PDA

View Full Version : Mega Monolithic vs. DD Lite Rail

chazthebiker
4 June 2011, 21:23
Pretend there is no price difference. Has anyone out there got experience with both? I have a mega billet upper / lower receiver set and could use a DD Lite rail with no problem. I actually think the DD Lite looks better than the Larue rail on my 6.8 SPC rifle, yet the Mega Monolithic setup looks very clean. Something about the way the DD Lite rail bolts up looks good. But what about durability and function? I have heard that with the DD Lite one can use a pinned gas block. The drawback to the Mega Monolithic setup is that the gas block is secured via two set screws and pinning cannot be done.

So, if you had your druthers... which of the two would you chose and why? Each has its plusses and minuses, which is true of any combination.

TripleBravo
5 June 2011, 00:00
If your gas block is going to be under the Mega Monolithic rail, you are correct, you cannot pin the gas block. That said, for many, having a gas block UNDER the rail gives it enough protection that pinning isn't really necessary...especially if you dimple the barrel for the gas block. Check out my review of the first generation Mega MTS-400 here: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2716-Mega-Arms-MTS-400-Review

The Gen 2 Mega Monolithic rails have larger vents holes and incorporated QD swivels which are a nice improvement. It would also match up very well with your Mega lower. The Mega Monolithic upper does have some unique lines that don't appeal to everybody.

For absolute ruggedness. I don't think there is a rail system out there that beats the DD Lite Rail. There are several that might come darn close to being as good, but their bolt up design is simply rock solid.

chazthebiker
5 June 2011, 00:29
If your gas block is going to be under the Mega Monolithic rail, you are correct, you cannot pin the gas block. That said, for many, having a gas block UNDER the rail gives it enough protection that pinning isn't really necessary...especially if you dimple the barrel for the gas block. Check out my review of the first generation Mega MTS-400 here: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2716-Mega-Arms-MTS-400-Review

The Gen 2 Mega Monolithic rails have larger vents holes and incorporated QD swivels which are a nice improvement. It would also match up very well with your Mega lower. The Mega Monolithic upper does have some unique lines that don't appeal to everybody.

For absolute ruggedness. I don't think there is a rail system out there that beats the DD Lite Rail. There are several that might come darn close to being as good, but their bolt up design is simply rock solid.

Yes, I have read your review and already have one rifle with the MTS-400 because of your review. Between your and Stickman's photo journalistic finesse I find it hard to stay out of trouble buying this stuff. The redesign on the MTS 400 makes it even more tempting. I wonder if there are GEN 1s laying around at a special price? I love mine.

I pass through Auburn, Washington a couple of times a year and have been in the Rainier Arms store a couple of times. In fact, I will be there next week. A few of the rifles on the wall have the DD Lite rail. For me, the DD Lite is a great looking rail and, like you said, seems rock solid. Does the DD Lite require alignment with the top rail of the upper? Or does it happen automatically upon install? My 6.8 rifle runs a Larue rail... it was a pain to align until I bought the alignment tool through Brownells. I may replace it with a DD Lite. Hate the gap.

It is good to know the DD Lite is as rugged as I had hoped. Thank you for your reply TripleBravo.

Paulo_Santos
5 June 2011, 03:53
I would get the Mega if it was me. I prefer the monolithic uppers because they are more durable and the mega has the QD slots.

Stickman
5 June 2011, 18:58
If you are going to be up near Rainier Arms, or another store that carries both, I would strongly suggest going in and handling them both. I've got a feeling you will be drawn towards one over the other. The Mega mono is very nice, but check them both out and see what you think.

chazthebiker
16 June 2011, 01:18
I did just that the other day Stickman. I think I will stick with the Mega Monolithic system. The DD Lite would save a lot of money and it is very nice, but I have decided to stay more standardised across my rifles. It isn't going to be a very diverse group of rifles, but there is something to be said for familiarity in an emergency too.

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/chazthebiker/Weapons/ar15RWB.jpg

chazthebiker
5 September 2011, 11:05
Well, circumstances have dictated now that I go with the DD Lite 14" rail for my third and final rifle. Still a nice rail though!

TehLlama
5 September 2011, 21:11
I find myself gravitating towards that same rail to finish my builds as well...

chazthebiker
6 September 2011, 23:05
I find myself gravitating towards that same rail to finish my builds as well...

Well, I would have liked to hold out for another Mega Monolithic so my 5.56 rifles would match, but just cannot see where the money was going to be coming from. That said, the DD Lite 14" rail came today and I must say I like it much better than the Larue rail I have on my 6.8 Noveske build. I've not put it on yet, but I can see already that I like the way it bolts up better than the Larue. I may pull the Larue Rail off, sell it, and get a second DD Lite Rail. The DD Rail is not nearly so sharp edged as the Larue and there is no gap between the upper reciever and the rail. For me, the DD Lite Rail is a real good second choice. In fact, I like the way the socket head screws look on the weapon.

There are plenty of Larue fans out there that would buy the Larue rail from me I think. I'll keep the dillos and cap though. [:D]

At the very least, at least I now have three complete rifles (once I put #3 together), and I can always switch to a Mega Monolithic later if conditions improve. Still have to get slings, optics, sling swivels.....

The DD Lite rail is a very nice top shelf product. There is no reason to be disappointed if you go that route.

TehLlama
7 September 2011, 05:35
I like both of those handguards, but the Lite rail profile loaded with LT Index clips (interestingly enough) is my favorite handguard profile. The fact that it's rugged, light, and attractive are great too. The 14" is going to be my 4th Lite Rail, and I expect it will be loaded identically to my two 12" units I already adore.

chazthebiker
7 September 2011, 18:09
I like both of those handguards, but the Lite rail profile loaded with LT Index clips (interestingly enough) is my favorite handguard profile. The fact that it's rugged, light, and attractive are great too. The 14" is going to be my 4th Lite Rail, and I expect it will be loaded identically to my two 12" units I already adore.

You are right, it is a good looking setup and is rugged. Hard as I try, I cannot remember why I went with Larue on my first build instead of DD Lite. Maybe it cost less? Maybe I read too much on ARFCOM... can't remember. Larue makes a real nice rail for sure. Just wish I had gone another route.

This will be my last rifle with a free floated rail. Any additional rifles will be very basic with traditional hand guards. Before any of that happens, I need to get squared away with accessories, a safe, etc.... which is all a huge expense by itself.