PDA

View Full Version : Gear?

The-S
20 May 2011, 10:39
For running carbine classes and general use what is my best bet? Chest rig, battle belt or some kind of combination and why?
Raven or some other type of of kydex holster that maybe doesn't take 4 months to get. Mag carriers, kydex or something else? Bring a light? Anything else? Whats the most practice setup? Lets get your opinions.

BravoHotel
20 May 2011, 10:57
Good question S! I often wonder the same thing as I begin to slowly fill my gear closet.

At the moment I'm running what I use for IDPA:
*kydex OWB holster that is based of Raven design (found the guy on ebay and his work is stellar!)
*1.75" belt
*2 individual kydex mag holders (from same guy)

Now that I'm getting ready to sign up for my first carbine course I'd love to see some input on OP's post.

Stickman
20 May 2011, 22:48
For running carbine classes and general use what is my best bet? Chest rig, battle belt or some kind of combination and why?
Raven or some other type of of kydex holster that maybe doesn't take 4 months to get. Mag carriers, kydex or something else? Bring a light? Anything else? Whats the most practice setup? Lets get your opinions.

How much gear do you expect to hold? Lets start from there.

The-S
21 May 2011, 01:18
How much gear do you expect to hold? Lets start from there.

Don't have a clue. I would assume at the least a pistol, 4 pistol mags, and maybe 4-6 rifle mags?

tac40
21 May 2011, 07:07
"KISS", a good MOLLE belt, kydex holster, ammo pouch-pistol and rifle, dump bag and medic pouch would be a good start. Take a look at the VTAC/TYR BROKOS BATTLE BELT and Jones COBRA belt.

rob_s
21 May 2011, 07:39
There is a TON of information about this online, with everyone from all walks of life offering their take. Just make sure that you weigh what you hear from someone against their level of experience and their situation as it relates to your own. What a cop, or soldier, uses may not be the same as what you need.

My take is that for the civilian, the pistol is the primary, and that if you don't have a handgun, and a license to carry it (if legally allowed) then that's where you need to start where self-defense is concerned. Load carriage, therefore, should be built around your daily carry setup. If you buy a chest rig and it doesn't work with your carry holster, it's the wrong rig, not an excuse to run out and get a thigh-holster (or, the way some wear them, a knee holster). Every training event should be an opportunity to work with your carry gun, holster, and other equipment in the way that you carry it every day, and add to that as needed for the larger load-out needed to get through training.

More here
http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/56227.html

Hmac
21 May 2011, 08:53
I split it up and use a combination. I use a Tactical Tailor padded belt with a Blade-Tech DOH holster. On the support side, I have a double pistol mag pouch and a dump pouch in the back and that's my default for callouts. If I'm doing a pistol course, I put a second double pistol mag pouch on and that's all I wear. If it's a high round-count carbine course, I attach a couple of ITW FastMags to the belt instead of the second pistol mag pouch and in addition wear a Tactical Tailor MAV with 4 EMDOM M4 mag pouches and a couple of pistol mag pouches. That lets me carry 6 extra M4 magazines and gets me by even at a high round count carbine course (I have Combative Carbine II coming up in October).

Stickman
21 May 2011, 09:32
Don't have a clue. I would assume at the least a pistol, 4 pistol mags, and maybe 4-6 rifle mags?

That is a lot of gear, and in that case, I would recommend what HMAC mentioned. By using a good pistol belt, you have the ability to split your load, while with a tac vest, 2 piece MAV, or carrier, you are able to carry the bulk of the Rifle mags and half the pistol mags. In addition, you can add a hydration source to your gear this way, as well as a med kit or utility kit in case you feel you might need it.

On the belt I would keep 2 pistol mags, and a rifle mag or two, and the pistol obviously goes on it as well. Add a knife or multi-tool, and you can call the belt done.

The-S
21 May 2011, 10:21
good input guys!

CCK
21 May 2011, 11:34
I agree with Rob. I have a Glock on my hip if I need more I need it right now. To ME that means a rifle and extra ammo. I use a bag. Specifically a Maxpedition Active Shooter. 2 Rifle Mags, 1 extra pistol mag, flashlight, IFAK, blade.

Chris

Uglyduck
21 May 2011, 18:58
I follow the same methodology as many here. My belt is my primary load carrier with a pistol mag (but add as many as required for a class) and are the Universal Mag Pouch from TAG. They fit my .45 and 9mm mags and use a magnet, elastic, and cordura to retain the mag making for solid retention and a smooth draw. I also put on a dump pouch (because its handy on the range, I don't EDC it obviously), and the kydex holster that I use for carry. The belt is an inner/outer type duty belt from Jones Tactical which allows me to remove it and leave gear on it and the velcro keeps it from riding up in the back. I found it to be convenient and comfortable for classes and matches while still replicating my daily carry setup. I'll add an ITW Fast Mag to the belt for a carbine class and will supplement it with a BFG Ten Speed-like chest rig which I feed the belt with.

I came to these conclusions by reading Rob's article a few years ago, seeking other opinions, then applied the various theories in training. I adjusted as needed to suit my shooting style and equipment.

oregonshooter
23 May 2011, 19:22
Unless you just want to play dress up, I think one needs to evaluate their needs and fit the gear to them, not the other way around which most tend to do. Make sure the gear is appropriate for the scenario you see yourself in which requires a carbine.

Outside of a Zombie Apocalypse, I can't see a situation that would require more than adding one or two AR15 mag pouches to my EDC belt and a slung carbine. 84 rounds of .223 and 34 rounds of 9mm should handle any Katrina type situation in spades. Which is the scenario I see myself adding a carbine to the mix for.

That said, the last class I went to (Dave Harrington's) I ran a chest harness and 6004 leg rig. I wanted to see how it compared to my normal 3gun setup (described above) as far as time and MOA. There is no comparison. The "low profile" version is much faster, more natural (since it's what I practice with) and a lot lighter. It is also the max amount of armament I can realistically foresee a need for as non-MIL. Of course YMMV.