PDA

View Full Version : Furniture Color

chazthebiker
15 May 2011, 15:11
Due to the economy and the necessity of having to follow the jobs wherever they go, I have had to relocate to Mesquite, Nevada from Florida. I have two complete AR15 rifles: One is 5.56mm the other is 6.8mm SPC. Both have OD Green furniture.

From what I can tell, OD Green isn't so bad in the desert. In fact, a lot of the plant life is very close to that color. This brings me to the dilema; My third and final (yeah right) rifle's furniture color.

For you men who live in the desert, what do you think of OD Green vs. FDE? I know I can mix and match XTM panel colors... and I already do that. Just wondering about the stock and grip. Already have two UBR stocks in OD Green. Thought about getting an FDE UBR and mixing the parts around with an OD UBR. Even a little of Larue's UDE might work well.

In most pictures I see, the FDE looks real light colored. I have seen a darker brown (coyote?) but magpul doesn't offer it. Also, for you men in Utah, wouldn't it be great to have Utah red parts too?

So, OD vs. FDE... what would you do? Can you show me examples? Apparently I am not allowed to post pics here so have not done so. Every time I try it says I am not authorised.

Thanks!

Uglyduck
15 May 2011, 17:04
In most pictures I see, the FDE looks real light colored. I have seen a darker brown (coyote?) but magpul doesn't offer it.

Take a look at this giant DIY RIT Dye (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=680609&highlight=patriot#post680609) thread on M4C. The link takes you to an example of Patriot Brown (Cerakote/Gear Sector) which may be a what you're thinking of (or Tango Down's dark earth). The thread includes formulas to get desired results as well, pretty useful for some custom colors or patterns.

chazthebiker
15 May 2011, 19:19
Mitch that is extremely helpful. I had no idea. Very useful information. Thanks man!

Eric
15 May 2011, 20:46
Apparently I am not allowed to post pics here so have not done so.
The best method is to use a free photo hosting service like www.photobucket.com.

Quib
16 May 2011, 03:50
As Eric said, Photobucket, or another option which a few of us use, is Flickr. Chaz, if you need assistance with posting pics after you set up a photo account, shoot me an IM.

Quib

sdoperator
16 May 2011, 12:15
So, OD vs. FDE... what would you do?

Both! Foliage ;) Makes sense for a lot of environments.

Also, it's not "Utah Red" but Larue makes some bright red furniture, hahaha. Index clips come in red, white and blue in addition to their regular line up.

Aragorn
16 May 2011, 17:40
LaRue's UDE is about the color of mostly dried cement. It would be good for urban, but I think less so than either OD or FDE in the desert.

Utah red.... that would also be very appropriate here in Oklahoma.

chazthebiker
17 May 2011, 18:16
Yeah, that "Utah Red" might be useful in a lot of regions. LOL

chazthebiker
17 May 2011, 18:18
Both! Foliage ;) Makes sense for a lot of environments.

Also, it's not "Utah Red" but Larue makes some bright red furniture, hahaha. Index clips come in red, white and blue in addition to their regular line up.

Had no idea Larue offered the bright red. I may be headed up near Auburn, Washington in 2 or 3 weeks and will stop in at Rainier to check out the Foliage XTM Panels.

chazthebiker
17 May 2011, 18:31
Wow! Got the avatar to work!

chazthebiker
17 May 2011, 18:39
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/chazthebiker/Weapons/Copyofrifle1.jpg

Wow! After all this time I got it to work! DUH!

This is my first assembly. The Larue handguard is no longer on this rifle because it did not fit the Mega Billett upper / lower combo. I ended up going to the Mega Monolithic Upper, below.

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/chazthebiker/Weapons/MegaMonolithic1.jpg