hollow of the nut that fastens tot he cross-bars facing the rail. When I first put the rail on, I torqued the nuts to 65in-lbs. This distorted the polymer insert and made it very difficult to remove the rail After taking them out, I just inserted a locking washer of the right size. Problem solved.

If you don't torque it down as much as I did, the polymer inserts may not pose any issues.

--Rootshot

Ahhh, that makes sense. At first I thought you meant they become a spacer on the diameter of the pins to make the fit tighter inside the valley's of the rail sections.

Thanks for the added description. I am anxiously awaiting my parts.

Waiting sucks.........lol

xdmp22
12 May 2011, 22:43
I got the mount today, still waiting on my other parts, but the mount is indeed 8 inches long.

Mount seems well made for the money. Machine works seems good with only a few machining marks, all of which hide easily under the black coating.

It mounted up to my M4 upper very tightly, which seems like a plus.

Rootshot
13 May 2011, 09:27
I'm not sure if you are using Backup Iron Sights with this rail. I decided to keep my BUIS on the upper receiver and move the rail forward to accomodate the rear sight. This works, but if you have a handguard with the standard delta ring, the rail will hit the top of the delta ring when moved forward and not seat properly. 10 minutes with a file to take off about 1/16" and a little black paint solved that.

I feel much better filing away at a Chinese made rail than a nicely anodized precision US made part.

On an unrelated note, I also have a American Defense MFG AD-Recon QD scope mount. It's a work of art. Well worth the money.

--Rootshot

Rootshot
13 May 2011, 09:37
I'm not sure if you are using Backup Iron Sights with this rail. I decided to keep my BUIS on the upper receiver and move the rail forward to accommodate the rear sight. This works, but if you have a handguard with the standard delta ring, the rail will hit the top of the delta ring when moved forward and not seat properly. 10 minutes with a file to take off about 1/16" and a little black paint solved that.

I feel much better filing away at a Chinese made rail than a nicely anodized precision US made part.

On an unrelated note, I also have a American Defense MFG AD-Recon QD scope mount. It's a work of art. Well worth the money.

--Rootshot

xdmp22
13 May 2011, 09:54
I'm not sure if you are using Backup Iron Sights with this rail. I decided to keep my BUIS on the upper receiver and move the rail forward to accommodate the rear sight. This works, but if you have a handguard with the standard delta ring, the rail will hit the top of the delta ring when moved forward and not seat properly. 10 minutes with a file to take off about 1/16" and a little black paint solved that.

--Rootshot

Yeah, I do not have BIUS sights yet, but had the same idea you mentioned above in case I do add them.

I have an aluminum free float hand guard that I custom machined to accept rail sections to mount my AFG2 and surefire light, so clearance shouldn't be an issue, but as you posted, a little filing and that takes care of any clearance issues.

I do like the AD mount, just trying to stay on a budget right now, especially since Lucid just came out with a Flip Tto side mount and a 2x -5x variable mag. (There's an other 400 dollars I need....lol)