PDA

View Full Version : kit quality?

navdocret
14 May 2011, 17:59
I plan to build an M-4 style AR-15 for my son but am unsure as to what is currently available and levels of quality. If I understand him correctly(the "younger" generation not being as articulate as us older folks), he prefers the 16" length barrel and will be using the weapon for recreational shooting and home defense.I don't anticipate him entering carbine type courses which would necessitate a higher quality system. I last built an AR from a kit in the late 90's using a model 1 components without any issues. Additionally, he would prefer to keep the price below $750. Any suggestions and help would be very much appreciated.

Stubb
15 May 2011, 08:24
You can get an AR-15 out the door for under $750, and it sounds like you have realistic expectations about what you'll be getting at that price point. My main recommendations would be to get a chrome-lined barrel and install an extractor spring upgrade (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?373-Extractor-Spring-Upgrade). These items will greatly help with reliability, particularly when running cheap steel-cased ammo. If you think that he may at some point want to install an optical sight, go with an A3 flat-top upper and install a detachable carry handle for starters.

—Andreas

TehLlama
19 May 2011, 19:53
If cheap and cheery is what you're after, the CMMG bargain bin is usually a pretty good place to look first. One of those with an A3 upper, a DD fixed rear sight, a batch of magazines, and a decent sling will be more than adequate.

If building is the goal, and more use is forseen, a Spike's M4LE upper, any stripped lower, a good LPK (CMT, G&R, DD, LMT), and picking up a good used mil-spec stock kit would be a great start.