PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense Torture Test

hwaya
23 May 2011, 11:46
Here's a pretty cool video on DD and aimpoints reliability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfojMy1MWok&feature=player_embedded

Stickman
23 May 2011, 15:03
While there are plenty of weapons that could have held up to that sort of abuse, I don't believe there are any optics other than Aimpoint which would have.

The larger surprise to me was that the typical weak points were not bothered, which include the stock, receiver extension, magazine and VFG. There were great pains taken in the video to make sure the weapon was thrown flat so these spots did not take the brunt of the impact, but its still worth pointing out these remained intact.

nobodyspecial
23 May 2011, 16:37
I am extremely pleased with my Comp M2 and this just sealed it for me, I will be buying a T1. That Aimpoint took some extremely hard hits, and kept working.

oregonshooter
23 May 2011, 18:57
The only thing I got out of it was the T1 is rock solid.

UrbanPioneer
24 May 2011, 06:30
let's take it up a notch. hehe

why not rip the aimpoint off and fire some more shots at the steel using irons at the end there?

i love my comp m4. aimpoints are just... elegant. I was cringing seeing the rifle banged around like that. it looks like they switched or repaired the USGI mag once or twice in there. i'm thinking a pmag would have held up pretty well.

overall a great torture test video - A+ would watch more like it.

Wondering Beard
24 May 2011, 10:48
While there are plenty of weapons that could have held up to that sort of abuse, I don't believe there are any optics other than Aimpoint which would have.

The larger surprise to me was that the typical weak points were not bothered, which include the stock, receiver extension, magazine and VFG. There were great pains taken in the video to make sure the weapon was thrown flat so these spots did not take the brunt of the impact, but its still worth pointing out these remained intact.

Just like Stickman, I was impressed by how those parts survived.

I had questions about the robustness of the Omega X rail, but not any more.

I would imagine that the FSP rail also protected the FSB rather well and I wonder if they could have gotten the same resutls with a front BUIS that attaches to the rail. I would also be curious as to whether the zero held with the iron sights.

All in all, while I believe that a Colt or BCM would have probably held up just as well, I'm still very impressed.

Eric
24 May 2011, 15:03
I think the beating is more of a testament to the original design than anything.

Quib
24 May 2011, 15:44
I think the beating is more of a testament to the original design than anything.

I agree.

I've always known Aimpoint made top notch optics, but that video was pretty impressive in that respect. I sent the link to a buddy who just recently purchased his first AR and was asking about optics. I recommended hands down Aimpoint. I think that video sold him on my suggestion.

Paulo_Santos
25 May 2011, 11:23
I'd like to see other optics tested in that matter. Aimpoints, EOTechs, and ACOGs and see how they'd hold up.

Aragorn
25 May 2011, 14:03
I'd like to see other optics tested in that matter. Aimpoints, EOTechs, and ACOGs and see how they'd hold up.

I'd be willing to bet ACOG's would hold up to that or similar abuse.

I also think that the torture test shows that the "extra strength" or "stiffness/durability" of billet receivers is mostly irrelevant.

tac40
28 May 2011, 08:17
I use Aimpoint M-4 & T-1 and DD rails on my personal rifles, so far I have NOT dropped it from a helicopter or thrown it from the back of a truck, however I did take it through Viking tactical and Magul Dynamics carbine classes and they held up well. As said maybe Eugene Stoner's AR design still rocks after all these yrs.

oregonshooter
31 May 2011, 16:22
A little off topic, but As for DD rails...

I have a 12FSB that I have blasted and cerakoted like 4 times now and normally I have to be careful on rails because they are often HA-II or very weak HA-III, but the DD is like HA-V as the stuff is on thick and sticks like glue compared to other top end makers that I've also coated.

Whoever is anodizing their rails is doing a hell of a job, best I've seen yet by 3X. Very good stuff!