PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat T.R.I.M.

TripleBravo
15 May 2011, 19:50
The full review is up here: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?3182-Wilson-Combat-T.R.I.M.-Review&p=29851#post29851

Please post any questions or discussion in this thread.

Quib
16 May 2011, 03:51
Awesome work TB!

oregonshooter
16 May 2011, 19:06
Nice review!

Did I miss the ID measurement?

TripleBravo
16 May 2011, 23:32
Nice review!

Did I miss the ID measurement?

In the first post of the review and taken from Wilson Combat's website:

A generous inside diameter of 1.47"...

Aragorn
27 August 2011, 13:39
I've been on a rail hunt for my next build for some time now. I prefer the feel of a tube style forend, but likely will not ever get one because I prefer to be able to mount some sort of rail cover to protect me from heat transfer. In studying Rob's chart I noticed that this forend has a height of 2.15" and a width of 1.88" WITH rail sections installed. That compares VERY well against the Rainier Evolution rail with it's measurements of 2.14" and 1.80"

Of course, adding these sections of rail adds weight. The longest rail section Wilson Combat sells is only 2.75" long and weighs .7 oz. Not much, but by the time you've added enough to start installing rail panels you've added enough weight that now this lightweight forend is up there with some of the heavier rails. It also doesn't help that these rail sections cost as much as $13.00 - $19.00 apiece and you would need several per side.

While stewing on this it occurred to me that there was no real reason I couldn't just screw/bolt some magpul XT panels directly into the forend using the screw holes already provided. That would give me a profile that essentially mirrors a tube forend, only I would have my protection from heat transfer. I figure a couple screws in the back and one in front of where I grip ought to hold the panels solidly enough in place, and then there wouldn't be any screws under my palms to get hot that way either. Has anyone else thought about or already tried this?

Rodman24
27 August 2011, 15:00
While stewing on this it occurred to me that there was no real reason I couldn't just screw/bolt some magpul XT panels directly into the forend using the screw holes already provided. That would give me a profile that essentially mirrors a tube forend, only I would have my protection from heat transfer. I figure a couple screws in the back and one in front of where I grip ought to hold the panels solidly enough in place, and then there wouldn't be any screws under my palms to get hot that way either. Has anyone else thought about or already tried this?

LaRue Grip Adapter Panels (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=533) look like a similar concept.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/IMG_4074.JPG

Aragorn
29 August 2011, 14:07
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I'm willing to bet those screws wouldn't fit the TRIM though, but for $8 I think I could afford to give it a shot.

Provided I already had the rail.

Ryo
1 September 2011, 01:36
That's not a bad idea.. might try it one of these days to see if my panels have enough clearance to recess the screw and not break off. The handguard is pretty nice, and light, though I believe my KAC LW URX rails are slightly lighter. If your planning to run suppressed, I do recommend getting panels with this rail since after 3 mag dumps, it got uncomfortable hot in the hand. Gloves it probably would have been just fine.

edit: I forgot to mention the one thing I didn't like about the rail attachments was that the screw location where you attach the rail, that slot become practically unusable due to the screw perturding out. I suppose it's the price you pay if you want the rails to be shallow. However they do offset that screw location on the rail so you can reverse it in case it does get in the way of where you want to mount it.. of course that effects the position it attaches on the rail.

Here's a photo of my custom build using a SR-15 IWS upper, Wilson Combat TRIM and Noveske Swtichblock.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/KAC%20Wilson%20Combat%20Noveske%20SB/IMG_7447mod3.jpg

NickDrak
8 October 2011, 23:03
Any more feedback on this handguard from those who have had the opportunity to run it for a while?

Ryo
10 October 2011, 09:16
So far it's been running fine, though I haven't got a chance to run it hard. Mostly it's been only at the range. It's a nice handguard, but it can get a bit hot if your shooting a lot of rounds through it.

NickDrak
25 October 2011, 01:42
Any idea if any of the KAC URXIII or LaRue PredatAR handstops will attach directly to the T.R.I.M. (without the use of the accessory rails)?

Ryo
25 October 2011, 12:25
Any idea if any of the KAC URXIII or LaRue PredatAR handstops will attach directly to the T.R.I.M. (without the use of the accessory rails)?

