PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle devices

GTIdentity
23 May 2011, 13:31
I have a question that someone might be able to help me with, and make a recommendation.

One of my favorite AR based rifles of mine is my “long range” rig. It sports a very nice 20” SS Walther 1:8 barrel, with an 11° target crown. It has shown itself to be a 1MOA set up.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac136/GTIdentity/IMG_0011.jpg

I am looking to put a compensator on it to control muzzle flip, and flip only. There is of course no issue with recoil on a .223. But, it seems, regardless of the inherent weight of the barrel and the rifle as a whole, I still experience what I think is a lot a flip. In fact this thing seems to hop around in a most annoying manner. This makes good follow through practices and follow up shots a drag. Shots out 400 plus yards with no spotter can be hard to know where I am hitting, or not as the case may be. I am also trying to improve and where needed, modify my technique, but I can’t seem to get a consistent result.

So………… I am going to send the barrel in to be threaded and I am looking for recommendations for a muzzle device that has proven itself to deal with flip.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Paulo_Santos
23 May 2011, 16:33
There are several muzzle brakes that are good for what you want.

The rainiers arms muzzle brake, FSC556, PRI QC, JP brake, battle comp.

GTIdentity
23 May 2011, 17:34
There are several muzzle brakes that are good for what you want.

The rainiers arms muzzle brake, FSC556, PRI QC, JP brake, battle comp.

I run the Rainer Arms XTC on my carbine and I think it's great.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac136/GTIdentity/IMG_01201.jpg

In your experience, is there one that is purpose built for muzzle control, or are they all going to accomplish the same thing? I find it hard to figure out the performance characteristics between brakes, flash hiders, compensators, and all the variants.

Paulo_Santos
24 May 2011, 02:17
All of those that I mentioned are muzzle brakes, which are designed to control muzzle rise and help with recoil. Flash hisses just help with the flash. Does the Rainier Arms control the muzzle good on your carbine?

GTIdentity
24 May 2011, 12:43
All of those that I mentioned are muzzle brakes, which are designed to control muzzle rise and help with recoil. Flash hisses just help with the flash. Does the Rainier Arms control the muzzle good on your carbine?

Yes it does. In fact, I am considering using one on the 20". I am just unsure how to compare the carbine to the 20" since each weapon is operating under different circumstances. I am familliar with all the brake you have mentioned, they are all great products. I would consider any of them, if it had a demonstrated superior performance. Just trying to ID the best solution. "Buy once", and like your choice.

Paulo_Santos
24 May 2011, 15:38
Is noise or side blast an issue?

eldogg
24 May 2011, 18:55
while it is very functional as a break, i find it to be very uncomfortable wearing standard ear plugs, even behind the trigger.. i know this is not recommended, but i bored it out and put it on a 7.62x39 barrel. it still does it's job as a break, and the noise level isn't as near as bad with the lower velocity.

GTIdentity
25 May 2011, 12:22
Is noise or side blast an issue?

I guess noise mostly. The range that I shoot at is packed with a variety of rifles with breaks and it can be loud. Most everyone wears cans, so I guess its no big deal. I just don't want to be "that guy", you know what I mean. I know though that some of the breaks out there are just way loud, even in .223. Anyway, my main concern is controll of the muzzle flip, so I gotta do what I gotta do, within reason.

Paulo_Santos
25 May 2011, 12:30
Most breaks are loud in general. There's not too much you can do about it. the FSC, PRI, and the JP are loud and the PRI and JP have a lot of side blast. The BattleComp is the quietest and has the least side blast, but it is expensive and not quite as good as the others in controlling the muzzle flip. I never shot the Rainier Arms, so I can't compare.

GTIdentity
25 May 2011, 13:18
Most breaks are loud in general. There's not too much you can do about it. the FSC, PRI, and the JP are loud and the PRI and JP have a lot of side blast. The BattleComp is the quietest and has the least side blast, but it is expensive and not quite as good as the others in controlling the muzzle flip. I never shot the Rainier Arms, so I can't compare.

Thanks for the feed back. I appreciate it!

Dualspringfields
6 August 2011, 17:50
Just got my Rainier Arms XTC in this morning . Put it on and went shot 60 rounds. I like it. I can tell the difference. Had a YHM Phantom on before. Could not tell that much difference with the noise. Didn't have anyone with me either though. Glad I bought it.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/dualspringfields/rainierarmsxtc1.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/dualspringfields/rainierarmsxtc2.jpg
Comparison Left to Right: Birdcage,XTC and Phantom
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/dualspringfields/rainierarmsXTC4.jpg

Video I shot with my Droid taped to the front of my AimPoint. Some how it got switched to negative. Im by no means a compentition shooter or anything.[:)]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=fbwEPoZpqCM

TehLlama
13 August 2011, 03:24
As you eluded to with some of the other guys on the line, a suppressor is the mythical device you speak of that reduces muzzle flip without increasing noise or negatively impacting accuracy, but that's its own can of worms.
The XTC isn't a bad choice, I wouldn't consider the Battlecomp ideal in this case, but would still be looking at the PRI, OPS, and JP offerings, even if you're concerned about being 'that guy'. On the bright side, it is at least a couple feet from your face.
You might be able to fudge it further just by loading the bipod more yourself, but that's only going to get glass back on target faster in a couple of cases, so that's hardly a fix.

chazthebiker
13 August 2011, 11:56
I do have a Rainier Arms XTC and think it does a fine job. Sure is loud though... I think all comps are.

MCKNBRD
29 August 2011, 20:23
I'm going to be the odd guy out and ask about conditions where you shoot. You have a pretty snazzy bipod on that rig...have you tried taking it off and slinging up and shooting? Or shooting it off sandbags, instead of the bipe?

Bipods don't handle recoil well. ANY recoil. They're steel and aluminum and other stuff that tends to not flex well, and the recoil impulse is driven into the shooting surface, and physics kicks in. Before I hacked up a great shooter and hung something off the end of the barrel that will undoubtably screw up your accuracy, I'd try shooting off dirt/grass or getting a sandbag up on a bench and see what it does.

You might be surprised.

Of course, if you insist on hanging something off the end, look into some of Liberty Suppressors' offerings. Or AAC. Or Surefire. Or...well, you get the picture.

Byrdman

oregonshooter
29 August 2011, 21:44
Don't take this personally, but flip is not an issue on a long range gun in .223

You need to learn to get behind the recoil to mitigate it. Adding a brake will only mask your underlying issue which is fundamentals. You should be able to hold the SP through recoil on a .223 like that and pick it back up almost instantly on .308 + if your squared to the recoil. Check out Franks video on the matter here... http://youtu.be/u8rkt1HRWdo