The screw hole sizes on the TRIM is different than the one on the LW URX handstop screws (which I would assume would be the same screw hole as the URX III). The TRIM screw holes are bigger if I recall. Not sure of the size since I didn't measure it yet. It's not to say that you can't modify the handstop to make it work. Probably could. If I remember, maybe I can take a look.

Can't say about the LaRue HS since I don't have one.

NickDrak
28 October 2011, 20:20
The screw hole sizes on the TRIM is different than the one on the LW URX handstop screws (which I would assume would be the same screw hole as the URX III). The TRIM screw holes are bigger if I recall. Not sure of the size since I didn't measure it yet. It's not to say that you can't modify the handstop to make it work. Probably could. If I remember, maybe I can take a look.

Can't say about the LaRue HS since I don't have one.

Please do if you get a chance.

Ryo
29 October 2011, 00:33
Please do if you get a chance.

Oh SO sorry. Totally forgot to check. Just did it now and here are some photos of a LW URX handstop (P/N 25985) with my Wilson Combat TRIM handguard. Surprisingly it's a perfect fit. The only difference is the screw size.. and just happens the screw size was overdrilled to the exact size of the Wilson Combat TRIM screw size, hence the perfect fit. I would have sworn that this handstop was meant for this rail.. In fact it's way easier to install on the TRIM than on the LW URX since I don't have to deal with the nut. One thing the handstop is missing is the grooves that guide to keep the straight without rotation. but since the handstop's width matches the rail width to the TRIM, there is minimal to no play when screwed down.

BTW thanks for getting me to look at this. I find it awesome since I have 2 of these handstops lying around. Guess i have to buy a 3rd to go with my unbuilt LW URX rail

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/KAC%20Wilson%20Combat%20Noveske%20SB/WilsonCombatTrimwithKACLWURXhandstop.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/KAC%20Wilson%20Combat%20Noveske%20SB/WilsonCombatTrimwithKACLWURXhandstop3.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/KAC%20Wilson%20Combat%20Noveske%20SB/WilsonCombatTrimwithKACLWURXhandstop2.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/Ryo_Shared/KAC%20Wilson%20Combat%20Noveske%20SB/WilsonCombatTRIMscrewversusMagpulKACLWURXscrew.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photos. [BD]

NickDrak
29 October 2011, 22:38
Im sold! Thanks dude. I had a feeling it might fit since from what I understand the guy who designed the T.R.I.M. and is now working for Wilson, used to work for KAC designing some of their gear in the recent past.

ETA: If you happen to have an extra URX3 handstop that you can spare, I will gladly take it off of your hands. Let me know....

Ryo
30 October 2011, 18:28
Are you talking about Marvin Pitts? He's the one that build this rifle for me. Don't know if he designed the TRIM, but he definitely works at Wilson Combat.

BTW No I don't have any of those handstops available. I might have a standard, but that's not what your looking for.

NickDrak
30 October 2011, 23:23
Yes, That is who I heard was designing the handguards for Wilson Combat.

No worries on the handstop, I found one.

NickDrak
2 November 2011, 17:49
Ahhh! I logged onto the Wilson Combat webstore to place my order for the 14" T.R.I.M. last night, and it was listed as "Out-of-Stock". NOOOOOOO!!!!! I called Wilson this morning and I was told it was 5-6 weeks before they would have any more 14's in-stock. Crap-ola. Cant wait that long. I ended up ordering a Troy "Alpha" 14" TRX with the built-in front sight.

Ryo
2 November 2011, 19:45
Oh bummer.

For me, Marvin was kind enough to send me some accessories for the TRIM. I'll take photos of them later. It was a pleasant surprise it arrived today. He sent the vertical grip, QD attachment swivel, and a couple of rails. What a great guy.

NickDrak
2 November 2011, 23:05
I checked their website yesterday at work and they were still listed as "In-Stock" at around 6pm. When I got home at around 1am they were gone! Oh well, cant blame anyone but myself for that one!

Thanks for taking the time to check the KAC handstop compatibility and post those pics for me.